Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Golden Guns and Awesomepoint sinks
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:22 am 

kathy wrote:
can someone explain how replacing color ranges in photoshop is supposed to be even remotely hard

^

Slevens wrote:
How do you do a pallet swap when both skins of the character need to be red or blue. Changing minuscule things like a head piece or a bit of clothing; people won't notice them. Due to how Awesomenauts' in game art is you can't really do a palette swap so it leads to the devs having to make a new skin with more visually identifying changes.
Name of thread wrote:
Golden Guns and Awesomepoint sinks

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :scoop: :sleep: #BuffBoiCow
:think: [Femme :thumb: Fatal] Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:12 am 

Slevens wrote:
How do you do a pallet swap when both skins of the character need to be red or blue. Changing minuscule things like a head piece or a bit of clothing; people won't notice them. Due to how Awesomenauts' in game art is you can't really do a palette swap so it leads to the devs having to make a new skin with more visually identifying changes.

Finally, someone said something that I thought should have been clear to everyone from the start, or maybe not...

The game has been in a downward spiral since the XP-System and team levels. Even if the game was balanced, SoloQ is a torturous experience to submit yourself to anymore. Idk how blind the devs must be to not understand how these two things are related.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:24 am 

kathy wrote:
can someone explain how replacing color ranges in photoshop is supposed to be even remotely hard

Joost can :ugeek:
http://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=696500#p696500

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:42 am 

MurlocAggroB wrote:
kathy wrote:

Joost can :ugeek:
http://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=696500#p696500

THANK YOU! That's one of the posts I was searching for :worship:

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:53 am 

conorbebe wrote:
Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol seriously dude, palette swaps are nowhere near as hard as you think they are.

Then please, enlighten me.

I already have. Editing colours is not hard. Download a spritesheet for any of the characters from spriter's resource and switch around some colours in an image editor. A 12 year old can do this.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
MurlocAggroB wrote:

While I can appreciate the sentiment that it would be some amount of work, are Ronimo expecting these features to spring fully formed from the heavens and land squarely on their desks by lunch?

Sometimes a bit of effort goes a long way.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Sometimes a bit of effort goes a long way.

Excuse me, that's a bit more than a "little bit of effort" for something that will

A. Earn Ronimo no money.

B. Eat up tonnes of development time on future 'Nauts and paid-for-money skins.

C. Not even be used by many people, as proven by Heroes of the Storm.

More unlockable garbage is fine if people really want that, but unlockable skins, from all angles, is a terrible, time-and-money wasting, bad idea.

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:57 pm 

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
conorbebe wrote:
Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol seriously dude, palette swaps are nowhere near as hard as you think they are.

Then please, enlighten me.

I already have. Editing colours is not hard. Download a spritesheet for any of the characters from spriter's resource and switch around some colours in an image editor. A 12 year old can do this.

Awesomenauts sprites have more than 16 colors.

This would have to be done by hand for every sheet in the game, including skins. Bear in mind that there are many instances where the colors of weapons are used elsewhere on the sprites, if we're talking about golden weapons or something, too.

Why are we even having this discussion when there are a million other options for things to spend Awesomepoints on that are way easier for the devs and just as rewarding for the player? Stop asking for custom animations and sprites. They're not happening. Menu backgrounds, particle effects, and shop overlays are all way more time-efficient.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:31 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
MurlocAggroB wrote:
Excuse me, that's a bit more than a "little bit of effort" for something that will

A. Earn Ronimo no money.

B. Eat up tonnes of development time on future 'Nauts and paid-for-money skins.

C. Not even be used by many people, as proven by Heroes of the Storm.

More unlockable garbage is fine if people really want that, but unlockable skins, from all angles, is a terrible, time-and-money wasting, bad idea.

"A little bit of effort goes a long way" is a saying. I also agree with your point on unlockable skins. I did actually mention it before, explicitly.

I am not insinuating that palette-swaps are quick nor fun because they are not, but the concept of putting in the effort to reap the rewards later is not something that stops existing just because the effort required becomes great.

There is no denying, from any point of view and with any argument, that the Awesomepoints system has been implemented poorly. Little to buy with the points and no real value to them. At some point, if Ronimo wants the system to be successful, they will have to put in effort to make it so. I am not saying palette-swaps are the thing we need, but whatever they come up with will require time to create, no different to palette-swaps.

Unless we leave the system to rot, in which case what has the F2P release achieved at all aside from take away a source of revenue and highlight flaws in the matchmaking?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 pm 

I have an idea for an Awesomepoints sink. :chew:
Essentially, it would be our game's equivalent of sprays and banners. The tech for these things is already in the game I believe, it's just being used in areas that no one ever sees.
Both of these would utilize the little news banners and map warnings that show up in the drop pod area and base. When you get close to these nodes, little messages and pictures show up.

"Sprays" would actually be little holographic projector nodes that you can drop. They'd be tied to a new key and drop under your 'Nauts' feet. Could even have "ammo" that you'd need to buy more of. Honestly I'd love for there to be an animation of them throwing it on the ground, but that's a new animation for every single 'Naut.
Problems that would arise from this is that it would add to visual clutter around the map and unless carefully implemented could lead to confusion of whether it's a skill or not.

Banners would just show up in the drop pod area and be displayed alongside your team members. There's a lot of empty space back there not being used, and it could liven it up a little bit. Might be better if there were some way to show it off to your enemies too, but I can't readily think of a way that doesn't require shifting things in the map.

Aside from just another thing to slap art onto and sell for Awesomepoints, there could be special ones tied to events and contests, so people could really show off their skill/luck if they want. There could even be contests for fan-artists to make sprays and banners. Ronimo's been more supportive of fan-art than most companies have been, so it would be great to have something like this especially after the loss of the loading screen art gallery.