Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Global Chat ban
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:06 pm 

Getting reported by several users will ban you from chatting in Global Chat for 12-24 hours, even if the reasons they reported you are not legitimate.

Post subject: Re: Global Chat ban
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:09 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Yes, it will.

An intentionally lazy design.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:57 pm 

It's a system implementation that can be abused if a specific user is targeted, but there is no other way to do this process than automate it unless Ronimo has dedicated report staff to review every single report.

I've brought the suggestion up to them to not allow multiple reports over a span of time from the same user (i.e. User 1 reports User 2, and has to wait 30 mins before they can report User 2 for the same offense again OR has to have a different MatchID to prevent consecutive reporting by the same user in the same match), but these have yet to be acknowledged due to the effort they're currently putting into SnS2.

It's by no means an "intentionally lazy design", but rather the best with the time and effort they could work with then. It would've been more efficient to spend longer on reforming their existing systems yes, but you have to remember that this is a small indie development team; every hour they waste on something that will not bring additional income will result in a greater possibility of the company itself going under. It's a lot more practical than you'd think, even if it is frustrating to deal with, so I'd ask both of you to be a little more understanding of this situation please.

All hail Nekomian. :worship:

Devmon52 wrote:
Voltar: is a moving breadstick of death

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:01 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Nekomian wrote:
...but these have yet to be acknowledged due to the effort they're currently putting into SnS2.

No no no. Not having it.

The issue with mass reporting has not suddenly popped into existence upon the moment of their porting Swords and Soldiers II. People have been complaining about it—indeed, the reporting system, and its methods, in general—for years.

It is not feasible to have a report system in which it is possible for any player effectively to ban any other player from the chat, arbitrarily, by abusing its design.

Instead of pumping out increasingly uninspired 'Nauts, perhaps some of that time should have been spent reforming the systems that aren't working as intended. Obviously, it's not possible for us to go back in time and change that, because my TARDIS is on rent at the moment, but the badge of "small, indie company" shouldn't be used as a shield against any and all valid criticism.

There is an expectation of quality no matter how small the operation. A semi-decent report system is not a particularly new nor innovative design, especially considering that, by your own admission, it's already been brought to their attention several times in the past. The idea that it's not a problem now because they're "busy" is facetious; it's been a problem far longer than Swords and Soldiers II's port has been extant.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:54 pm 

Referencing my most recent response in this post: https://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/view ... 6&start=20 as well, since it is appropriate for the situation.

mugg1991 wrote:
Getting reported by several users will ban you from chatting in Global Chat for 12-24 hours, even if the reasons they reported you are not legitimate.

Global Chat bans *are reviewed manually*, but taken with a grain of salt; since they don't interrupt gameplay itself, they are generally given out if the user has expressed some sort of harassment, vulgar language, or otherwise harsh wording included.

Again, from what I've been told, these reports are reviewed; they are not handed out arbitrarily, even if the reports are batched and the majority of the system is automated. If you'd like to disagree or dispute a ban you can send an e-mail to cheating@ronimo-games.com (iirc that's their mail for that), but any and all bans *are* up to the discretion of the on-staff personnel reviewing the reports. I'm sorry if you disagree that the reasons "are not legitimate", but that's something you'd have to take up with the person whom initiated said ban.

If you have any other questions or concerns I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability as well.

Devmon52 wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:17 am 

UPDATE: After bringing it to their attention, ronma has patched the issue and it will go live in the next update.

Sorry for any previous misinformation, in-game bans are still (and always will be) issued manually, but it appears global chat bans were automatic upon reaching a certain threshold. It might've been vague wording and a misunderstanding on mine or ronimo's part, but this post is to clarify that.

That being said, I cannot guarantee that anyone who has abused this system in the previous period won't be banned for this, since it is definitely not intended and outright wrong. Please do not abuse the report system while it is still bugged, as Ronimo does have logs of every report filed and can tell if an individual has done so.

I cannot issue a formal warning (as I am not mod staff myself), but just know that this is my own personal recommendation to all of my fellow community members.

Devmon52 wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:38 am 

Good to know we weren't actually spouting nonsense and that there really was something seriously wrong with the report system.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:57 am 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Good to know we weren't actually spouting nonsense and that there really was something seriously wrong with the report system.

No one said that any of the reports here were false or nonsensical, but without actual hard data and factual proof it's difficult to ascertain the underlying reasons behind things. Excuse me for being skeptical, but it's just a part of being in tech support. I could have 20 people come to me and report a specific user was hacking, but until I see concrete proof (or I forward it and ronma sees it) I would not call to have that specific person banned or whatnot. Doing so would be a major injustice on my own and many other representatives' parts, and I myself try to adhere to this standard.

That being said, I did forward all of the forum requests here regarding chat bans as soon as I got back; I'm still going to forward an issue and try and solve it regardless of whether or not I think it's plausible (i.e. report system shouldn't have been designed with a known exploit, any developer should realize this isn't good practice).

Devmon52 wrote: