Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers II

Post subject: Why SSII Failed IMO
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:13 pm 

I realized this is a dead forum, but it's still probably the most appropriate place I could find to post this. I wanted to share my feedback to players and devs on why this game did not have near as much success as the previous installment. Sorry if some of the points are stating the obvious:
  • Limited availability - Yeah, this one's pretty obvious, but worth emphasizing that making it a Wii U exclusive was probably not a good idea.
  • Terrible AI - In the original SS, the AI could put up a good fight in a skirmish. I'll spare the details and explain that the "Hard" (and anything below) AI is SS is so bad that I have been able to beat it on my first or second try using any race and any tech tree I've tried so far. This is of course because of my extensive experience with the first one, but it's still quite pathetic and really lowers its replay value, especially considering...
  • There's no online multiplayer! - So you're stuck to playing against local friends or AI only. I guess that's all I have to say about that.

The game is otherwise GREAT (campaign, balance, overall presentation). What a shame to package up such a marvelous concept only to implement it so poorly. It's like putting a diamond on a ring made out of string. I'm not sure if it's too late for the devs to pick this back up, but I'm rooting for SS to have a bright future ahead. Hopefully by not overlooking the same important factors next time, it can happen!

Post subject: Re: Why SSII Failed IMO
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 am 

They really just need to release a Steam version.