Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: And so Starts the Journey of the Space Admiral(Swiggs Guide)
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:39 pm 

Location: São Paulo - Brazil (and no, Blanka isn't my neighbor)
Hi guys! Since Micesmack is taking care of the Guides Topic and spoke that there's not a single Swiggins guide I'll make a try and put my name into the history of this awesome forum Image
Inb4: I'm not a native english speaker so feel free to say if anything is unreadable.

Guide to Swiggins by TcheORfabio (1.23) Image

Admiral Swiggins is a initiator by excellence, both his skills are great to start a fight and/or have sure that the target will not flee alive from the fight. Swiggs isn't fast or invisible like Leon or Froggy, another two great initiators, but he compensate it by being much more tankier than those both and by the fact that Anchor Hook is a really fast projectile with a high range by default.

The base build that I'll use here is this one:

On the Drop

Image Image or Image

Solar Tree and any of the two skills, some team compositions can benefit more from Anchor Hook while other can work better with Anchor Drop earlier. If your team is a faster team like Froggy, Leon,Rae or something that doesn't need to pin the enemy into place to cause some damage then go Hook since it is a little more versatile while Anchor Drop is a more CC gank tool. My advice, if you're pubbing ofc, is to teleport back after you have enough to buy the other skill since both Swiggs skills have a huge synergy, but feel free to do what fits you better.

Early Game
ImageImage

Damage and Stun on hook is the best open if you're a pubber like me, 45 damage plus a stun that let you hit them at least once without retaliation can be the difference between a enemy running away or 60 extra solar into your pocket. If you have a team that can benefit more from a big CC early into the game you can build like this:

Alternative Early Game
Image Image

Be wise into what of the two you'll full upgrade first, some nauts can nuke the anchor really easy even early game and so Alien Sweetener can have a extra buy early while other nauts are just screwed if they got hit by the anchor, in that case go extra duration first. This early game is indicated only if you can really trust your teammates since you'll lack damage to finish anyone. Keep together with your team and aim for the nauts that already use any skill that could be used to escape from Homboldt.
Team Composition suggestions for this open: Clunk, Derpl, Ayla and maybe Skolldir are the nauts that can benefit more from this earlier since they're able to cause some real damage early but maybe doesn't have the tools to keep the chase that early into the match yet.

Mid Game

Image Image Image Image

Swiggins is a very AA dependant naut so now is where you start to build your firepower. A nice thing about the Ink Shot is the fact that it don't slow down Swiggins so boots plus Bovinian makes Swiggins a chaser, not an Ayla's chase mode but if you're using Ink Shot so it means that they was anchored and probably ganked a moment before so they shouldn't have much health by the start of the chase. If it is more of your taste you can change Pool Boy by Royal Toy Castle by a safer initiation after Anchor Drop or Krill Biscuits for a tankier Swiggs.

Late Game

Image Image

OR

Image Image

Here is where you complement or just finish the way you have chose early game. If you want to Hook people more so buy cooldown now if you chose the more support Swiggins so end upgrade Anchor Drop. Pills are incredible for Swiggins since it increase the anchor's max health too but try to buy it just if you're really in need of the extra health. If you want extra health into the anchor just buy Alien Sweetener, it have a better solar/benefit into this case.

Matchups

Froggy: This is all about who shot first (Han?) since Anchor Hook cancels Tornado and Splash Dash cancels Anchor Drop. With the solidification of Triple Damage Splash Dashes (thanks unBalance Patch for this) your anchor will not stand too much time so try to bait a Splash+Tornado combo and cancel the Tornado with Hook, while he's stunned hit him some times and then anchor him in the place. Bodyblock the anchor if he dashed, if he not doesn't even bother, cause the more damage you can and hope for the best.

Lonestar: The jumper little brat is really annoy to fight against as the space squid. He'll never stop to jump so keep hitting him is difficult and his falcon punch cause more damage than your Anchor Hook in a smaller cooldown. Pay attention to his Bull and try to evade it, if he waste it he's probably will be a easy target for a Anchor Drop and some ink shots.

Leon: Pay attention to how he builded their AA. Normally Leons build Backstab first so if it's a 1vs1 situation don't flee and fight him back since you have almost the same dps and have more life. If you see that the thing will get riskier drop the anchor and flee. If you see that you gonna win and he starts to flee drop the anchor again and guarantee the kill with ink shots since anchor drop procs on invisible targets.

Clunk:Well, you're probably screwed here since Clunks excels at close range, exactly where you need to be to do stuff and is where you end after a Anchor Hook. Keep your distance and just dive in if you have sure that you can get a kill. If you get snared you can try to do some spiderman move and try to hook yourself into some wall with the hope to escape before the explode finishes but I wouldn't rely into this type of move. Into your advantage if Clunk messes up Anchor Drop will just ensure that he'll be pretty dead.

Voltar: Poor Voltar... If he doesn't run damage on Healbot and/or knockback on heal beam he's just a solar bag that can walk for you. Hook into him, beat him up and anchor him into the ground if he have the chance to escape. Bodyblock the anchor to not allow the droids explosion to destroy it. If he does run damage or knockback be careful, into late-game the walking brain can dish out some incredible damage, wait for him to overextend and then do your magic.

Gnaw: You don't have any high burst to deal with nests and your slow movement is a easy target to spit pokes so it is a problematic matchup. If you anchor him out of his nest you probably can finish him if you protect your anchor but his DoT will take some significant health away from you. You can experiment run med'i'can instead of boots or Pills if you keep having problems with Gnaw.

Coco: Another case of slow movement making you a easy target for pokes. If you bait the ball and anchor her into the ground there's no Blaze that will allow her to escape and probably you'll have more dps into AA if her doesn't rush it. Wait for the ball, dodge it, dives in, anchor her, profit.

Skolldir: Stun+range will really screw you up. Don't even try go 1vs1 against him. Ask for help of your team and waits until the right time to anchor dive anchor drop him. Alien Sweetener must be necessary since Earthquake destroys the anchor a second before the Anchor Drop finishes.

Yuri: Anchor Hook takes him down of the sky and Anchor Drop keeps him close to the ground for the Monkey Inverse Piñata Beat up Party unless he's running CC imunnity. Swiggins AA turns the jetpack off too so you probalby will not have much problem. Just watch out for facemines when you dive in and you should be fine.

Raelynn: Anchor Hook cancels snipe, use it to your advantage whenever the occassion shows up. Watch out for timerifts, you're slow and it will really screw you up if you fall inside of one.

Derpl: Keep your distance if he turrets up and let your team poke him down, if he leave turret mode dive in and lock him in place. Watch out for snares to avoid nukes or when he tries to escape.

Vinnie: Since he's the King of burst AoE Anchor Drop probably will not do much if you not bait it out before. Rush PPC into midgame probably is nice move to keep you and your anchor in one piece.

Genji: His AA is something to respect and Misfortune Cookie can deal a lot of damage to you. Bait the coccoon and go together with your team.

Ayla: Don't duel her and keep the anchor if you need to run away or if she messes it up. Poke her with Ink Shots or stun her with Anchor Dive if there's someone to nuke her down while it.

Swiggins: Keep attention to how he's building up. If he's going for Anchor Drop first and you for Anchor Hook dive in and try to keep the anchor until last time since it have more dps than ink shots, if you succed into it he'll need to flee and then you still have your Anchor Drop to keep him at place.

Playstyle

Swiggins is expensive so farm a lot and keep together with another teammate, if you find yourself alone keep the Anchor Drop for a secure escape. Anchor Dive if the situation is favorable but avoid to dive in into more than one target. Coordinate ganks with Anchor Drop, a anchored target is a easy kill since the base duration of it is kinda of long. Bodyblock the anchor to avoid get it destroyed.

Alternative Playstyles

Recommended by: mr killspree

Image Image Image

Damage, blind and shield for a safer approach. Without Attack Speed you're gonna lose some dps but between the constant blind and the shield you can sustain the duel for longer. The nice of this build is the fact that even without the anchor you gonna be a respectable threat.

Recommended by: daniel_brony

Image Image Image

Full burst damage ahead Swiggins. Build into damage on hook, AA, Pool Boy, Pneumatic Spoon and Cooldown reduction on Hook. Then before start a fight preload a Pool Boy. When it's time you'll be able to Hook (45), hit them with AA for double damage (40), drop the anchor (10), another double AA now with ink shot (13), hit a few shots before the anchor breaks for more damage (30) and with cooldown reduction you'll be able to finish them with another Anchor Dive (45). This is more than 180 damage in a few seconds. More than enough to kill the majority of the cast if you have just a little of backup of your team.

Tricks and Tips

- Use the Anchor Hook to complement Swiggs jump. Hook yourself into walls, floor and ceilings for faster movement and neat escapes.

- Anchor Dive ignores anything that isn't a naut so you can use it to escape bodyblocks from things like weeds,clones,bulls or droids.

- You can use you anchor as a meatshield to get that extra push against turrets or to protect your droids when they're near the turrets. Just try to get it back before it get destroyed since it can put yourself into some bad situations where your skills could help you out.

- Don't Anchor Drop right after a dive. Try to AA them a little before it, especially if you have stun.

- If you're running Pool Boy charge a double damage before enter in battle. If you're good at mentally keep the time until anchor goes back you can hit a double ink spray right before the anchor goes back and then hit with double damage anchor right after it.

- Bodyblock the anchor to avoid see it get destroyed before Anchor Drop times out. Don't bother yourself with it against Froggies, Aylas, Clunks, Vinnies or any AoE naut unless they try to run at first allowing you to bodyblock them far away of the anchor.

- As Voltar, Swiggins can cancel a jumppad by starting to float and float while teleport. Use it to escape.

I hope that you guys like it! See you on the space battlefields!

Last edited by TcheORfabio on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: And so Starts the Journey of the Space Admiral(Swiggs Gu
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:51 pm 

Geezz, nobody plays Swiggins or what? almost 100 views and not a single answer :cry:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:52 pm 

TcheORfabio wrote:
Geezz, nobody plays Swiggins or what? almost 100 views and not a single answer :cry:

I play Swiggins. I'm just not too into a cc build for him.
My build usually focuses on his AA. Like with Bovinian Skimmed Milk and with boots. He is able to really solo efficiently.

I find both pool boy and his AA attack speed increase to be rather useless. Instead I go for Not Seaweed and Royal Toy Castle. Not Seaweed despite how obviously weak it is, really confuses nauts and allows you to solo them. Additionally RTC allows you to sustain this solo for longer.

Both Paladium Teabag Chain, and Alien Sweetner are also useless unless you have a decent team backing you. IMO if you are planning on going AA, of which Swiggins is good at. You are better off just getting damage upgrades from his anchor drop, as you don't need to pick hombolt back up considering all the bonuses you would get without it.

Your utility row seems perfect, but I don't see any point in cooldown reduction in the hook row considering how often it is required to drop and possibly "lose" hombolt. Instead I prefer range. I usually hook in, drop hombolt. Already at about 100 damage. Then finish them off with AA, the blind confuses them and allows easy kills.

I also upgrade into his AA first, this makes clearing droid waves easier early game and overall farming becomes better. Of course I get his basic abilities before this.

I like your build for when running premades, but not while solo.

Steam: mr_killspree

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:59 pm 

Nice observations killspree, as I said the CC option is more for when you can trust your teammates, since I soloqueue a lot normally I go for full damage too. I never used Not Seeweed before, it really worth the use even with such a low duration? Maybe I'll give it a try today.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 pm 

TcheORfabio wrote:
Nice observations killspree, as I said the CC option is more for when you can trust your teammates, since I soloqueue a lot normally I go for full damage too. I never used Not Seeweed before, it really worth the use even with such a low duration? Maybe I'll give it a try today.

You might not like it at start, but at least you can get the satisfaction from knowing it really infuriates people. It really depends on how competent your enemies are.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:00 am 

I tested the Not Seeweed and I just didn't liked it. Its duration is just too short to looks it's making difference until you upgrade attack speed. I just prefer Royal Toy Castle or Pool Boy over it. But if it works for you it's okay! :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 am 

TcheORfabio wrote:
I tested the Not Seeweed and I just didn't liked it. Its duration is just too short to looks it's making difference until you upgrade attack speed. I just prefer Royal Toy Castle or Pool Boy over it. But if it works for you it's okay! :ayla:

I like it, you can shoot from afar and sit back relaxing.
I hate Poolboy, never use it, but Royal Toy Castle is amazing.

Poolboy or Not Seaweed, IMO attack speed might be worth a test. But it is expensive for a full 30% increase that is cheaper for other nauts. But for 200 more Solar, that means more lane farming before I can just charge.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:17 pm 

Great Guide :monkey:

Got a slightly different Swiggins build myself, but still got some good information from it. Will try to use some of these later. Pool Boy is really interesting upgrade, and seems like you're using it to the full potential.

Glad you got the Tricks and Tips Section, is really nice for most people, even when running different builds ^^

r0estir0bbe wrote:
I always imagine daniel_brony to be a butterfly fairy with this look on his face: ^^
:lolstar:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:00 pm 

Thanks brony! Share your playstyle here too! Would be nice to have a All Swiggins Thread with many different builds and playstyles :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:41 pm 

TcheORfabio wrote:
Thanks brony! Share your playstyle here too! Would be nice to have a All Swiggins Thread with many different builds and playstyles :ayla:

Sure. I'm not such a good Swiggins, but played him a little, since I used random a lot ^^

I'm a FUS user with all my mains (even Coco), since I like starting with both skills and having grand late game. I just buy Pills when I feel like it, but usually kind of early as Swiggins, but since it vary so much, I always set it in the end of my build order :)
Going damage early on both AA and Hook, for much damage.

When build is maxed out you can preload AA and Hook, AA, drop, AA, pick up anchor (no + time, so I get to pick it up for heal and new Pool Boy), another Hook (of CD now with CD upgrade). Don't wanna bother doing the math of this, but it's a lot of Damage and really scary late game :thumb:

r0estir0bbe wrote:
I always imagine daniel_brony to be a butterfly fairy with this look on his face: ^^
:lolstar: