Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Online match types
 Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 am 

So there's been a few complaints at the frequency of premade teams in the balance/tactics threads, so why not make match types just for certain mentalities.

There could be a few different match types:
Tryhard - super competitive teams of three
Casual - no hard feelings (no rank change)
Newbie - can ONLY play here until a set amount of games / win % is reached
Competitive - Teams of one or two who want to play competitively

This might make the gaming experience more enjoyable for some people, especially those who just want to play for fun, or are fed up of all the premade-tryhards
I'm fairly certain almost all gamers are put into these four categories. I don't know about how much coding this would require, i'd be willing to bet a lot of it is recyclable.

What do you guys think? Discuss.

Post subject: Re: Online match types
 Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:24 am 

Awesomenauts is based on a few fundamental dogmas, which either cannot be broken at all, or the game would have to change in form to an unrecognizable state. And I'm not talking about technical difficulties; these would be changes that would be a threat the existence of the game itself.

You're trying to break one right now. :/

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:54 am 

I don't really know what you're suggesting. I don't get it at all.

edit: Oooh you're suggesting game modes. I get it now. 'Tryhard' mode? People don't refer to themselves as tryhards, also newbie mode is already covered by practice mode and by lower leagues being paired with lower leagues, casual sounds about as non-casual as anything ever could because nobody wants to play a game where there's some master league 1 stomping newbies and it's quote on quote balanced because your team also has a master league 1 stomping their newbies, that just makes for a stupid game that isn't fun for anybody.

Let's face it, it's just a bunch of really bad ideas which solve nothing and split an already small community.

Flik & Fuzznug~ "Hey! Listen!"
Quistrel~ "Mathematical!"
Squiddles~ "Squiddles fhtagn."

Last edited by curiousmoth on Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:59 am 

I think the standard reply to all "premade fixes" applies here:

The community is small, this is what made Ronimo decide in the first place that premades can be matched with non-premades.
Splitting the community will result in even more matches with bots in them, or maybe even only bots except for you and your friends. (These exist too much already, so saying it's a non-issue doesn't work)
Splitting the community doesn't apply to "premade or non premade" only, it applies to every bit of splitting that will result in multiple groups for playing.

As for feedback to this specific suggestion:
I notice a distinct lack of a place for 3 man premades to just have some fun (not all premades are "super competitive")

Also, what will stop people from joining another match for some pubstomping? The only difference seems to be the amount of players in each group. I'm sure casual would still be full of 3-man premades that just feel like testing just how OP their new froggy, clunk and yuri combo is.

Lastly, I cannot think of a way how newbie mode will end up as expected:
When playing until a certain number of games newbie mode will be empty at some point as people have reached that amount of games. We have practice mode already to play against bots.

When playing until a certain win percentage:
- Some high skill players will artificially lower their win% to go on a pubstomping round (this already happens for easier rating on the leaderboards. People ruin an alts rating and can boost up friends a lot more since they are playing with a league 9 and still murdered the * out of everyone)
- A newbie happens to win their first game and directly gets thrown into the non newbie groups while still being a newbie. Also resulting in a more empty newbie section but throwing people into the wild much quicker.

Combining the 2 into a bigger system:
- High skill players won't be able to go on a pubstomping round anymore
- Newbie will be even emptier due to combining the 2 reasons for a more empty newbie matches.

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:58 pm 

This was just an Idea, so I'm not going to defend it too much, but here are my intentions:

Quote:
The community is small, this is what made Ronimo decide in the first place that premades can be matched with non-premades.

This could be a priority system. It tries to put you in a group of that type, but if it can't, then it'll but you in the next most suitable place.

Quote:
I notice a distinct lack of a place for 3 man premades to just have some fun (not all premades are "super competitive")

Casual - these were rough outlines for an idea not quite fully formed

Quote:
Also, what will stop people from joining another match for some pubstomping? The only difference seems to be the amount of players in each group. I'm sure casual would still be full of 3-man premades that just feel like testing just how OP their new froggy, clunk and yuri combo is.

There really is no great way to counter this, the only way i can think of is if they keep crushing their opponents (and i mean completely destroying) they could get poped up into tryhard

Quote:
Lastly, I cannot think of a way how newbie mode will end up as expected:
When playing until a certain number of games newbie mode will be empty at some point as people have reached that amount of games. We have practice mode already to play against bots.

When playing until a certain win percentage:
- Some high skill players will artificially lower their win% to go on a pubstomping round (this already happens for easier rating on the leaderboards. People ruin an alts rating and can boost up friends a lot more since they are playing with a league 9 and still murdered the * out of everyone)
- A newbie happens to win their first game and directly gets thrown into the non newbie groups while still being a newbie. Also resulting in a more empty newbie section but throwing people into the wild much quicker.

So combine prestige (or games played) and win percentage.
Once 60h of game play has been achieved, and the win percentage is above 50% they go out into the big wide world, private and practice will always be available of corse, but killing bots just isn't the same.