Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: A new season has started!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:49 am 
Ronimo Team Member

A new season has started! Enjoy!

This means everyone gets a fresh start at climbing the leaderboards. Since a new season is essentially a leaderboard reset it also means that the matchmaker won't know player skills for a while, so expect matchups to be all over the place for a few days.

Everyone has been reset to the default ranking of 10,000. Note that new players will still have a lower rating because anyone with less than 100 matches automatically gets reduced rating. So new players won't notice the reset as much as more experienced players.

This reset only influences your leaderboard rating. You'll keep any character and account progress you've made.

Post subject: Re: A new season has started!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:19 pm 

Joost wrote:
so expect matchups to be all over the place for a few days.

Not sure how to say this... but matchups were all over the place for me even before the reset. Maybe the matchmaker "knows" what matches are worth in terms of rating, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that at least half the matches feel only one sided and stupid for the whole duration. It doesn't help me to know that I probably won't lose much rating from those kinds of matches because I didn't get the best allies. I'm not just playing for rating, I'm playing for FUN!

Anyway, hope something with the matchmaking, rating system or leaderboard system will change soon, so we can all go back loving the game and not just complaining about these things.

Currently the game is great, and even balance is on the right track. But matchmaking is still the biggest problem with the game (maybe since day one?), and what is being done about it...?

The game has been in a downward spiral since the XP-System and team levels. Even if the game was balanced, SoloQ is a torturous experience to submit yourself to anymore. Idk how blind the devs must be to not understand how these two things are related.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:00 pm 

thanks joost/ronimo

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:09 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
I still do not think we were given an official word as to why your stance changed from "season resets are worse for matchmaking than just leaving everything as-is" to "season resets are better than not doing them at all, despite what we said on the Streamisho."

Being the horrifically persistent thing that I am, I would also like to say that it was said on this Streamisho in particular that you were looking to do a league reset, but only once you had a solution to the current matchmaking problems. Hence, either:

• The next Big Thing™ is a new matchmaking system that will help precisely no one at this point, or

• You were perhaps making random noises to fill the time the way those cute fish at aquariums bubble when you watch them for too long.

The direct quote that I like to consider here being:

"That's [a league reset] something we've been talking about quite a bit here at the office, but at this point we don't have a reset planned—at least for the foreseeable future, because it would have a huge impact on the matchmaking for players in... lower leagues especially, or at least with lower rating."

Made all the sweeter when you consider the multitude of changes made to Awesomenauts recently apparently aimed at improving the quality of play for the new players, who are now going to be shafted like they were at the start of the F2P launch if there are any of them left at this point.

Whoever is in charge of descrying that yet to come in the office really needs to hone their skills at some point in the "foreseeable future."

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:07 am 

maybe they realized that people were leaving the game as a result and decided to remedy that. even if we were bothered it took them so long and they were so resistant, its kinda sad to see no even sorta changing their tune towards ronimo when theyve finally listened and implemented something that has been requested for quite awhile.

Awesomenauts Rumble Tournament: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AwesomenautsRumble

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 am 

DeezNauts wrote:
Joost wrote:
so expect matchups to be all over the place for a few days.

Not sure how to say this... but matchups were all over the place for me even before the reset. Maybe the matchmaker "knows" what matches are worth in terms of rating, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that at least half the matches feel only one sided and stupid for the whole duration. It doesn't help me to know that I probably won't lose much rating from those kinds of matches because I didn't get the best allies. I'm not just playing for rating, I'm playing for FUN!

Anyway, hope something with the matchmaking, rating system or leaderboard system will change soon, so we can all go back loving the game and not just complaining about these things.

Currently the game is great, and even balance is on the right track. But matchmaking is still the biggest problem with the game (maybe since day one?), and what is being done about it...?

Absolute nonsense.

Matchmaker was not "all over the place before" you are clearly always blaming matchmaking for when you lose a match.

The matchmaker has been good and this whole "matchmaker is terrible" thing needs to die. It is actually good now.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am 

yes Ronimo, start a season without fixing your 3 godtiers, so I can grief harder than never and achieve player retention while * off and making ragequitting everyone in the process.

Good decision.

Discord français d'awesomenauts

Dominik305 wrote:
people who only play meta in any game should be gunned down at the street and skinned alive

CraftedNightmare wrote:
i'm trying to enjoy this *
Doppelganger wrote:
where's my popcorn bag

_olaffff wrote:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:51 am 

Doppelganger wrote:
yes Ronimo, start a season without fixing your 3 godtiers, so I can grief harder than never and achieve player retention while * off and making ragequitting everyone in the process.

Good decision.

What point do you think you are making here?

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:34 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
MrPillowTheGreat wrote:
maybe they realized that people were leaving the game as a result and decided to remedy that. even if we were bothered it took them so long and they were so resistant, its kinda sad to see no even sorta changing their tune towards ronimo when theyve finally listened and implemented something that has been requested for quite awhile.

While I agree it is better than simply letting the leaderboards fester as they were, such a big change in stance—on one of the, if not the largest issues with the game at the moment—with so little (read: zero) reasoning behind it/communication of said reasoning strikes me as slightly alarming, considering what was said on the stream.

At any rate, if we are now resetting the leaderboards, does this mean we have a solution to the matchmaking problems as I stated before?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:33 pm 

Hero wrote:
Absolute nonsense.

Matchmaker was not "all over the place before" you are clearly always blaming matchmaking for when you lose a match.

The matchmaker has been good and this whole "matchmaker is terrible" thing needs to die. It is actually good now.

Literally all you said here is "you're wrong and I'm right". Why is this dressed up as a counter argument? :lolstar:

How can you even argue on whether there is a problem when that's universally accepted already. We can only argue about what the cause is for the problem, not about whether the problem exists or not. Even Ronimo accepts there is a problem with matchmaking as they said numerous times themselves, if you had listened. The only difference is that Ronimo always loves to blame it on the small player base, never the algorithms, the way rating is determined and what the system passes as a good match. Those are all things that can and should be done differently than atm. because the current system routinely produces some WTF matches as we have clearly seen before they assassinated the RankCheck tool.

You probably don't play much at all, if you don't see a problem with the matchmaking. :party:

PS.: I hope the only reason they went on with the reset was because they finally realized that matchmaking will be broken either way, but this way we at least get a reset and a less stale game. Realization is half the battle.

The game has been in a downward spiral since the XP-System and team levels. Even if the game was balanced, SoloQ is a torturous experience to submit yourself to anymore. Idk how blind the devs must be to not understand how these two things are related.