Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Sentry is too weak
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:14 pm 

Does anyone agree with me that Sentry has become too bad from all the nerfs he has received?
I recently got back into the game and the last time I played before that was around a year ago so I don't know exactly which patches touched Sentry and I never complain about balancing but these changes astounded me to the point that I really wanted to say something about it. He's one my favorite nauts too, so when I saw that every ability he has was nerfed I was quite upset.

I don't know why they decided to make stationary mines do less damage. The whole point of a mine type of attack is to create area denial and punishment for bad movement. Gnaw's acid doesn't do less damage when it's on the ground; frankly, it's even better when it's on the ground in certain circumstances. Yuri's mines offer extreme zoning and area control as well and mostly preside as static targets. Bouncy mines exist but you'd be giving up an upgrade slot to make it so. As Sentry, you could place a bunch of mines around an area to block it off if you wanted to, but the way that it functions now removes the whole point of that. They may as well just replace his left click with a generic auto like Lonestar's if this is the path they're taking with it. I feel like a good way to balance it is to revert the changes and make Not So Serious Tank increase the damage of moving mines more than it does to stationary mines, that way it can still be present but not as harmful to his zoning potential.

Moving onto Black Hole Sun. I'm okay with the change to Bug Detector but why did they have to make the radius of the black hole smaller? This is very counter-intuitive to the concept of the ability. It's supposed to catch nauts and keep them stuck in there with its pulling power so they take the damage, but now that it's so small I've seen so many different nauts pull off an escape by merely moving out of it without using any abilities. Maybe one of the upgrades can be replacing to making the radius larger. I'd prefer removing disguise mustache if that were to be the case.

About Teleport Beacon, the 45 second timer is hardly ever an issue that I have to deal with in-game, but my bigger problem lies in Circuits of Time. No matter how differently I interact with the beacon, the decoy never spawns. Ever. I've had so many different tries and nothing happened. Maybe this is a bug?

Overall, I just feel that Sentry's utility has been worsened and his overall damage has decreased. I'm not sure what prompted Ronimo to think that he needed nerfs. Then again, maybe I'm simply biased that one of my favorites have been nerfed. I don't even want to play him now.

Post subject: Re: Sentry is too weak
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 pm 

Should I meme this.

On-topic : sentry is still at the top even with all the nerf he received. Doesn't really change much about him. Even if you butcher him hard, he'll still be relevant simply by being useful while being passive and stalling his way to victory (nerf his * AOE waveclear goddamnit)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:33 pm 

Mr Nutz jr wrote:
Should I meme this.

On-topic : sentry is still at the top even with all the nerf he received. Doesn't really change much about him. Even if you butcher him hard, he'll still be relevant simply by being useful while being passive and stalling his way to victory (nerf his * AOE waveclear goddamnit)

I don't know. I might be playing him incorrectly after all these changes but the wave clear comment doesn't matter too much. Lots of nauts have insane clear anyway.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:10 pm 

No.
Moving on.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 pm 

Gnaw's spit deals contact damage, spit on the ground deals less damage.

Sentry has enough zoning as is with BHS and beacon.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:40 pm 

That's interesting. I didn't know he was good now. He wasn't insane before the nerfs so I don't know what made him too viable all of a sudden.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:06 am 

lionater wrote:
That's interesting. I didn't know he was good now. He wasn't insane before the nerfs so I don't know what made him too viable all of a sudden.

Sentry has always been on the breaking point in terms of a balanced or overpowered naut. Basically what tipped him over the edge were two things, first off his gravity pull buff that was meant as a compensation for his noteworthy reduction of size on BHS. The second buff was his AA DPS in close engagements. People realized that rushing attack speed and tele-stim was insanely strong as he could outperform dedicated damage dealers in terms of DPS and simply provide an unfair fight.

He's always been a very strong tank, and skilled Sentry players land BHS almost as reliably now with the reduction of size due to the maximum gravity getting increased (+8% i believe), so he can still catch footsies with relative ease off cooldown.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:35 am 

Is the attack speed upgrade on AA still bugged so that it increases it by more than it says it does?

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 am 

Xelrog wrote:
Is the attack speed upgrade on beacon still bugged so that it increases it by more than it says it does?

It has been fixed last patch

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:57 am 

lionater wrote:
my bigger problem lies in Circuits of Time. No matter how differently I interact with the beacon, the decoy never spawns. Ever. I've had so many different tries and nothing happened. Maybe this is a bug?

It's a bug; the upgrade does nothing currently. It's been reported at least twice but Ronimo seems to be in no particular rush to do anything about it. Funny, that seems to be their attitude towards most bugs

Anyway, Sentry is still very strong, especially in premades, but harder to play. It's more important than ever to catch enemies in the center of BHS and to correct for momentum. Also, the silence duration nerf means you have to basically telefrag and cast BHS simultaneously to get value out of it against dashers.

lionater wrote:
I don't know why they decided to make stationary mines do less damage.

So it's not so easy to get value by mindlessly spamming and to reward skillful aiming. But they stationary mines still do respectable damage, so I don't see your point. If you hate aiming your AA, you can always buy Drive over skulls and get constant free chip dmg, which was recently restored to its former annoying glory

main: :think:
second: :clap:
occasionally also play: :worship: :sleep: :scoop: :GnawShock: :rocco: :thumb: