Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: RankCheck - Automatic leaderboard lookup tool [v1.3]
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 pm 

i was one of the first people to raise concerns about rank check....in character select.

i didn't really expect ronimo to completely eliminate its functionality though. nautsrankings.com seems to be having trouble lately as well. coincidence?

i gotta be honest here - looking people up before/during a game really just produces salt more than anything positive. it tends to give people anecdotal evidence they use to * on matchmaking, complain in forums, write off games as a loss before they've started, or help competent players pin point & exploit weak links in a team. if someone can describe some positive benefits for the game & the community that tools like this provide, i'd really like to know. just stating that this information is available elsewhere is not actually a positive benefit that the tool creates.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:13 am 

If any dev at Ronimo is reading this:

Please add a network log entry containing SteamID and team of each player when the match starts. Using this information, I'll be able to make RankCheck work again. I'd greatly appreciate it, as considerable development efforts have gone into both the server and client powering RankCheck.

robochase6000 wrote:
if someone can describe some positive benefits for the game & the community that tools like this provide, i'd really like to know.

Many users of RankCheck appreciated being able to easily see the extra information it provides, whether it's for reducing frustration during games by finding comfort in the fact that an ongoing loss may simply be the result of an unfortunate matchup (potentially raising motivation during the game, even allowing for comebacks), or just for satisfying their own curiosity about the players in the match.

It was featured as an overlay on several streams (Japiepatatzakie's and Adlands' streams, for instance), giving viewers an idea of how difficult the matchup might be from the streamer's perspective.

Not everyone who sees the leaderboard statistics of their teammates and enemies goes on to leave the match and/or complain. As for those who do: the idea is that players who know they'll regret seeing this information would refrain from using this tool, just as they'd refrain from looking up players on Nautsrankings.

RankCheck intended to bring back the long gone feature of league numbers on the scoreboard. Unlike said league numbers, however, it is an entirely optional feature: each player decides for themselves if they want to download and use RankCheck.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:30 am 

I would be happy to even be able to see rank after game is done. Just want to know what rank ppl in the match were.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:09 am 

LonePimp wrote:
I can't believe there is no plan to bring this back. Rankcheck was so helpful at alleviating some frustration and confusion, like when you get stomped one match and get 20 kills the next. Oh its cuz look, I was fighting against rank 50 when I'm around 7,000 that makes sense. Shame on you Ronimo. Fix it.

I can only laugh about this. This tool is only a crutch for having some subjective relief from how horrible Ronimo's matchmaking is. But people are so tired of this s**t that they even need psychological help now. :cocoon:

The game has been in a downward spiral since the XP-System and team levels. Even if the game was balanced, SoloQ is a torturous experience to submit yourself to anymore. Idk how blind the devs must be to not understand how these two things are related.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 am 

Literally the only use of RankCheck is to point out when matchmaking is broken. What needs done is for matchmaking to be fixed. Hard limits and all that.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:30 am 

the quality of matchmaking is irrelevant. seeing how matchmaking works is just one use of rankcheck. as maru said, people liked seeing the extra information out of curiosity, or as a stream overlay. if you don't see any use for it that's fine, but don't devalue the program and users who see positive benefits from it.

it looks pretty bad on ronimo to invalidate the work that went into rankcheck not long after it was adjusted to meet their standards. not to mention their "fix" won't actually prevent programs from being created to be able to see players before a match; it just requires more work.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 am 

mimiroru92 wrote:
don't devalue the program and users who see positive benefits from it

I didn't devalue it. I actually believe people need that psychological relief while suffering this bs matchmaking. Though on the other hand, if you lost to worse players than you, knowing that could have an opposite effect. I kinda have just accepted now that matchmaking is complete and utter * and I'm not planning on using that tool.

The game has been in a downward spiral since the XP-System and team levels. Even if the game was balanced, SoloQ is a torturous experience to submit yourself to anymore. Idk how blind the devs must be to not understand how these two things are related.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:23 pm 

RankCheck: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/5.4.0/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by /mnt/1/RankCheck)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:00 pm 

Hi Satou, thanks for the issue report.

The error you're experiencing is caused by RankCheck targeting a higher version of the libstdc++ library than you have installed. I will lower the version requirement as far as possible in future releases of RankCheck to improve compatibility with different Linux distributions, which will hopefully fix the issue for you.

However, even if you were able to launch RankCheck, Ronimo has made some changes to Awesomenauts that prevent the program from working. I've attempted contacting developers at Ronimo about this, requesting a log entry to be added to the game, containing the SteamID and team of each player when the match begins (which would allow RankCheck to work again without providing an unfair advantage to players who use it), but have not received any further response.

To my knowledge, no such entry is present in Awesomenauts' "ApplicationNetwork" or "ApplicationOther" log files as of version 4.4.2, but I'll release an update for RankCheck if such an entry does indeed get added, including the aforementioned libstdc++ dependency fix for Linux.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 pm 

Thanks, I'll wait