Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Any network issues?
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

We have been hearing a few complaints about disconnects and network errors. We don't know yet whether this is a bug on our side, or just a bad internet connection on the user's side. We also don't know yet whether this is affecting only a very small percentage of players, or lots of them, or whether this happens on both platforms, or just on Xbox360 or Playstation 3.

So if you are having lots of network errors (a single error once in a while is quite normal in any multiplayer game), then please post here. If possible, please answer these questions:
1. Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
2. What happens exactly?
3. How often does this happen?
4. Is this with anyone, or with a particular other player?
5. Does your Party screen show a message that you have a limited connection type?
6. Are you playing over wireless internet?
7. What range of pings does your in-game stats screen mention? This is the screen that opens when you press SELECT/BACK during a match. Do you see this increasing just before a disconnect?
8. Does rebooting your console and router help?
9. Is someone else downloading on the same internet connection at the same time?

Post subject: Re: Any network issues?
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:30 pm 

-Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
ps3

-What happens exactly?
disconnected few minutes (less than 5) after join in game

-Is this with anyone, or with a particular other player?
anyone

-Does your Party screen show a message that you have a limited connection type?
no

-Are you playing over wireless internet?
yes

-What range of pings does your in-game stats screen mention? This is the screen that opens when you press SELECT/BACK during a match. Do you see this increasing just before a disconnect?
dont know
-Does rebooting your console and router help?
no

-Is someone else downloading on the same internet connection at the same time?
no

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:42 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

@rsmelo:
Has this happened lots of times, or just once? In case it happens lots of times: could you try once more and observe the pings for a bit? That would really help us in finding the cause.

Also, note that in general wireless internet is not as good as wired internet. Wireless should definitely be playable, of course, but most multiplayer gamers consider wireless to be not good enough to play online with.

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:03 pm 

Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
Happened on both.

What happens exactly?
Random disconnects, can (and has) happened at any stage in a match, ranging from the start of the match to near the end of a match and anywhere in between.

How often does this happen?
Over the last two days I've played 16 games and disconnected from 13 now on Xbox 360. Have played two games on PS3 and DC'd from both.

Is this with anyone, or with a particular other player?
Anybody.

Does your Party screen show a message that you have a limited connection type?
No.

Are you playing over wireless internet?
No, wired.

What range of pings does your in-game stats screen mention? This is the screen that opens when you press SELECT/BACK during a match. Do you see this increasing just before a disconnect?
It's usually <100, occasionally it'll rise to the 150ms mark.

Does rebooting your console and router help?
No.

Is someone else downloading on the same internet connection at the same time?
No.

I'd also like to add that when I play Awesomenauts I'm disabling all other machines on my network and have started conducting speed tests before and after play and disconnects and there is nothing out of the ordinary with my connection. Experiencing absolutely no connection issues with any other games on Xbox 360, PS3 or PC and am not disconnecting from Xbox LIVE or Playstation Network.

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:23 pm 

PS3

2. What happens exactly?
As far as I can tell, the disconnect is completely random. My friend was also disconnected from the same games.

It is rare.

It has happen while in a party of 2 and a party of 3 (the party of 3 included a splitscreen player).

5. Does your Party screen show a message that you have a limited connection type?
No.

Wired.

7. What range of pings does your in-game stats screen mention? This is the screen that opens when you press SELECT/BACK during a match. Do you see this increasing just before a disconnect?
Between 80 and 140. I haven't ever checked before a disconnect.

Never tried. The disconnect doesn't happen consistently.

9. Is someone else downloading on the same internet connection at the same time?
No.

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:42 pm 

Xbox
2. What happens exactly?
Get disconnected with messages saying something along the lines of "Lost connection to host" or "Network error"
Has happened 6 out of 9 games. Once in the load out screen, twice just after spawning and three mid-game
No
No
Wired
150-450
No
No

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:46 pm 

I wouldn't say "frequent" but definitely "more than usual". Usually it's 3-4 times during a 2 hour session.

PlayStation 3

2. What happens exactly?
Depends.
*Out right disconnected from a game, and get the standard d/c message.
*Everyone else is disconnected. About 30 seconds to a minute go by, then I'm disconnected.

3-4 times within a 2 hour period. Often times I'll quit playing the fourth time in frustration.

Always playing alone, online with randoms.

No.

Yes, has worked fine for years in other games.

I honestly never remember to check.

No.

No most of the time. Yes occasionally.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:09 am 

Playstation 3
2. What happens exactly?
Within a few minutes, the game says I either lost the connection to the host, or just lost connection in general. Many times I'll find I've lost connection to PSN as well.
Every time. No matter if I'm host or client.
Everyone.
I only play solo v.s. randoms. Would the party screen be part of the console's OS, or does Awesomenauts have one of it's own?
Do you mean a wireless connection to the router, or do you mean wireless internet service? I'm connected via ethernet, but my internet service is wireless through Clearwire.
7. What range of pings does your in-game stats screen mention?
anywhere from 90 to 400
Nope.
Nope.

Other Notes
The connection is rock solid over at my brother's house. He's got cable internet though Comcast. I played for 11 hours straight without a hitch (I hit the first prestige the first night. Couldn't sleep. Too busy being French).

Using Clearwire, I also have similar connection issues with Gotham City Impostors, but not nearly as bad. Other games don't have the connection issues, though my latency is higher than if I were to be using cable or DSL.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 pm 

Xbox 360

2. What happens exactly?
I will get disconnected during the game and kick me out or it will boot everyone from the game then disconnect me from XBL

It has happened frequently everyday since I bought it

Anyone

No

No, I am directly connected to the modem

I usually see around 100 ping

No

No

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:04 pm 

PS3
2. What happens exactly?
I get disconnected form game and send back to main menu
Rarely
Anyone
Nope
Yes
from 80 to 150
Nope
First time yes, I was playing, my brother was playing on his PC and my GF was watching YT on my PC. Second time no.

I think there is a problem on both sides. I never had problems with on-line playing even in situations from point 9., but with Awesomenauts disconnections become annoying in that situation. IMHO game is very sensitive to bad connection.