Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: TV Tropes
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:43 pm 

So I uninstalled Awesomenauts today, but nobody cares about that. However, before I pass silently into the night, I need to hand over a torch. I've been maintaining this page (and especially this one) on TV Tropes for a few years. With me cutting off my access and the last dying vestiges of my interest in this game, I need someone else to keep the page up to date, maybe multiple people. TV Tropes is a community-driven site after all. I'd really hate to see the area go out of date.

If you're new to TV Tropes, it's a very casual wiki-style site that gathers information and organizes them into "tropes", or reoccurring aspects of media. It's very simple to write on (just follow what the page is already doing, you'll be fine).

I'm not sure how convincing I am (that's not my strong suite), but any help is appreciated.

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post subject: Re: TV Tropes
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:37 pm 

gross, tvtropes

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 am 

Well it won't be me because according to you and what I presume to be most of the contributors of TVTropes.org, pretty much every single defining or non-defining aspect of a character or piece of media can be labelled as a "trope".

Let's take Ix for example, it being the first character I went to check out. A trope is defined by Google as "a significant or recurrent theme; a motif". What exactly is "Ambiguous Gender" a running theme of? I'm checking the article for "Ambiguous Gender" and apparently it's a common trope of pretty much every form of media, as well as art, theatre, religion, and real life. REAL LIFE! To which TVTropes.org then gives examples of gender neutrality and sexual dimorphism? Hmm, could it be that actually, this ISN'T a trope and just so happens to be something that exists?

TVTropes.org to me seems less concerned about spotting patterns and conventions in genres of media, and more concerned about putting every single aspect of expression in a box, labelling all parts of something as unoriginal and derivative.

Winner of the Design-Your-Naut 2 contest (Ix the Interloper), and emote creator :yoolip:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:16 am 
Adminaut

conorbebe wrote:
TVTropes.org to me seems less concerned about spotting patterns and conventions in genres of media, and more concerned about putting every single aspect of expression in a box, labelling all parts of something as unoriginal and derivative.

Last I checked something it had on a, frankly obscure and old, video game, it had managed to define literally every damn aspect of the entire game's design, art, plot, everything. From that, I thought that was the point of it or something: to basically define literally everything ever.

For some examples, it includes one on "sprite larger than its respective hitbox or hurtbox", one on "gratuitous usage of Arabic" only to immediately describe how it's actually foreshadowing and references the story, the fact someone dies is another, the fact there's a large ship within a game literally about spaceships, the fact the music uses organs, etc.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:33 am 

Christ in hell, and I wondered why I stopped posting here :aylaroll:

With a big, robotic ass :chew:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:07 am 

MurlocAggroB wrote:
-snip-

Well man, you know better than anyone I've got enough on my plate as it is. I hope you find someone for this though.

Sad to see ya go. Enjoy... whatever you'll do now =P

we're giving this thread too much attention for its quality

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:10 am 

lol tvtropes

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 am 
Adminaut

MurlocAggroB wrote:
Christ in hell, and I wondered why I stopped posting here :aylaroll:

Because two people point out their dislike for a website (I didn't, I said I thought that was the point of it or something)? :huh:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:41 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
conorbebe wrote:
Well it won't be me because according to you and what I presume to be most of the contributors of TVTropes.org, pretty much every single defining or non-defining aspect of a character or piece of media can be labelled as a "trope".

Nothing is ever truly original. That is why there is a whole collective dedicated to showcasing that.

conorbebe wrote:
Let's take Ix for example, it being the first character I went to check out. A trope is defined by Google as "a significant or recurrent theme; a motif". What exactly is "Ambiguous Gender" a running theme of? I'm checking the article for "Ambiguous Gender" and apparently it's a common trope of pretty much every form of media, as well as art, theatre, religion, and real life. REAL LIFE! To which TVTropes.org then gives examples of gender neutrality and sexual dimorphism? Hmm, could it be that actually, this ISN'T a trope and just so happens to be something that exists?

By the very definition of the word, if a theme exists it must be therefore a trope—it cannot both exist and be used and exist and not be used. Given that nothing is original, you will just be recycling something that came before. That is the nature of this sort of thing (and one of the principles of writing, fun fact).

There are countless examples of ambiguous gender on the TV Tropes page.

conorbebe wrote:

See above.

At any rate, Ix is most certainly not unique:

• Crystalline body? seen it a million times.

• Two arms, two legs? Practically every alien encountered, apparently.

• Peace-loving, but not peace-using? That is such a common juxtaposition I think I have a button that dispenses it.

• Green is for healing? Need I say more?

• Tether mechanics? A thousand MOBAs before you.

• Relocate mechanics? A thousand MOBAs before you.

• Invulnerability frames? A thousand MOBAs before you.

• Flower-loving, hippy creature made so by destruction of homeworld? Ah, what a glorious motif.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

NekiCoule wrote:
...I'm not trying to seduce you or any kind of propaganda for your great wisdom I swear I'm not...

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:03 pm 

I like to read TV Tropes after I finished a movie or a game with a subtext I'm not sure I understood - like the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise. It sometimes has interesting analysis, if you can filter all the people who miss the point or just try to shove their headcannon down your throat.

But it does get tiring to see the word "trope" be used for absolutely everything. A muscular guy who happens to be stupid ? That's a trope. A muscular guy who happens to be smart ? That's also a trope. If every single thing on earth is a trope, then what makes tropes even worth mentioning ?