Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: [ASM] Awesomenauts Settings Manager - Tutorials + Questions
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:25 pm 

Welcome to the ASM General Tutorial
With Awesomenauts Settings Manager (from here on referred to simply as ASM) entering its open period (read: custom games are supported and asking for access should be less of a pain), I think this warrants that the newbies get someone to explain to them what tool exactly they're tinkering with, hm?

I don't claim myself to be the most skilled or professional ASM user, but I do think that whatever knowledge I can share should be enough to get you started in the world of Awesomenauts modding.

Getting ASM
Before we can even start modding, you must first acquire the ASM client. For safety purposes it's only available to the members of the ASM Beta Testers Steam group, where you can also report bugs, suggestion new features and discuss your modding adventures.

To gain access to the group, simply ask me (DarkDXZ), Jinx, DeadlyLampshade, Varna, Nodja or RiceMaster (or any other future group moderators), and they should send you an invite to the group in no time! (do note that most of us are in EU, except for Lampshade, Varna and Nodja who live in Australia and USA respectively, which means that at least one of us will should always be online)

Once you've been invited to the group, the download link to ASM can be found in the [DOWNLOAD] ASM Beta [version] thread. ASM updates come out rather irregularly but recently they have been a lot of them, so be sure to check the thread regularly for new updates!

As of version 0.4.6, ASM is only available for Windows, but Mac/Linux releases may appear in the future.

Getting started, part I
Once you have found and downloaded the program (there's no specific folder that the ASM executable has to be put into), you will need to register yourself - the registration is very quick and it's only (to my knowledge) used for the purpose of the Mod Browser function (more about that later). You only need to register once to make use of ASM.

Once you have registered and logged in, this is what your screen should look like (more or less, anyway).

From top left to right:
New Mod - allows you to make a new mod, starting with inputting its name
Add mod from file - allows you to add a mod from an Awesomenauts Mod File (.amd, ASM's mod file format)
Browse Mods - allows you to browse and download other users' mods

Extended Modding - contains additional modding tools such as Map Editor (as of the time not yet available), Localization Files Editor, File Exporter and ability to change the game maps to custom-made ones (irrelevant until the Map Editor comes out).
Config - lets you change certain ASM features, such as setting a custom path for the game, changing what bug-related messages to show and to enable/disable the file exporter
Launch Awesomenauts - launches the game (the path can be specified in the config) with whatever mods are currently enabled (you can also launch the game from Steam and the mods will load normally). Hitting the tiny arrow next to it allows you to launch the game without mods.

In the center you have the list of all mods locally installed on your PC and some basic information about them (such as name, author, time at which you have downloaded it, the average rating, amount of settings changed by the mod etc.)

Clicking on a mod allows you to make use of one of the following functions (at the bottom of the main ASM window)
Activate/Deactivate - allows you to activate/deactivate the selected mod (alternatively you can click on the checkbox next to a mod's name on the list)
Info - shows extra information about the mod, such as the description and a list of setitngs changed/added by the mod
Rate - allows you to rate the given mod, on a scale of 0 to 5 stars
Comment - opens the comment section of a given mod, allowing you to make comments about the mod (since it's updated on a per-second basis, you can have realtime conversations within the commment window)
Edit - allows you to edit the mod's settings (you can only edit your own mods - trying to edit another user's mod will ask you to make a copy of it first)
Update - downloads the latest version of the selected mod, if there is one
Upload - allows you to upload the selected mod to the browser (you can only upload your own mods)
Delete Mod - deletes the selected mod (you have to confirm that, though)

Getting started, part II
So let's say you want to make a new mod now. Before we can start doing that though, we first have to acquire the game settings - that huge list of various lines of code which determine all in-game behaviors that can be later edited with ASM.

To do that, click New Mod and name it whatever you like.
This is the window that should pop up now.

Right now it may seem very confusing, and more importantly, very empty (as we only have two empty root nodes, Game and Mod). We have to change that. How?

While having ASM open, launch Awesomenauts (either via ASM or Steam) and let the game load. Once you're in main menu, you can close the game (though it's not entirely necessary).

Now if you look at our ASM window again, you can see that the "Game" root node now has a + next to it, and expanding it will reveal a huge list of trees (nodes).
Each of those nodes can link to more nodes (subtrees, if you will), and each node contains certain settings which correspond to a particular aspect of the game.

Now for explaining the functions of the settings editor... (again from top left to right)
Done - lets you quit the settings editor (also to save your current progress)
Save - saves your current mod. Use this often!

Search - lets you input a certain value to look for a specific setting/key/node (Search results will show up within a new root node between Game and Mod called Search Results)
Test - reloads the current game settings (only works when in-game, will ask you to open the game if it's not running), applying the changes while you're still in-game

New tree - creates a new node in the current tree (you can't create root nodes ie. nodes in the Game node itself)
Duplicate tree - duplicates the current node, allowing you to change its name and gives you an option to replace a certain string within that node with another string (case-sensitive, and this will also affect the settings themselves, so if you replace damage with heal, it will change damageSettings to healSettings, so be careful!)
Delete tree - deletes the currently selected node (only works on custom-made nodes)

New Setting - allows you to create a new setting within the currently selected node (it has to be another setting that the game can recognize, and each node has specific settings that can be created within it)
Duplicate Setting - duplicates the currently selected setting and its value, allowing you to choose a new name for the duplicated setting
Delete Setting - clears (in case of default settings) or removes (in case of new/duplicated settings) the chosen setting. Note that simply clearing the value of a stock setting will cause a bug - use this option if you want to disable a certain setting.

Making a simple mod
Okay, we have everything set up, we can finally start doing something meaningful!

Let's start with something really simple - making Lonestar shoot Derpl's Nukes with his blaster.

First, we have to keep one thing in mind - within the game code, 'Nauts don't use their actual names but rather their internal names. Same applies to most in-game upgrades and skills. Within the ASM group you can find a full list of who is what in-game, but for now the two relevant names are Cowboy (Lonestar) and Heavy (Derpl).

Now, let us look for settings related to Lonestar's blaster - to do that, we have to go to the tree called shoot, and find a subtree called CowboyShot (which refers to Lonestar's auto-attack). Clicking the CowboyShot tree will bring up a list of settings on the right. Here we can give Lonestar an ammunition system, change his auto-attack speed (cooldown), make it only available under specific conditions etc.
What is important to us is to find the setting that determines what exactly is being fired using this shoot. To do that we have to find the bulletSettings setting (which will then call for a specified subtree in the tree called bullet) - it should also say CowboyShot (but then it will be bulletCowboyShot rather than shootCowboyShot, which is where we're at right now).

Now, we can do two things here - we can either make Lonestar shoot the exact same Nukes Derpl does, and that can be done by simply replacing CowboyShot in the bulletSettings with HeavyNuke (which is Derpl's Nuke bullet). Saving the mod, hitting the Test button and going into a private/custom game as Lonestar will show that hitting the AA button will now spawn a huge Nuke from Lonestar's hand rather than the usual tiny pea bullet. Getting into a fight will show that it does actually deal Nuke's 50 AoE damage.

Congratulations, you have just made your very first mod! And made Lonestar the most overpowered 'Naut in history, but all in the name of science!

But why stop there? What if we want to customize our Nukestar? What if we want to make the Nukes similar, but different from Derpl's Nukes, without changing the actual Derpl's ability?

To do that, we will have to make a new subtree in the bullet tree for our Nukestar to use. Look for HeavyNuke bullet, duplicate the tree (with the Duplicate tree button) and change its name to CowboyNuke (it can be anything, though). You will also have to change the bulletSettings under CowboyShot to CowboyNuke.

Then if we look at the bullet settings we just created (in the Mod root tree, under bullet), there's a bunch of fun settings to mess around with - changing who they can affect (allies, enemies, self), making them faster, slower, changing their collision hitbox, making it spawn multiple projectiles at once...

What is relevant to us however is changing what damage (and other on-hit effects) values the Nuke will apply to the targets on hit. Since Nuke deals AoE (and not on-contact like normal shots) damage, look for the setting areaOfEffectDamageSettings and change its value to CowboyNuke. You can also change the actual damage AoE. (for future reference, 0.1 is Gnaw's collision width) It will however make the actual graphic and the damage area go out of sync, so let's not touch that for now.

Now go to damage, find HeavyNuke and duplicate it again, changing its name to CowboyNuke.
Go to the newly-duplicated tree and take a look at some of the settings. We can change the actual damage value (making it negative will turn the damage into a heal), add a damage bonus against 'Nauts (which can also be negative, resulting in lowered damage against Nauts or even making it a heal). We can also add damage over time, various CC effects and upgrades (more about upgrades later, these are very important in higher-end modding).

To keep it simple, let's make it deal 15 damage (damage = 15), slow by 15% for 2s (slowFactor = 0.85, slowDuration = 2) and deal 25% damage against turrets (damageMultiplierAgainstTurrets = 0.25). Hit Save, hit Test, pick Lonestar and enjoy your slowing AoE nuke that deals negligible turret damage! :chew:

Now, this is only the tip of the iceberg. You can change many more things with modding - the most amazing example of what can be done with ASM is the Tower Defense 'Nauts mod by Badass Ketchup, which you can read about here.
You can also download the test mod I talked about in this tutorial on the Mod Browser, under the name of Tutorial Mod: Nukestar. You can play around with it, add upon it, do whatever you wish with it.

This tutorial covers merely a fraction of ASM modding, but should be enough to kickstart aspiring modders into the world of Awesomenauts Settings Manager.
If you have any questions, suggetions or maybe want a tutorial on a more specific subject, let me know!

hahahahaha
you're serious aren't you
god dammit

Last edited by DarkDXZ on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [ASM] Awesomenauts Settings Manager - Basic Tutorial
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:04 pm 

Thanks for this awesome tutorial Dark :)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:41 pm 

Bamp cause i just noticed this and it seems really nice. Also i was wondering, to get invited to the group do i add you on steam or should i request an invite in some other way?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:57 pm 

Blabble wrote:
Bamp cause i just noticed this and it seems really nice. Also i was wondering, to get invited to the group do i add you on steam or should i request an invite in some other way?

Just add me/someone else mentioned in the OP on Steam, tell me you want an invite and I'll send you one.

hahahahaha
god dammit

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:25 pm 

DarkDXZ wrote:
Blabble wrote:

Just add me/someone else mentioned in the OP on Steam, tell me you want an invite and I'll send you one.

Alright, cool. Im alien vendor. :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 pm 

Question: Where do i find cooldowns/attackspeeds? Cant seem to find them.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:58 pm 

They're under the appropriate skill's shoot (for ranged attacks) or hit (melee attacks) subtree, and the setting is simply called "cooldown".

So for instance if you want to look for Dynamite's cooldown, go to
shoot -> CowboyGrenade -> cooldown.

Or for Ayla's AA:
hit -> VampireBite -> cooldown.

hahahahaha
god dammit

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:05 pm 

DarkDXZ wrote:
They're under the appropriate skill's shoot (for ranged attacks) or hit (melee attacks) subtree, and the setting is simply called "cooldown".

So for instance if you want to look for Dynamite's cooldown, go to
shoot -> CowboyGrenade -> cooldown.

Or for Ayla's AA:
hit -> VampireBite -> cooldown.

Thanks. :kiss:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:07 pm 

Also a re-post from our group forums:
Quote:
class

Each setting under "class" seems to decide what abilities and character the id specified will spawn.

Each one starts and ends with a special value.

Quote:
Cowboy characterCowboy

The first decides what upgrades the class will use, defined in class's trees, and what value it uses for the game (e.g. MaxSpeed@Cowboy).
(Before 2.5, if you changed this, the class would default to spawning Froggy G. While somewhat fixed, it's pretty buggy now.)

The second decides what character the class will spawn.

Quote:
Dasher walkStandard NONE jumpStandard ABT_FACE_BOTTOM skillsequenceDasherShot ABT_FACE_LEFT castBreakStealth ABT_FACE_LEFT characterDasher
Dasher | walkStandard NONE | jumpStandard ABT_FACE_BOTTOM | skillsequenceDasherShot ABT_FACE_LEFT | castBreakStealth ABT_FACE_LEFT | characterDasher --How it's separated

Between the two special values, you bind various actions to buttons.
Without any, the class will do nothing.

Actions include trees like: walk, jump, skill, shoot, hit and cast.
Some can have an icon with them that will appear in the skilldock from their respective button.

Some Button names translated to Keyboard Controls:
NONE - Not a button, it triggers automatically.
ABT_FACE_LEFT - Left Click with the mouse.
ABT_FACE_RIGHT - Right Click with the mouse, or "Q"
ABT_FACE_TOP - Middle Click with the mouse, or "E"
ABT_FACE_BOTTOM - "W" or Space.
ABT_DOWNJUMP - "S"
ABT_SHOULDER_RIGHT - "F"

hahahahaha
god dammit

Post subject: Re: [ASM] Awesomenauts Settings Manager - Tutorials + Questi
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:58 pm 

Location: São Paulo - Brazil (and no, Blanka isn't my neighbor)
Oh god, thanks so much for this guide! I was trying to do something into ASM but couldn't do anything right from the get go hehe.