Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Vinnie?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:31 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
What does roaming have to do with any of this?

The 150 Solar that is required to make BFoGF work can be considered committed the moment you purchase the upgrade. There is no situation in which you can spend that Solar, or even part of the total, and generate advantage from the sale. Any upgrade that takes you below the magic 150 Solar, although said upgrade in and of itself may be advantageous, strips you of the prior BFoGF advantage.

You can't have the benefit of both upgrades without gaining additional Solar, which is no different to being unable to buy two upgrades simply because you don't have the required Solar for them in the first place. This idea that BFoGF doesn't "cost" 300 Solar is insanity. It's like saying, "I took out a loan for £10,000 and am now £10,000 richer."

If you think that's true, there is a problem. Also, let me interest you in these here loans that I guarantee are not malicious, you sweet walking bag of cash, you.

You must always have at least 150 Solar in your pocket to gain BFoGF's advantage. That Solar ceases to exist as purchasing power.

Now, this is true:

Gameinsky wrote:
Damn, I spent 10 solar too much and no longer have bag of goldfish... too bad solar doesn't literally -exist- as floating cubes randomly above the floor.... upgrade is ruined.

That, however, is no different to being 10 Solar short of the full 300 Solar. You can't buy an upgrade and use it without the full price anyway. Think of BFoGF as an upgrade you can buy for half its price but not use without "paying" the rest.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:53 pm 

lordy, and now from a discussion we have a damned rant about a fine upgrade.
Balance subforum in a shellnut.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:56 pm 

It could be kinda cool, if the upgrade gave you +1% for every 10 solar you have, capped at 25% at 250 solar for example.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Mr Nutz jr wrote:
lordy, and now from a discussion we have a damned rant about a fine upgrade.
Balance subforum in a shellnut.

This isn't a rant. None of what anyone's saying here is a rant. Stop looking for things to complain about just because I'm the one responding to people in a thread that interests me. If you want to add to the whole "Vinnie" discussion beyond talking about Bag Full of Gold Fish, be my guest.

An upgrade that's fine in your eyes might not be fine in the eyes of others. We're well within our remit to talk about it just as you are to defend it. That's how forums work. That's literally what the word forum means, as a matter of fact.

Unbecoming.

IsoKoala wrote:
It could be kinda cool, if the upgrade gave you +1% for every 10 solar you have, capped at 25% at 250 solar for example.

That could even potentially be an upgrade that costs zero Solar, because its power scales off your current wealth instead of a one-time buy.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:26 pm 

When it comes to Vinnies other upgrades, I miss the range upgrade a lot. :tear: Maybe it was a crutches upgrade, but also was a good fun turret-defender-buster, group annihilator, and method to spike your opponents from distances unpredicted. One of the few range upgrades I actuallt use(d).

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:36 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Gameinsky wrote:
Damn, I spent 10 solar too much and no longer have bag of goldfish... too bad solar doesn't literally -exist- as floating cubes randomly above the floor.... upgrade is ruined.

That, however, is no different to being 10 Solar short of the full 300 Solar. You can't buy an upgrade and use it without the full price anyway. Think of BFoGF as an upgrade you can buy for half its price but not use without "paying" the rest.

Being 10 seconds earlier on the battlefield is pretty dope, sure, it's not -that- much but add it up amongst the dozen returns you will be making.

Sometimes I feel like I need something else than the damage so it's nice to be able to temporarily trade off damage for say speed, or silence.
It catches people off-guard because they have no idea if you have sacrificed your damage or not (since only you know exactly how much you have) so they have to treat you like you always have BofG, it's a psychological disadvantage.
Then they realise you no longer have it, but it doesn't matter. There's no way to know when you'll have it back, so they still have to play as if you have BofG active, or risk dying.
You're essentially forcing your opponents to play based around a 300 solar upgrade, except you only spent 150 on it.

There's more to this game than just dealing raw damage, you know.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:42 pm 

Gameinsky wrote:
You're essentially forcing your opponents to play based around a 300 solar upgrade, except you only spent 150 on it.

So you're saying that it's not only a 300 solar upgrade for you, but for the enemy team as well.

:shrug:

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:44 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
Gameinsky wrote:

So you're saying that it's not only a 300 solar upgrade for you, but for the enemy team as well.

:shrug:

What? :derp:

I literally said that sometimes this upgrade is a 150 solar upgrad efor you but 300 for the enemy team.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:19 am 

IsoKoala wrote:

I like the idea; it's the same logic behind changing Penny's Heart-Shaped Net.

I'd reduce the price of the upgrade itself to 100 and set the cap at 20% - Vinnie does not need a max burst damage buff, as far as I can tell.

This also introduces a bit of counter-play on top of everything else; your opponents can get a rough idea of how much money you have based on your dive damage, giving them an additional bit of info for the sake of threat assessment. It's a tiny thing, but the tiny things help make the game more interesting, too.