Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Matchmaking Is Not Terrible
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:50 am 

Please Hear me out.
Thank you in advance.

From my anecdotal experience matchmaking is actually good. Most of my games are with evenly matched players and when I do ask at the start what league everyone is placed at it is usually L1 or L2.

I have played this game for over 1.6k hours (most should recognise the username) and I can definitely say that matchmaking is way better then it used to be in terms of getting into a game and fighting even opponents.

I play both solo, duo and full premade.

So when people keep saying that matchmaking is terrible I feel like I am playing a different game or something.

Yes, NOT ALL games are good. Sometimes matchmaking can wonky.

Again, I just wanted to put my anecdotal experience out there as a lot of people put theirs out there as well.

I truly believe that it is the confirmation bias as work which is causing players to just remember the few bad matches when compared to most of the good matches.

Again, try using the new rank identifier app to see whether your intuition is actually correct.

Thank you for reading to the end.

Shotgun Fetish wrote:
I've seen a lot of emotion and hyperbole on the topic of matchmaking, so I thought I'd throw a little science at it and see if the data support the hypothesis that matchmaking is fine, or that matchmaking is terrible.

Keep in mind, in a perfectly balanced world, any given player should be winning about 1/2 their games; that is to say, if all matches are perfectly balanced, you should have an even 50/50 shot at winning any given game.

Obviously, that breaks down at the top and bottom ends of play because at the top, there are no longer enough players better than you to create balanced matches, and at the bottom, there are not longer enough players worse than you. We see these effects at the top, but at the bottom there aren't really enough active players for the effects to be obvious.

I did two analyses of leaderboard data; in the first, I looked at the win rate of all players with at least 30 games played this season. Students of statistics will know why I chose the number 30, and students of this game and its leaderboards will cry foul, knowing 30 games is no where near enough for a player's rating changes, and therefore position on the leaderboard to "settle."

Here is the result of the first analysis:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVmL6ij8s30buZHq2

As you can see from the distribution, the data skew slightly right, but are generally very normally distributed. In a very general sense, that means we're seeing exactly the kind of win/loss ratios we would expect in a well balanced system. There's a large number of people sitting right where they should be at 50/50, and tapering numbers moving to the left and right.

Now, it gets interesting when you consider players with more games played this season and, therefore, more "settled" leadboard positions. The results from that analysis are here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f4iRkyweF9DQFxmk2

Here, the rightwise skew is much more pronounced, meaning players with greater than 100 games played are winning more games than we would predict in a well balanced ecosystem. Here, we can probably see the effect that's driving all the complaints; for the most skilled players, the games are too easy because there aren't enough quality opponents to challenge them.

If Ronimo were to find a way to create perfectly balanced matches at all skill levels (an impossible ask, in my opinion) we would see win rates drop for all but the very top players, and this distribution would level out.

If you're interested in the full analysis including all the statistical measures I took on this dataset, let me know. I've left them off here because the histograms alone really tell the tale quite well. Cheers, love, and please be excellent to one another,

Shotgun Fetish

Last edited by Hero on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Matchmaking Is Not Terrible
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:28 am 

rank isnt valid anymore

I don't care enough to check if it ever was

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 am 

rating and rank standing hasn't mattered this season since it went over 4 months.

oh and i do use maru's rankchecker yet still get placed in l4~ games on any of my league 1 accounts lmao

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:53 am 

Eh, it probably depends on the time and the region you're playing from. When I play in morning hours, I get long queues, league disparity and laggy opponents. In the evening hours, it's usually pretty okay.

Whether it's confirmation bias or not doesn't actually matter. What matters is how players experience the game. If a significant group of players feel as if they're being matched poorly, then the game is at fault. You can't expect people to 'have some mercy' when there are thousands of other games out there. This isn't some daycare programme where we all laugh at poor peformances, this is the gaming industry where tons of developers fight for a spot on the market.

If this game makes players feel bad, they'll go to the next game. Simple as that. You can't expect a (new) player to use an external tool to confirm whether or not his feelings are justified, that's outrageous. It doesn't matter if his feelings are justified, what matters is that he's not pleased. You aren't going to change that by starting a holy crusade to show more mercy to developers.

~ Embrace your dreams.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:30 am 

obviously everyone will have a different experience, however the amount of times someone with 17000+rating should be in the same lobby as someone with <13000 or even <14000 rating is 0. Not once every 10 matches or anything, 0.

my experience is usually having 2 or more league 3s and worse in a game spread out amongst other teams which is a super * experience.

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:43 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Zold wrote:
...What matters is how players experience the game. If a significant group of players feel as if they're being matched poorly, then the game is at fault. You can't expect people to 'have some mercy' when there are thousands of other games out there. This isn't some daycare programme where we all laugh at poor peformances, this is the gaming industry where tons of developers fight for a spot on the market...

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Zold wrote:
...What matters is how players experience the game. If a significant group of players feel as if they're being matched poorly, then the game is at fault. You can't expect people to 'have some mercy' when there are thousands of other games out there. This isn't some daycare programme where we all laugh at poor peformances, this is the gaming industry where tons of developers fight for a spot on the market...

Also I don't know about you but when I ask I get one player who claims League 6 and another who claims League 2. :think:

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:00 am 

I've had okay matches since the last hotfix.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:22 am 

Yeah my matchmaking's been aight.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:35 am 

Xelrog wrote:
I've had okay matches since the last hotfix.

Me 2