Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Pathetic Skølldir
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 am 

I've played this naut my entire career in this game. I used to be able to crush my way into League 3 and 2 easily. What the hell happened to Skølldir over the years? These days it feels impossible to play as anything but dead weight with him. Allow me to explain.

The whole point of Skølldir from the beginning was that he's supposed to be difficult to play. I know this forum is dead, but I've seen people talking about how all the nerfs over the years were supposed to make him more accessible to new players. But that's not what this character is about. He can only punch vertically. You need to position yourself exactly right, otherwise it'll be a swing and a miss. You need to be able to time your earthquakes perfectly to maximize damage. And you need to put your body in the right spot to land that excellent throw.

The point of Skølldir has always been to punish other awesomenauts who get too close. Huge punches within his short range. Punishing crowd control if you end up in his mitts. Lately it feels like the opposite. Skølldir now plays like a punk-ass noodle armed lookingmotherfugker. Here are the problems I have:

• Not enough health. Remember, the point of Skølldir is to punish those who get too close. With all the ranged characters, burst damage, and massive AOE skills in the game, by the time I'm close enough to essentially any awesomenaut, I'm at 10% health. He gets absolutely SHREDDED so quickly, it's laughable. I spend more time in the spawn than playing the game.
  • Way too slow compared to other Awesomenauts. If the point of Skølldir's punishment is being within range, I should at least have a fighting chance to keep up with nauts and catch them. Nowadays I just have to punch droids like an idiot, waiting for someone to accidentally run into me so I can initiate.
  • Slow attacks. Ever tried to kill a wave of droids by yourself as Skølldir? It takes eons. You can unload all your abilities into the droids and they still have health leftover. Meanwhile, the Froggie on the opposite team shreds a wave with one ability. Skølldir's 3 hit combo has so much delay between every other action and ability. In team fights, you'll be lucky to get 4 total punches out before everyone has either run away or you've died from burst damage. I spend so much time mashing my mouse buttons trying activate my next ability while waiting for his animations to finish.
  • Lousy damage output. Let's face it. With all the damage you're taking, you won't want to risk actually getting close to other players for your first two punches to do anything, so you are forced to rely on the 3rd punch. And that only does 200-350 damage with upgrades. To one... single... target at a time. That is not even remotely enough damage to be a viable character in this game anymore. Meanwhile, Lonestar gets out there and does more than that in 1.5 seconds of auto-attacking.

He needs a buff. Either,
  • Give him more base health
  • Give him more movement speed
  • Remove the animation delays between attacks or
  • Increase base damage.

Or any combination of the above. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Post subject: Re: Pathetic Skølldir
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:42 pm 

23 of the top 100 ranked nauts players are skolldir mains, what.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post subject: Re: Pathetic Skølldir
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 am 

Skoll is a naut who only does well depending on the person playing him. When players got better at playing him, it was discovered how his upgrades that aid him pushed him into S+ tier.

Skoll has always been a naut about spacing and timing. You need skill to play him, and yes, players have mastered this. Hell, the 1-2 punch combo working better on turrets was discovered late into nauts. It sounds like you never did and let upgrades carry you. The nerfs were because those players became an unstoppable oppressive force with him. An upgraded throw plus 2 punches into quake = dead. Skolls have no problem clearing, even if its not his best job (upgrade gnome or throw damage, wow). He gets solar from kills anyway. Skoll doesn't need anything when the top skolls could come back and still destroy with him. Even if they have a bad MU they pick range punch and continue as normal. His nerfs were justified.