Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Mirg the Ectoplasm (Awesomenauts Contest Entry)
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:12 pm 

So this is the silly character I tried submitting to the contest up on Facebook.

Good thing I copy/pasted it from a text editor... Can't seem to access the survey itself anymore.

It's a ghostly 'Naut with a Scythe-like appendages... think you know where Mirg and "Ectoplasm" come form at this point. His skills are interesting in that he can cause a target to vanish before his allies, and split into various globs that can be used offensively or defensively. Targets that are "blacked out" are either hurt by Mirg and his team, or he can mimic them to take advantage of their skills for a very short period of time.

Backstory

Hails from the remnants of the distant Abaddonian sector. It is from a race of ectoplasms; assumed to be the only living things left after the sector was consumed by a black hole. Mirg was transported off-sector for analysis, but break free and kills its captors. Seeks to return home, but the costs are probhiitive. It joins the war effort to fund his flight back to the deepest depths of space.

Movement

Medium ground speed character. Slower flight speed. Double tapping in any direction enables Phase-Shifting through platforms and enemies. Distance phased is increased by “Boots.” Tapping jump in Air mode enables flight, where a single double tap in any direction goes back into “ground mode” movement. Two second cooldown between mode switch and dashes.

Ethereal Scythes

Scythes swing back, then forward. If you “charge” it, the Scythe is swung backwards, then thrown. Slow swing, but strong.

Upgrades:
    • Three Tiers of damage
    • Increase damage in one Tier
    • Thrown Scythes will attach an AoE explosion to walls/turrets/floors.
    • Thrown Scythes now remain attached to Mirg, allowing him to pull targets back.
    • Kills generate heals to team.
    • Scythes Life Leech improves.

Blackout

Grabs enemy. Target becomes invisible to his allies for 4s. 10s CD.

Upgrades:
    • Mirg will takes enemy's form, copying all skills/upgrades.
    • 50% of damage and 25% healing onto Mirg will DAMAGE target.
    • 25/50% healing target takes will transfer onto Mirg.
    • Target becomes invisible to ALL, but damage by Mirg is now doubled/quadrupled.
    • Increases cooldown/duration by 1/2 seconds.
    • Target takes DoT.

Ectoplasmic Split

Split into 3/4 blobs. Fired in a forward/backward arc. Emerges from one, based on button pressed. 50% Damage Reduction. Lasts 3 seconds. 7S CD.

Upgrades:
    • Enables four splits.
    • Touch blob, afflicted with DoT.
    • Touch Blob, get rooted 1s and HP leeched.
    • Mirg sacrifices health to drop health packets for allies.
    • Emerging causes other blobs to explode.
    • Damage reduction is now divided amongst splits.

His backstory could definitely use work... but I had 400 characters to work with...

I kind of like the options I put on Blackout... One option lets you go all Shang Tsung on enemies for a bit... even longer with the CD/Duration tradeoff tool. Another option is a gamble, making a target invisible to all, but allows Mirg to amp up his damage resources on the victim. I'd hope it seems like there's a few good varieties for this skill.

Split should definitely be creative. Could just make it pure attack, or make it defensive, or even utility-based.

His "dashing" isn't available to any character yet... so it is unique to Awesomenauts... being ghost-like could let him phase through some areas and save his hide. I'd say his HP would honestly be in the lower end of the spectrum. Basically, use of Phase Shifts and Splits are key to keeping him alive and opponents confused.

Post subject: Re: Mirg the Ectoplasm (Awesomenauts Contest Entry)
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:58 pm 

I like both his backstory and mechanics. Would probably vote for him, if he were chosen.

This is

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:53 am 

Must admit, I do like the uniquity of these ideas.

I am curious though, how long does the Blackout transformation last with the form-stealing upgrade?

Flik & Fuzznug~ "Hey! Listen!"
Quistrel~ "Mathematical!"
Squiddles~ "Squiddles fhtagn."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:15 am 

^ Transformation would probably last as long as the Blackout itself, for simplicty and Balance sake... The idea is that most likely a player would also grab the CD/Duration skill that increases effective uptime to 45 and 50% when fully upgraded.

Regarding victim invis... I'd probably say that the same effects that reveal Leon should probably reveal an ally... but IDK... thought the idea was interesting to say the least.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:52 am 

This naut has some potential. He has a unique skill set. Nice concept.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:42 pm 

If I don't get top 5, I'm voting for this 'naut!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:48 pm 

This naut better win or else im going to be a mad Mango! :(

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:29 am 

Thanks you guys! XD

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:22 pm 

One of the characters I enjoy without any upgrades (just the base mechanics) As long as you aren't heart set in your upgrades It could work out (By the way a ability to take the form of another naut and take their abilities is a real pain in the butt to code.)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:31 pm 

^ Yea, I thought about changing some things up... but regardless it wouldn't fit in 400 characters!

Not only that... when I thought about some of the abilities listed... I noticed that, outside "flight" this could easily be turned into a Ninja 'Naut of sorts with a bit more tweaking.

Instead of goop splitting, could be the 'Naut tosses 4 sets of logs that roll around... and the 'Naut can press any of the four face buttons to pop off a chosen log.

Short range would be two melee slashes... long range he throws a kunai, but with the chain upgrade he's going Scorpion on people.

But eh... figured some sort of Grim visage of a ghost spewing out Dark Humor in his lines seems more amusing than a semi-stereotypical Ninja... also what animal would he be? >_>