Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: An incentive to be nice.
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:50 pm 

kathy wrote:
if you believe in online friends being real friends at all, i don't know how you can't understand how people would be frustrated by bad behavior and abusive chat
interactions don't stop being legitimate just because people aren't in the same room

Of course they're legitimate but it doesn't mean they should matter, but friends and toxicity are completely different things. If someone opens with a line of hate directed at you, it's clear you'd never be friends with them and you can just ignore it and move on, but if you gain a genuine friend through nice chatting you're going to take them a lot more seriously.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:37 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
I am still not entirely sure why we are having a deep-rooted philosophical debate about this when the option to, you know, mute people does exist.

The Internet is a toxic place—so long as you do not bring that toxicity to the real world, you are golden. People are almost as bad offline as well, just more discreet about it.

On-topic: what was the topic, again?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:09 am 

Because people are questioning about why and how you should be offended by people who aren't within your tangible vicinity. It's been the root nature of conversation since the beginning for conversations to branch off.
And yet having to justify any impleme ration to discourage toxicity must be justified beyond reason. The question is...should we strive to stop toxcity...or encourage victims to ignore it?

My Awesomenauts Blog!

TWO-FOUR-SIX-EIGHT: PUT SOME COOKIES ON MY PLATE

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:53 am 

SandyDragginz wrote:
The question is...should we strive to stop toxcity...or encourage victims to ignore it?

This isn't a dichotomy.

No one encourages victims to ignore it. People encourage victims to use the adequate tools at their disposal to deal with it. People get mad when requests to extend these tools would begin to infringe on the enjoyment that others have.

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:39 am 
Adminaut

The Lord Protector wrote:
The Internet is a toxic place—so long as you do not bring that toxicity to the real world, you are golden.

This sentence confuses me. Are you trying to say that the internet as a whole must be a toxic environment and we should attempt to do nothing about it, and that so long as you don't act like a complete * head to someone face to face, you're free to talk all the trash you want over the web with no regards for the personal feelings and boundaries of others?

#MakeNautsMoreLikePong
Mainly playing: Whoever I feel like.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:32 am 

eddster27 wrote:
No one encourages victims to ignore it. People encourage victims to use the adequate tools at their disposal to deal with it. People get mad when requests to extend these tools would begin to infringe on the enjoyment that others have.

So much of this.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:35 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Alpha Z wrote:
This sentence confuses me. Are you trying to say that the internet as a whole must be a toxic environment and we should attempt to do nothing about it, and that so long as you don't act like a complete * head to someone face to face, you're free to talk all the trash you want over the web with no regards for the personal feelings and boundaries of others?

No.

If I wanted to say that, I would just say that.

The anonymity that the Internet provides will always make people far more hostile than they would otherwise be—as I said—and while that is unpleasant, I agree, there is almost nothing you can nor anyone can do about it that would not infringe on whatever rights people have on the Internet.

Imagine it from a ten-year-old's perspective: the ability to swear and whine with zero repercusions? They will jump in that wagon so hard the little wheels will pop off (save for the children who are literal saints everywhere they go).

Granted that the Internet is not composed entirely of ten-year-olds, for that is my own personal Hell, but even the usually polite will regress given the chance.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:10 pm 

Well Eddster I'd like to argue that "Using the tools at their disposal to deal with it" very much includes Muting that person. Which as I've incomprehensibly stated before (lol) is just as effective as ignoring it...because it's still likely being said in front of your face..you just put up a wall to not see it...and..it doesn't put an end to it..which is my personal goal of this thread. Clearly not everyone agrees...but the community does speak the loudest....We can go around and around about how people are jumping on the opportunity to be nasty due to internet anonymity...but my point was to discuss a way for the community to discourage the behavior..period... There are far more beautiful things in life than video games and to take it so seriously to the level of wishing death upon a teammate is outrageous. It's bullying...straight and simple.

I guess the original topic though is kinda buried...as some people disagree with the idea of halting the behavior due to benefits etc as stated before. But letting the community upvote players who stand against is still a wonderful Idea imo.

My Awesomenauts Blog!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm 

SandyDragginz wrote:
I guess the original topic though is kinda buried...as some people disagree with the idea of halting the behavior due to benefits etc as stated before. But letting the community upvote players who stand against is still a wonderful Idea imo.

Well, to be entirely honest, while it's certainly not a bad idea; it won't do anything to solve your issue.

Do you really think that people who run around flaming everyone care about good rep?
Of course not.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 pm 

Well...if I see poopheads with a high rating I guess I'll just be even more angry lol.
Which I mean..is entirely possible.

But then when you think about it...people do what they do just for leaderboard rank.

I guess people are people. I do wanna say though....I'm pretty happy about how much discussion this topic has brought. it may have sidetrack...but I'm glad to hear how others are in my boat.
I am pretty sensitive and Bi-Polar, and I throw a fit over taunts...and losing to friends who just just quit the match and don't say gg. it just makes me feel like a mere obstacle. i do need to work on that. Thanks for the discussion everybody...If I can..I'd probably want my thread cut off right about here.

My Awesomenauts Blog!