Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Ix splash art process
 Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:31 pm 

Feel like some people would be a little interested in the process that went towards remaking the Ix splash art.

First started out as some sketches from when we first saw Ix with the new monk look.
Was trying to get a feel of the new design and ways that I could make the original pose better. Granted, this was WAY before Ix's sprite was anywhere near finalized, so I was still using the proportions and head anatomy from the original one.
----------
This was just something I made to try and push the monk thing more. Was really fond of that aspect and I'd be damned if I wasn't going to try to nudge Ronimo to go all out for it.
----------
This one may be a bit familiar to you guys. Originally posted this to try and quell some argument that was going on, but failed because the Ix in the top-right just added fuel to the fire...
Anyways, the true reason I made this because Xin said they were running into readability issues between Ix's legs and hands. They seemed to already be going for the current solution of pulling his pants over the pointy knees based on the sketches Xin sent me, but I still wanted to present my own solutions to the problem.
Pretty sure this is also when we noticed that Ix's crystals were practically the same color as Scoop's, so that's why I was trying out so many different colors at the same time.
----------
These are more sketches for the final pose. At this point, the deadline had been sent and I really needed to get to work.
Problem was I wasn't sure whether to go for something dynamic like the original or something peaceful and similar to Genji's to emphasize the monk aesthetic.
Was hoping to get some direction on the matter, but Xin said both could work because Ix wsa both peaceful and dynamic.
----------
Went with my gut and went for dynamic pose. Felt that it was more "awesome" but also because of the original design, which seemed to catch people based on being "cool." Ix was already going through a lot of changes, so trying to keep at least that cool factor the same felt right.
----------
Some refinement on the pose thanks to some input from Xin. At this point, we realized the scarf was going to be a bit of a problem.
I decided to save it for last just so I could focus on everything else.
----------
After working on it for a while, I considered this "finished."
Looking back on it, it looks fine, but it just wasn't awesome. I sent it to Xin and after a day or two, he sent over a quick paintover that he had done.
I was so blown away by what he did that I just had to repaint everything... and so I did.
----------
In-progress pic that I have saved. Looking much better and more like an actual Awesomenauts picture.
----------
Got done Ix themselves and all that was left was the scarf...
----------
And there we go!
This is the final piece that I sent in. Took a lot of work, especially on the last few days (think I only had one day to spare before the deadline), but it was actually rather enjoyable.
Learned a lot that I hope to be able to apply to my future art endeavors.

And this is the final splash art picture that Xin sent me.
( Difficulty: EASY?! )
A little better than the one you guys ripped from the stream since there's no text boxes covering up stuff. Think it's lower resolution though...

Post subject: Re: Ix splash art process
 Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:49 pm 

Wow das a lot of art :GnawShock:

Interesting to see the process it went through, disappointed you kept to the generic badass look over something that resembled the monk design that you originally wanted

Seriously, you artists make me sad though, I can barely draw stick figures as it is :GnawCry:

My super edgy backstory (Do-nut Steal! :fist:)

God, I've really screwed up haven't I? No hard feelings y'all

Steam

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:06 pm 

ColossalDonut5 wrote:
Interesting to see the process it went through, disappointed you kept to the generic badass look over something that resembled the monk design that you originally wanted

I really would have liked to have gone with the peaceful route, but there were just too many problems with attempting it.
One was the reason I mentioned, where I didn't want to push away the people who voted for the original Ix because they looked cool.
Another was the difficulty in making it look appealing enough for splash art. Certainly possible, but a challenge that the tight deadline made more difficult.

The biggest reason however, was that we still have no idea how Ix is going to act. We have a general hipster/monk centered around eco-conservation, but we have no idea of anything beyond that.
Are they energetic? Lethargic? Angry? Happy? Loud? Reserved?
Going with the peaceful pose could have contradicted the way that Ix ended up acting and it was too big a risk in my eyes. Something that was a bit generic but still showed off parts of the monk aspect (the way Ix is holding their fingers in as close to an "open palm" as you can get with three fingers) while still throwing in that bit of over-the-top awesome felt more fitting. No matter the other aspects of their personality, this pose can most likely work with it.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 pm 

Boy Skylark wrote:
ColossalDonut5 wrote:

I really would have liked to have gone with the peaceful route, but there were just too many problems with attempting it.
One was the reason I mentioned, where I didn't want to push away the people who voted for the original Ix because they looked cool.
Another was the difficulty in making it look appealing enough for splash art. Certainly possible, but a challenge that the tight deadline made more difficult.

The biggest reason however, was that we still have no idea how Ix is going to act. We have a general hipster/monk centered around eco-conservation, but we have no idea of anything beyond that.
Going with the peaceful pose could have contradicted the way that Ix ended up acting and it was too big a risk in my eyes. Something that was a bit generic but still showed off parts of the monk aspect (the way Ix is holding their fingers in as close to an "open palm" as you can get with three fingers) while still throwing in that bit of over-the-top awesome felt more fitting. No matter the other aspects of their personality, this pose can most likely work with it.

Yeah I getcha, I wonder why they didn't give you anything extra to go off of though? Kinda weird that they just sorta say "hey, go make the splash art" without really much detail to base it off of :shrug:

My super edgy backstory (Do-nut Steal! :fist:)

God, I've really screwed up haven't I? No hard feelings y'all

Steam

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:27 pm 

I have no words right now... this looks awesome.
well done. :clap: :tear:

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:28 pm 

ColossalDonut5 wrote:
Boy Skylark wrote:
ColossalDonut5 wrote:

Yeah I getcha, I wonder why they didn't give you anything extra to go off of though? Kinda weird that they just sorta say "hey, go make the splash art" without really much detail to base it off of :shrug:

I think the reason is because they're still scoping that out with the voice contest.
They gave us all a general outlook on the character and then the voice is going to further refine that.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:28 pm 

ImageImageI'd kill to have the chance to make offical splash art in the gameImageImage

Reifiui wrote:
Catti is the forumer that we need, but don't deserve

I'm open to art Commissions!

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:08 am 

I'm amazed how well you managed to match the general style of the game's splash art. Awesome work. I'm glad you went with the dynamic pose, thought the other route would have worked fine as well. This way just feels more visually interesting and more fitting for splash art.

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:41 am 

catgame21234 wrote:
ImageImageI'd kill to have the chance to make offical splash art in the gameImageImage

Well, we can just kill some Ronimo team members and take over their positions!
... That's how jobs work right...?

I'm hoping that they do another contest and that you get the chance to. Then we can have our respective 'Nauts fight and see who's is greater! :fist:
Ooh! Or maybe they can have a contest to let us design the looks of one of those proto-Nauts that Davey's been showing off!

Sturmtrommel wrote:
I'm amazed how well you managed to match the general style of the game's splash art. Awesome work. I'm glad you went with the dynamic pose, thought the other route would have worked fine as well. This way just feels more visually interesting and more fitting for splash art.

Thanks, mang. :thumb:
It's weird how getting humbled like that got me to work so much harder on it.

I still want to see another 'Naut with a peaceful pose though. Genji's splash art is one of my favorites and it was so tempting to try to make something like it.

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:51 am 

why was anyone upset about the top right ix in that one picture?
they/it were/was cute.
(i don't really go into this subforum often so i must have missed something.)

more on topic, nice work! you really made it look like the game's splash art and it's really awesome that they're using it, too. :thumb:

i like these guys ---> :think: :worship: :huh: :party: :facepalm: :tongue: :ayla: :chucho: :jimmy: :yoolip: