Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts



Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2

Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:42 pm
Posts: 46
i think it would be nice if they listed the amount of players in the brawl que and the versus player online que next to their names or somewhere.

_________________
Interests: cute gf who likes videogames


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:41 pm
Posts: 837
GiantHippo96 wrote:
i think it would be nice if they listed the amount of players in the brawl que and the versus player online que next to their names or somewhere.


i'd rather see the queue time for each so that you can get an idea of which one has a shorter wait.

Also re: making brawls only available certain days of the week - no thanks. if it's going to be as fun or more fun than ranked games, i'd rather just be able to do brawls 24/7 - 99% less salt, lots more variety, free to experiment with wacky builds, etc

_________________
if my teammates are good, i always win.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 70
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Brawls!

I playing the unlimited power brawl over and over again made the game so much fun. Having all these broken nauts is awesome. Fully upgraded Clunk can literally take on a 1v3.

Making it on a specific day does sound reasanobale as it makes the brawl more unique and more specicial. It is like how Hearthstone does it and how Duelyst did it with gauntlet mode, maybe brawl every 4 days out of 7.

Well done Ronimo, excellent game mode!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 am
Posts: 1207
according to steamcharts, the playerbase has been on quite the rise lately
how active are brawls? could finally having some variety besides the same five maps be why more people seem interested in the game now?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 70
kathy wrote:
according to steamcharts, the playerbase has been on quite the rise lately
how active are brawls? could finally having some variety besides the same five maps be why more people seem interested in the game now?


You are right, it does appear to be on the rise.

The unlimited power brawl is just amazing! I am playing character I hardly ever play in ranked because it is so easy to be good with any char in this brawl. I also like the faster games and the fact that AI 404 is actually in the map pool.

Whenever they do rotate brawl they need to have unlimited power on a regular basis. I have just been pretty much playing that mode only.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Posts: 36
Personally, I have no interest in casual/alternative game mode such as brawl. While it's nice to have the option for those who like it, I hope it doesn't draw too many away from the regular game mode.

I am one of those who generally have a good time with solo queue, and don't have a problem waiting 2-5 minutes for a match. I'll just do something else while waiting.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:24 am
Posts: 1452
Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
I would be careful drawing any concrete conclusions from the Steamcharts graphs about a playerbase rise: Yes, it is higher than it was during the very lowest period (~330s), but we did just have the F2P release and, although it was unsuccessful, it will have attracted a small number of extra players.

There was also recently a small bump increase that then immediately dissipated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the actual point of this post: I contacted Ronimo about their stance on queue-splitting and received a response. I will post it here later if they do not.

_________________
Say no to SAM wrote:
Give this guy a duck for making such a good job with this thread

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm 
Offline
Ronimo Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:45 pm
Posts: 8965
Regarding the questions about queue splitting and draft mode:

Splitting queues is still an issue and something we want to minimise. We've added Brawl mode despite that because we think it adds something big to the game for a lot of players: something weird and fresh every week. A reason to come back every week to see what's up, and something that adds a lot of variation to the core experience. Also, it's something that can be enjoyed by all players, from beginner to pro.

As conorbebe mentioned, it's a way to have a lot of different game modes without splitting the playerbase more than once.

Limiting the days on which Brawl can be played is also a way to not split the playerbase too much: Brawls are centered around the weekends since that's when the largest numbers of players are online.

Draft mode on the other hand would serve a rather small group of players, since it's only an improvement for the most hardcore competitive players, and even there some might not want it. Matchmaking for the top 10% players is a challenge because the skill differences there are so big in a relatively small group, and splitting that group with draft mode would make that worse. So while I can totally imagine that draft mode would be an awesome improvement for a group of players, I think it would damage matchmaking so much that it's not an option.

I saw some suggestions to add draft mode as a weekly Brawl at some point. This kind of thing is great, but draft mode is also just quite a lot of work to build to get all the menus right and everything, so I don't expect we will go through all of that dev time for something that will be a Brawl for just a few days. We are going to do weird stuff in the Brawls though, including team deathmatch and other specific rules.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:44 am
Posts: 1991
Location: Maybe far away or maybe real near by.
First off, thank you for responding to this concern. Personally, that makes a lot of sense to me. To be completely fair, it is a very small amount of players in the community who were asking for a draft mode. Brawls, on the other hand, do have a more widespread appeal.

I do still have a concern about Brawls losing interest over time. As of yet, the only things drawing people in are 4X AP/XP for the first few matches and the experience the new game mode. Honestly, I think that there should be a little more encouragement to participate in Brawls to lead the majority of the player base towards them when they are live. That way, overall matchmaking for the majority is improved and all the minority needs to worry about is being patient for a few days (Which will happen both ways when Brawls aren't available as well)

I'm going to post a more in-depth brainstorm on ways to improve Brawls in general so that people won't mind the drawbacks as much. It'll probably be finished sometime later today or tomorrow.

_________________
Diz Hydron wrote:
Catgame21234 wrote:
Hail Hydro

I'm not sure what I think about this. :think:


Winner of the Awesomenauts Guide Contest


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 4.4 Feedback on Brawls
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 70
Joost wrote:
Regarding the questions about queue splitting and draft mode:

Splitting queues is still an issue and something we want to minimise. We've added Brawl mode despite that because we think it adds something big to the game for a lot of players: something weird and fresh every week. A reason to come back every week to see what's up, and something that adds a lot of variation to the core experience. Also, it's something that can be enjoyed by all players, from beginner to pro.

As conorbebe mentioned, it's a way to have a lot of different game modes without splitting the playerbase more than once.

Limiting the days on which Brawl can be played is also a way to not split the playerbase too much: Brawls are centered around the weekends since that's when the largest numbers of players are online.

Draft mode on the other hand would serve a rather small group of players, since it's only an improvement for the most hardcore competitive players, and even there some might not want it. Matchmaking for the top 10% players is a challenge because the skill differences there are so big in a relatively small group, and splitting that group with draft mode would make that worse. So while I can totally imagine that draft mode would be an awesome improvement for a group of players, I think it would damage matchmaking so much that it's not an option.

I saw some suggestions to add draft mode as a weekly Brawl at some point. This kind of thing is great, but draft mode is also just quite a lot of work to build to get all the menus right and everything, so I don't expect we will go through all of that dev time for something that will be a Brawl for just a few days. We are going to do weird stuff in the Brawls though, including team deathmatch and other specific rules.


Excellent!
Keep up the good work!


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2