Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Awesomenauts League with Bets: Season 2! (Draft of Rules
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:04 am 

Hey guys, so here is what you can expect from Season 2 in regards to the rules and format. It's a rough draft, so keep in mind that things may change before the Season 2 start date is announced:

Note: The rules are a pain to read without proper formatting, but be sure to check out the summary and an example of the picks and bans, which is located below the rules. Do check out the maps and character section of the rules though as they are different from Season 1

Quote:
Application Process:
* Teams must consist of exactly three starters and one substitute with one player assuming the role of the captain
* Submit team application to awesomenautsleaguewithbets@gmail.com following the criteria below:
1. Team Name
2. Region (NA, EU, BR, ASIA, or AUS)
3. Time Zone (GMT)
4. Team Members
a) Captain (Link to Steam Profile)
b) Starter
c) Starter
d) Substitute
5. Skill Level

Screening Phase:
* Teams will be screened at the discretion of the League organizer
* For any reason, teams may be disqualified from participating in the League
* Upon request, teams will be given a reason to justify the decision of the League organizer

Tryouts:
* Teams who make it out of the Screening Phase will be placed into a bracket based on appropriate skill levels, regions
- This does not mean a League 1-2 bracket, a League 3-4 bracket, and a League 5+ bracket or an NA bracket, an EU bracket, and a BR bracket
* Teams will be required to play under the League's format

Qualifiers:
* Based on the tryouts, teams may be required to play in a qualifying match

Selection Process:
* X teams will be selected to participate in the League based on the Tryouts and Qualifiers
- Where X is the # of teams which will be determined by the # of sign ups

Season:
* Round robin, divisional format
- Each team will be required to play one match with every other team in their division
* After the season has concluded, X teams will advance to the Playoffs where they will be paired up amongst each other based on the results from the Season
- Following the Point System

Point System:
* Winning 2-0 = 3 Points
* Winning 2-1 = 2 Points
* Losing 1-2 = 1 Point
* Losing 0-2 = 0 Points

Playoffs:
* Single elimination
* Third place match
* Teams will be seeded and paired amongst each other based on the results from the Season
* Higher seeded teams will have Advantage in the Playoffs and Map choice for the first game

Advantage:
* Refers to the team that chooses the Host for the third game, if a third game is necessary to complete a match
* During the Season, a coin flip will be used to determine the team with the Advantage

Host:
* The team with Advantage chooses the Host for the first game
- Can be chosen from any team
* The team without Advantage chooses the Host for the second game
- Can be chosen from any team including the prveious host
* The team with Advantage chooses the Host for the third game
- Can be chosen from any team including previous hosts

Ping Test:
* A ping test will commence prior to a match between the teams
- The purpose of this is to familiarize each player with the pings of the opposing teams and to ensure that host does not reconnect
* Both teams can agree to opt out of the ping test, however, if one team does not opt out, then a ping test is mandatory

Match Format:
* Best of 3

Map:
* Ribbit IV and Auillion are playable
* Sorona, AI Station 404, and AI Station 205 are not playable

Characters:
* All characters are playable

Game Format:
* A referee will be assigned to each Match from the list of referees
- If a referee is unavailable, then the next referee on the list will be assigned to the match
- If no referee is available, then both teams can agree on a referee of their choice
* Each Game in a Match will be broken down into the following steps:
1. Simultaneously, each team announces their starting players
2. Map is chosen for the game
- First game is chosen, by random, from the playable maps*
- Second game is chosen, by the loser of the first game, from the playable maps
- Third game is chosen, by the loser of the second game, from the playable maps
* During the playoffs, the first map will be chosen, by the higher seeded team, from the playable maps
3. Simultaneously, each team submits one ban to the referee
- Both teams can submit identical bans
- The ban will be considered game wide and will effect both teams for that game only
4. Simultaneously, each team submits their first pick they intend on playing to the referee
- Teams are prohibited from selecting a ban
- Both teams can submit identical picks
5. Simultaneously, each team submits their second ban to the referee
- The ban cannot be one that has already been picked
- The ban will be considered game wide and will effect both teams for that game only
6. Simultaneously, each team submits their second pick they intend on playing to the referee
- Teams are prohibted from selecting a ban
7. Simultaneously, each team submits their third ban to the referee
- The ban cannot be one that has already been picked
8. Simultaneously, each team submits their third pick they intend on playing to the referee
- Teams are prohibted from selecting a ban

*There is no ban immunity

Summary: Essentially, teams that sign up will immediately be screened before entering a tryout stage. Teams that tryout out will be selected to participate in the League. Qualifiers may be used to help determine which teams qualify for the League.

The teams will be split into divisions and the season will commence with a divisional round robin. The performance of the teams will be rated based on the points system (3pts for 2-0 win, 2pts for 2-1 win, 1pt for 1-2 loss, 0pts for 0-2 loss) and the top teams will advance to the single elimination playoffs.

The finals (and 3rd place match) will occur during the ALWB Weekend which will also consist of the ALWB All-Star Event.

Picks & Bans:
Here is an example of the picks and bans for the match:

Quote:
BOSS vs. NN
Map: Ribbit IV
1. BOSS bans Coco, NN bans Nibbs
2. BOSS picks Skree, NN picks Froggy
3. BOSS bans Leon, NN bans Leon
4. BOSS picks Ayla, NN picks Clunk
5. BOSS bans Vinnie, NN bans Ted
6. BOSS picks Froggy, NN picks Lonestar

Bans: Coco, Nibbs, Leon, Vinnie, Ted
BOSS Line up: Skree, Ayla, Froggy
NN Line up: Froggy, Clunk, Lonestar

Last edited by Bets on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Awesomenauts League with Bets: Season 2!
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:00 am 

OnlyWanCanole wrote:
This was probably the best tournament to happen to the scene (at the time), and I'm strongly encouraging any and all teams to participate. Bets works really hard to provide the community with some fun and exciting stuff, and if this is promised to be better than season 2 you can be damn sure it's going to be awesome. And besides, who doesn't like stats? :glasses:

I agree with this. The stats makes it so much more fun for people to follow the games too.
Bets wrote:
Game Format

Potentially 6 bans total seems like alot but i think it could work. It promotes naut diversity within the teams. Do the teams get to know the first map before picks and bans?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:04 am 

ubi wrote:
Potentially 6 bans total seems like alot but i think it could work. It promotes naut diversity within the teams. Do the teams get to know the first map before picks and bans?

Technically this will be 2 less bans than Season 1 (since Starstorm was banned outright) and we have 2 more characters (one that would have fallen under auto ban). Map will be known before picks & bans.

And in regards to stats, it wont just be something to look at and keep track of because the plan is to have a fantasy league. The fantasy league would allow anyone to sign up and select 4 players from the League where they will score points based off of the stats that the players have and potentially win prizes. More of that will be made known at a later date.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:23 am 

Bets wrote:
And in regards to stats, it wont just be something to look at and keep track of because the plan is to have a fantasy league. The fantasy league would allow anyone to sign up and select 4 players from the League where they will score points based off of the stats that the players have and potentially win prizes. More of that will be made known at a later date.

That would be great but I can already see lots of issues for doing this in awesomenauts. A lot of good plays don't show up in stats. Especially things like cc and supportive plays cant really be shown in stats.

Steam | Twitch | Gelati community

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:03 pm 

Kooltje wrote:
That would be great but I can already see lots of issues for doing this in awesomenauts. A lot of good plays don't show up in stats. Especially things like cc and supportive plays cant really be shown in stats.

Kills/Deaths, Droid kills, Turret kills, and Heals are enough to keep it interesting, and fairly fair. The thing about fantasy league's in sports, is that it's fairly customizable, although usually they follow similar rules. I have been apart of fantasy leagues that only tracked Goals, Assist, Goalie wins, and Shutouts - which essentially gives less information than what I listed for Nauts. With that in mind, you should be picking players on your fantasy team that you believe will score the most points in those categories.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:31 pm 

I personally think that if you are doing a more active banning system, where the bans will be staggered as such, I don't like not allowing Sorona or AI to be unpickable honestly. While those maps can be disliked by different people, I think that they should still be options for the Loser to pick after the first game. Both maps do promote different playstyles or active bans for certain Nauts to capitalize on the maps choices if a team wants to do that. Just my two cents on the matter, though only having Rib./Ag. as the first choices is good; I just like the idea of counter picking for a map in a later game for a strategic/tactical advantage to catch up.

Forum Code of Conduct!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:40 pm 

I agree with sorona being counter-pickable, but AI 205 should stay out of the map pool, as I'm pretty sure the droids are still bugged on that map.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:49 pm 

kirbyderby wrote:
I agree with sorona being counter-pickable, but AI 205 should stay out of the map pool, as I'm pretty sure the droids are still bugged on that map.

But the droids are bugged on Sorona too :think:

tourrettturan wrote:
Ask Jakob, he knows how to beat everything.

Standard SoloQ

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:02 pm 

When will the tournament be? I guess there isn't already a date but if you can give me an estimated time it will be great.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:23 am 

Eldor wrote:
When will the tournament be? I guess there isn't already a date but if you can give me an estimated time it will be great.

:glasses:

Soon.