Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts



Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next

Author Message
 Post subject: Front Line Engineer Cyrus Fiddle
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 137
Well now that they are teasing some kind of strange space-fish type character, I suppose I'll toss out an idea of my own. I didn't look through all the high quality submissions so I apologize if I step on any toes.

The concept is a dwarven/gnomish looking engineer. Think Jan Jansen from Baldur's Gate 2.
Image

The background is after putting in decades at Zork industries R&D, only to see the idiot son Derpl ride off with their prized creation, the disenfranchised engineer decided to take his abilities to something more lucrative, and maybe dismantle Derpl's ride if given the chance.

His role will be more defensive/utility than pure damage. HP starts at 110. Speed starts at 6.8, so the main weakness is he's vulnerable in close.

Auto-attack: Blow Torch - short range, 7 damage, 160 attack speed
Upgrades:
1. Bio-Fuel Cells - standard damage increase - 2 levels, +2, +4 total.
2. Fuel Injectors - standard hit speed increase - 2 levels, 20%, %40%
3. Acetylene Torch - do 120% damage to turrets and the core
4. Drop It When It's Hot - Drops the fuel tank when killed, doing 50 AoE damage after a 2 second delay.
5. Dismantle - gain solar from damaging droids and turrets
6. Phosphoric Discharge - adds burn DoT - 2 levels, +10, +20

His jump is a small winged rocket worn on a backpack. jumping starts the rocket with up to a 3 second time limit. Once you let go of the jump button you need to land before another jump. This will give the vertical escape he needs when Leons or Skolldirs come around, and makes him a decent counter to Yuri's flying. Movement upgrade increases the time limit by another 3 seconds.

Right Click ability- Engineering - friendly droids of any type can be boosted with increased damage(+40%), attack speed(+20%), and movement speed(+15%). Solar for any kills by Hacked droids is transferred directly to the engineer. Effect lasts for 10 seconds with an 7 second cooldown.
Upgrades:
1. Mail Order Degree - increases the bonuses for engineered droids - 2 levels, double bonus, triple bonus
2. Metallugy 101 - buffs health of engineered droids - 2 levels, +35%, +70%
3. Hacking Vol 1337 - ability to hack an enemy droid, making it friendly, adds no bonuses.
4. Artificial Intelligence - droids engineered before they reach friendly turrets will stop and repair it at half their damage rate. Second level repairs at full rate. - 2 levels
5. Frayed Wires - static discharge slows enemies in a small area around hacked droids. Second level adds damage similar to Raelynn's time rift - 2 levels, 30% slow
6. Sabotage - droids explode when destroyed, doing 30 AoE damage.

Center Click ability- Sentry Pod - deploy a small sentry to scan the area for enemies. A small ball with a camera and a helicopter prop. It detects enemies in a large area, making them show up on the minimap. Lasts 60 seconds, 10 second cooldown after it's destroyed. Only 1 may be deployed at a time without an upgrade.
Upgrades:
1. Wide-Angle Lens - Increased scanning area - 2 levels
2. Militarized Sentry - shots are similar to the flying droids. - 3 levels for 3, 6 and 9 damage.
3. Replication - Deploy a second sentry after 10 second cool-down.
4. Flashbulb - Blinds enemies in a small radius 3 seconds with a 10 second cool-down.
5. Kamikaze - sentry seeks out nearest target when below 25%HP and explode for 40 damage.
6. Deflector Shield - Returns 20% of damage back to attackers.

Let me know what you think, and please be constructive rather than just saying it sucks, since you did take the time to read it.

_________________
Steam ID: GamrDadKinsey
Currently wavering in leagues 2 and 3 though I don't deserve it.
Main: Lonestar
Learning: Raelynn

My 1st Character idea: Engineer Cyrus Fiddle
And my contest submission: Flux the Elemental Shifter


Last edited by GamrDadKinsey on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Line Engineer
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 12
You know... take Gizmo the mouse and the character you have here, smash them together, and I think we might have a naut.

My main questions are about the repair torch's heal ability. It sounds alright but you have to stand in front of the turret to heal it? I mean I get the reason why, otherwise the character will be able to just sit and cackle maniacally while he/she heals the turret into infinity. But it just feels so arbitrary. Couldn't we just slice the turret heal rate in half again? Or just say that the character could heal from the front or back so long as they're RIGHT next to it and well within AoE and splash damage range?
Also, does the torch heal turrets AND the core or just turrets?
Finally... I think I would drop the piercing augmentation and replace it with a powerup that negates either the half Naut damage penalty or boosts the half repair rate to full. Granted, this is perhaps the most unbalanced out of my suggestions and should probably be balanced by only doing one or the other and being one of the more expensive augs for this character.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Line Engineer
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 137
Psion wrote:
You know... take Gizmo the mouse and the character you have here, smash them together, and I think we might have a naut.

My main questions are about the repair torch's heal ability. It sounds alright but you have to stand in front of the turret to heal it? I mean I get the reason why, otherwise the character will be able to just sit and cackle maniacally while he/she heals the turret into infinity. But it just feels so arbitrary. Couldn't we just slice the turret heal rate in half again? Or just say that the character could heal from the front or back so long as they're RIGHT next to it and well within AoE and splash damage range?
Also, does the torch heal turrets AND the core or just turrets?
Finally... I think I would drop the piercing augmentation and replace it with a powerup that negates either the half Naut damage penalty or boosts the half repair rate to full. Granted, this is perhaps the most unbalanced out of my suggestions and should probably be balanced by only doing one or the other and being one of the more expensive augs for this character.


I actually found the Gizmo post after I submitted this, and there's some good stuff in there too. I felt like that character was too behind the scenes for a 3v3 game, whereas this one needs to be up with the team to be effective. I didn't plan for repairs to the core, only turrets. I do see a potential solar problem if you lose the turrets too fast, but if you can't keep them up very long with a character like this, the game probably won't last long anyway.

My reasoning for the repairing was of course to prevent hiding, maybe make base damage 6, but you have to be "on" the turret? I like the upgrade to make full damage against nauts and that would be more realistic with the change to repairing. Base of 6/3 with upgrades to 8/4 and 10/5. You could take the upgrade for full damage to nauts to help push if the turrets are doing OK.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make some edits.

_________________
Steam ID: GamrDadKinsey
Currently wavering in leagues 2 and 3 though I don't deserve it.
Main: Lonestar
Learning: Raelynn

My 1st Character idea: Engineer Cyrus Fiddle
And my contest submission: Flux the Elemental Shifter


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Line Engineer
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 12
GamrDadKinsey wrote:
I actually found the Gizmo post after I submitted this, and there's some good stuff in there too. I felt like that character was too behind the scenes for a 3v3 game, whereas this one needs to be up with the team to be effective. I didn't plan for repairs to the core, only turrets. I do see a potential solar problem if you lose the turrets too fast, but if you can't keep them up very long with a character like this, the game probably won't last long anyway.

My reasoning for the repairing was of course to prevent hiding, maybe make base damage 6, but you have to be "on" the turret? I like the upgrade to make full damage against nauts and that would be more realistic with the change to repairing. Base of 6/3 with upgrades to 8/4 and 10/5. You could take the upgrade for full damage to nauts to help push if the turrets are doing OK.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make some edits.

Yeah, probably because I felt compelled to comment on her and bump her up to the first page again. =P But anyway, yeah I liked the description of her but I wasn't too wild about her moveset. I'm not sure what but something about it just didn't sit well with me, probably the permanent buff to creeps felt too powerful or something.

But yeah, I understand the reason for turret repair requiring a really close range. Otherwise the player can keep out of AoE range and camp the game into a possible stalemate. The repair rate sounds alright though, a determined push can easily rack up the double digits for DPS. It's not much but like Voltar's base healing burst, it's enough of a trickle to give the team a small edge.

Solar production would be a problem if the enemy crew smashes all your turrets but like you, I've noticed that rarely does a team execute a successful hail mary play once both their lanes open up. I mean I suppose it's possible but I've personally never seen it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Line Engineer
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 am
Posts: 548
well IMO repairing turrets itself is op... you have it on an auto attack?

_________________
Main: Leon /Froggy/ Vinnie & Spike

Learning: Derpl/Skolldir / Vinnie & Spike

league 2 , currently pristageing, not playing online right now so may drop (dropped from league 1)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6162


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Line Engineer
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:38 pm
Posts: 3498
Location: Winning
Repairing turrets is over powered possibly a abilty that heals 10% turret damage and has maybe a 5.8 sec cooldown?

_________________
I play Froggy, and quote myself. Egotistical? Maybe...
Treeby wrote:
People say you are what you eat. I don't remember eating a sexy beast.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Line Engineer
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 137
Grim_Fate56 wrote:
well IMO repairing turrets itself is op... you have it on an auto attack?

Treeby wrote:
Repairing turrets is over powered possibly a abilty that heals 10% turret damage and has maybe a 5.8 sec cooldown?


Yes, the concept of the repair itself might seem op, but try and consider the character as a whole. They have the HP of Froggy or Leon and the speed of Lonestar, but without the escape abilities. I'm imagining an auto attack with a hit speed more along the lines of Clunk than Coco, so it's not going to be a constant stream of healing.

I suppose it could be coupled into the Hack ability, but then there would need to be adjustments to make them more viable in combat since they'll have no solar coming in.

I would like to keep in on the auto attack if possible. What about working it like Yuri's laser? He's gotta put a mask down to use the torch (safety first!) so he can't move while using it. That would mean stopping the repair to get away during a push, or risking overextending yourself. He's a risk versus reward character. Go out with your team and use your abilities to try and make up for the 3 vs 2 that's bound to happen in combat, or play it safe and rely on your team to clear out a push so you can repair the turret.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I'd just love to see another character who's not centered around DPS.

_________________
Steam ID: GamrDadKinsey
Currently wavering in leagues 2 and 3 though I don't deserve it.
Main: Lonestar
Learning: Raelynn

My 1st Character idea: Engineer Cyrus Fiddle
And my contest submission: Flux the Elemental Shifter


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Line Engineer
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:51 pm 
Offline
Adminaut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:57 pm
Posts: 12862
Location: lol
Unless he has to park his keister in front of the turret and into the fray to do anything, I'd say that repairing turrets is too gamebreaking. The idea is that you take some damage for the turret, since the turret has no form of healing.

There'd be one engineer on almost every premade. :?

_________________
Character Hitbox Thread (Rocket added)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Line Engineer
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 137
Since the auto attack repairing the turret is pretty much universally disliked, I made a couple changes, and I like them better than I thought.

First is that the auto-attack is a normal attack now, but I changed the pierce upgrade to one that grants bonus solar for "dismantling" droids and turrets to make up for the inherent lack of killing power.

Secondly, I changed a Hack skill upgrade to enable droids to repair the turret if they are hacked before they reach it. This would mean the repair now takes up an upgrade and delays a droid from pushing, in exchange for 20 to 50 or so repair over a 10 second time-frame on the turret. That seems like a fair tradeoff and even if the player spams that ability it's not a fast enough repair to be op if your team is reaching the turret.

Lastly, the sentry drone will now attack droids, again to help the lack of solar gain.

_________________
Steam ID: GamrDadKinsey
Currently wavering in leagues 2 and 3 though I don't deserve it.
Main: Lonestar
Learning: Raelynn

My 1st Character idea: Engineer Cyrus Fiddle
And my contest submission: Flux the Elemental Shifter


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Front Line Engineer
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:32 pm 
Offline
Adminaut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:57 pm
Posts: 12862
Location: lol
I'll post some thoughts tomorrow.

_________________
Character Hitbox Thread (Rocket added)


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next