Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: ButterflyAI - a WIP Genji AI (please test?)
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:28 am 

Finished fixing all of the issues!

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9yKWDeWb8ubWGY1ZFdCVThBbTQ/view?usp=sharing

Complete changelog:
- Fixed the Sorona stuck bug, it now flutters upwards to waypoints
- Fixed a variety of targeting problems caused by inappropriate use of "remove if not found"
- Now defends turrets better because of solved targeting problems
- Tries to avoid taking droid damage by jumping around while clearing droids
- Finds/targets droids if there are no enemy nauts in the area
- Added hurleybird's pushfix
- Now pushes correctly (doesn't go into state 6 unless there are no droids)
- Uses cocoon and blessing more intelligently (rearranged some trees so that some things would trigger correctly)

I really hope that there are no more bugs, but I fully expect at least twenty to appear

Please report any/all issues you find! :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:00 pm 

Hey trinary! I tested your Bot for 10 matches or something like that on the default difficulty of 60%. First of all: Thank you for your effort and hard work! Your Bot did quite good actually. Just by looking at the stats I got, he was better than some of the other bots. Kill/Death ratio was average or above average in comparison to the other bots in the matches i've played. He also got good droid clearing stats (for the most part also above average). It was a good idea to let him flutter around while clearing droids, cause he receives little damage while doing so.
One thing you should work on is his behaviour when it comes to health-retreat. It seems like he's just leaving for base as soon as his health drops to half – sometimes sooner. He drops everything he does and is sometimes not even buying stuff at base – he just goes there for the health refill. It would be a good idea to let him search for creeps or healthpacks at that state instead, cause he's leaving the battlefield just too much.
If it's possible it would also be good to bind his behaviour of leaving the battlefield to specific situations. For example, if your teams droids attack an unguarded turret and there's no danger, help them push instead of retreating to base. And if the enemy attacks your teams turret just retreat behind the turret and help defending it by spamming storm drum & cocoon instead of teleporting back to base. I think skree does something like that (stands behind turret and spams sawblade from there...). You could make an exception, if there's an enemy coco around, because she could get you behind the turret... I don't know if something like that is possible with the current modding tools or not though....
Also,if he retreats to base he should do that from BEHIND the turret or go to one of the hidden areas and teleport from there. On Aiguillon where the stealth orb and an invisible Leon were around, he often went right in front of our turret with low health and teleported from there. He also used the bottom middle as a teleport spot where enemys could drop down on him.
Like TheMesp already stated, he has some issues with reaching plattforms resulting in him trying to do the same stuff over and over again. I haven't noticed it on Sorona, but I did notice it on Ribbit IV (jungle area) and Station 205. On 205 he took the jumppad and tried to flutter on one of the plattforms. He failed, tried again and went back all the way down to the jumppad at one point to do the whole thing all over again – repeatedly. At one point he stepped aside to the direction of the turret and teleported back to base. → So in the end he did a whole lot of nothing for nothing... I think I saw Penny have a similar problem with the plattforms on 205 btw...
He also has issues with Yuris mines. Saw him a couple of times jumping right into them resulting in his death. Maybe more fluttering to stay of the ground could be of help here (if he's unable to detect the mines). Also if there is a Yuri on the enemy team on Ribbit IV don't use the jumppad in the middle as much and let him take the safer route through the jungle area instead when switching lanes.

Other odd behaviour I saw:
-on Sorona he went to the enemy base by himself. The base was not guarded at the moment and instead of attacking it he did absolutely nothing – stood right in front of it and waited for something to happen.
- He also decided to leave me alone in enemy territory and to teleport back to base with nearly full health for really no reason – he didn't buy anything....
- on Aiguillon:
- there was a teamfight – him and another bot against two enemy bots. He suddenly
stopped what he was doing, turned his back on the enemy & just stood there while in
danger.
- between the first and the second bottom turret: enemy droids fighting our droids right in
front of the step to the last turret. He jumps up, lands in front of them, jumps up, lands
in front of them....without attacking or doing anything else.
- he tryed to use the enemy jumppad, failed, fluttered, stands still, does nothing while
standing in Yuris Bubble.
- tryed to use jumppad, hits the ceiling with his head instead – repeats behaviour till
something else comes up...
- takes our jumppad and goes up, comes down in the mittle, goes up, comes down...
repeats till he finds something to do.

As far as I can tell from the matches I've played this is the build you're using at the moment:

http://nautsbuilder.com/#Genji_the_Poll ... -11-6-23-6
what comes after prefab cocoon? None of my matches lasted that long...

I have some suggestions for your current build/ build order. When you upgrade cocoon, use lifesteal 1- slow – lifesteal 2 (or maybe even both stages of lifesteal and than slow). Dealing damage while gaining health should come befor slow. You can also use slow as an optional upgrade that way → If your team is currently winning – use slow, and if your team is currently loosing - exchange slow for the hummingbird upgrade to take away pushpower from the enemy team and add pushpower to your own team.
I would also suggest to take both stages of Spiritual Cooking + one stage of the Cat Pillar after the Speed upgrade on Blessing (currently you have 1 stage of health and 3 Stages of cat pillar). That way your whole team is getting a permanent health upgrade of 300, which should be good at that stage of the game and of more use than the little health upgrade for yourself and the temporarily 300 boost (which he would have to activate in specific situations to be of use). It would also be a bit cheaper that way (540 / 580).
I would also switch basic cocoon and thePraying Beads in the build order, so that he'll be able to defend himself or flee if he's at a disadvantage. But that one is just preference I guess...

All in all a fine bot with some issues. Hope I could be of any help (really haven't a clue about modding and what's possible and whats not). Hope to see him added in one of the next patches. Thanks again for your work and have fun with the further developing.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:38 am 

Thank you so much for taking the time to test it and write up all of these things! I'm definitely going to work on these bugs and issues and try to improve it thanks to all of your feedback. I haven't experienced most of them myself, so it's good that someone else found them before anything serious happened.

After Prefab, it will then get the extra shield on Blessing, more Pills, and Slow.

Good points about the lifesteal/slow order, I'm going to switch them around. I'm not going to include Spiritual Cooking, though, if only because in most situations I find that 40% shield is more effective at helping people survive than an extra 300 empty health. I will tweak it a bit so that it gets cocoon earlier (at the moment it only gets cocoon on drop if there s a Clunk).

Once again, thank you for taking the time to test it! It's people like you who help to improve the bot.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:02 am 

You're welcome! Yeah, the extra shield on Blessing is understandable. During the time I mained Genji I always took it myself and I think I actually never used Spiritual Cooking :-) It just came to mind, because of the 10 matches I played he never actually got to the point in the build order where he would buy the shield (at least I think he didn't...). But like I said, it was just something I had in my mind. Your bot did good with his build - got a good couple of killing sprees with it :-)

Post subject: Re: [SUBMISSION] ButterflyAI - a WIP Genji AI (please test?)
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:55 am 

Fixed more issues!
Updated it a bit for Nibbs and Scoop, and optimized some of its Cocoon logic as well.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ipMxtE1awwanZvNnQ2R0tGNmc/view?usp=sharing

Changelog:
- Now defends turrets (even better) because of solved targeting problems
- Finds/targets droids if there are no enemy nauts in the area, else, will attempt to find/stay with allies
- Now pushes correctly and slightly more safely (doesn't go into state 6 unless there are no droids)
- Uses cocoon and blessing more intelligently, reserving in case of potentially dangerous 'nauts.
- Will also cocoon 'nauts that are too close if an ally is around.

I really hope that there are no more bugs, but I fully expect at least another twenty to appear

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:06 pm 

trinary wrote:
Fixed more issues!
Updated it a bit for Nibbs and Scoop, and optimized some of its Cocoon logic as well.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ipMxtE1awwanZvNnQ2R0tGNmc/view?usp=sharing

Changelog:
- Now defends turrets (even better) because of solved targeting problems
- Finds/targets droids if there are no enemy nauts in the area, else, will attempt to find/stay with allies
- Now pushes correctly and slightly more safely (doesn't go into state 6 unless there are no droids)
- Uses cocoon and blessing more intelligently, reserving in case of potentially dangerous 'nauts.
- Will also cocoon 'nauts that are too close if an ally is around.

I really hope that there are no more bugs, but I fully expect at least another twenty to appear

Glad to see you're still working on this! I've an exam I really should be studying for in a few hours, after that I'll give this new version a whirl.

Bots I've made:

[In-Game] Derpl viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35642 :drool:

http://imgur.com/5P0Ais3

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:27 pm 

Alright, I tested both your genji bot and Ignotis's genji at the same time twice, one with your genji on my team and ignotis's on the enemy and vice versa.

Note that all comments unless explicitly stated otherwise are referring to your genji.

AS AN ALLY:

Genji is an AMAZING ally. Genji's cocoons helped set up multiple kills, and genji is an amazing 1v1 brawler. Genji has trouble knowing when a fight is lost, however, and would occasionally get himself killed chasing a low health opponent. Genji feels like the perfect ally to me: won't carry a human to victory but gives the human the ability to win based on ability.

Genji's support in teamfights helped win us the game.

AS AN ENEMY:

Very, very aggressive. This helped genji get a few kills, but it got genji killed more. Sometimes the aggressiveness would catch me off guard, and I paid the price for it, but genji is picking a lot of fights he cant win, especially against low-health enemies by fortified positions, such as turrets. 75% of Genji's deaths could have easily been avoided by just retreating instead of picking the fight.

Genji is an amazing 1v1 brawler. Your genji almost always won 1v1s against Ignotis's genji, and one time I was at full health as skolldir and genji was on his last 2 bars, but genji engaged me and brought me from full to 2 bars left before I finally killed Genji. This engagement showed both genji's amazing 1v1 potential, but also genji's over-aggressiveness getting him killed.

Genji used both his skills, but they were mostly offensive. I don't know if you've done this already, but I would suggest genji using cocoon as an escape as well, rather than just for initiations.

Genji ended up losing the game against me, partially due to his over-aggressiveness but also in part that my skolldir game was on point, none of the bots on genji's team had a respectable k/d.

CONCLUSIONS:

Trinary's Genji is a force to be reckoned with, and I would definitely suggest adding this one into the game.

My only complaint is genji not realizing when a fight is lost, and genji needs to retreat. My suggestion would be to have genji check if there are enemies around his target that have lots of health, and then retreat. However, BE CAREFUL! Test EXTENSIVELY any fix you come up for this, as it might upset the balance that makes this bot so good.

as well, genji doesn't use monarch blessing much. I saw it occasionally, but perhaps up the frequency when Genji would use this. This is a minor complaint though.

OVERALL RATING: 9/10
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Bots I've made:

[In-Game] Derpl viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35642 :drool:

http://imgur.com/5P0Ais3

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:43 pm 

This Genji bot is incredible. He does very well in fights; his cocoon aiming is precise and has led to many kills, and he knows to use his Monarch Blessing when he's in danger or if his teammates are nearby.

He's not without his problems though. Genji is very, very aggressive when it comes to fighting. So much to the point where he doesn't think to retreat when he's in danger, which more often than not leads to his death, even if he does get a kill in the end. This causes him to have a high number of kills, but an equally high number of deaths as well.

When it comes to bugs or oddities, Genji doesn't have that many that I've seen so far. There was one occasion on AI Station 404 where another bot and I were attacking the first turret. The enemy Genji wasn't sure what to do and started spazzing out before he decided to teleport to base. I also noticed while watching a replay that a Genji bot used Monarch Blessing while at base for no particular reason. Aside from that, he functions really well.

Overall, ButterflyAI has a lot of potential. If his aggression is toned down a bit and he starts to retreat when he's low on health, then I'd say he has a good chance of making it into the game. Well done. :thumb:

In-Training: :ix: :party: :worship:
Alpha Z wrote:
zeg685 wrote:
what's outside?

Everything. Yet at the same time, absolutely nothing.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:18 am 

He's awesome. Simply awesome. I love the fact that he's aggressive -- if he manages to kill a player it's more than worth an extra death. That he's so good at brawling makes him a great bot to practice with.

It feels like his solar gain might be a bit high compared to other bots, but it's hard to tell with bank.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:13 am 

I had a look at your code. This bot is simply excellent. You clearly put a lot of effort into him and took the best tips from the best bots. More than any other, I can say that ButterflyAI deserves to get into the game.

EDIT: Looks like "Why won't you push?" has a check for DangerousNaut to be false. However, it is always false, since it is set to false by "Move away from dangerous people."

Veanko wrote:
Ignotis the hedgehog confirmed

STEAM