Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Ask various map editor questions here
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

yolvenzind wrote:
Question

How do we delete maps? Like back in the main menu under the mods section?

Euhm, I think you can only delete them on your hard disc right now.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:12 pm 

Couple of questions.

Custom textures are coming later right? If so, how does it work exactly, like can we make our own material that blends in kind of like how the game's default textures for obstacles works?

Are we gonna be able to place Awesomenauts as objects later? (Like not actual living/working awesomenauts, I meant just as objects/effects.)
Are we going to be able to make custom creeps (like with their own spritesets and all that.) later?
Also what do NamedAreas do?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:11 pm 

About hide area's

So the things you need to do as far as I figured out are:
Place 2 textures on top of eachother (and assign an actual texture to them like the leaves on the example map)

Place a hide area on that and call it [insertnamehere]

Select one of the textures and set influencedName to [insertnamehere]
and change transparencyWhenInfluenced to 10 for instance.

This still isn't working for me though.

I have the feeling it is because the fading texture
lies behind the one who didn't fade. Is there a way to change which texture lies
on back and front?

My steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/yolvenzind

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:54 am 

Hey, I'm having some trouble getting my droids to go in the right direction. I tried the AI for the melee droid, and also the one with the "Up" at the end :derp:
One of the lanes is entirely a glass platform, and halfway across, they decide to drop below the platform. How could I prevent this? Would it take AI programming? Or a slight map revision?

Also I'm trying to make a separate spawn point for droid waves. I put the DroidWaveSpawner where I wanted it, for a total of two on each side, but the droids that are spawning are always blue (on both sides). Is there something I'm missing?
EDIT: Restarting fixed that issue. :tongue:

EDIT #2: Well, I looked at other levels, and figured out that I'm supposed to use named areas, and call them things like "GOUPJUMP", and droids will jump once they've reached that area! For those wondering, "BOTDOWNJUMP", "GOSTOPZERO", "GOSTOPONE", are all different examples of droid pathing.

So I guess I answered my own questions.
:clap:

Thanks! And thanks for this editor! :party:

Check out my Sentry Guide where you will learn about momentum and fly beyond your farthest dreams

RICK AND MORTY 100 TIMES FOREVER DOT COM 100 TIMES WW DOT RICK AND MORTY DOT 100 TIMES FOREVER DOT COM

Last edited by Dolphinflavored1 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:29 am 

Thank you very much Joost!
Also, is there any way to update published levels, or do I have to delete it and republish it again?

Edit: Nevermind I figured out how! I cannot thank you enough Ronimo, you've given me days of messing-around potential.

Sad, sorry mistakes (in video form).

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:16 am 

yolvenzind wrote:
About hide area's

Place 2 textures on top of eachother (and assign an actual texture to them like the leaves on the example map)

lies behind the one who didn't fade. Is there a way to change which texture lies
on back and front?

So I figured out the hide area's in your example lie in GFX Foreground and GFX background.
While when you create a texture it automatically gets in GFX painting or something named like that. My question is how can you move textures to different layers? I found some move object to forground or background buttons on the top menu but those don't seem to do the trick.

My steam

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:52 pm 

yolvenzind wrote:
yolvenzind wrote:
About hide area's

on back and front?

So I figured out the hide area's in your example lie in GFX Foreground and GFX background.
While when you create a texture it automatically gets in GFX painting or something named like that. My question is how can you move textures to different layers? I found some move object to forground or background buttons on the top menu but those don't seem to do the trick.

Again replying to myself. I figured it out but let me write down how as more people might struggle with it. You need to change the depth of the texture. Not with the buttons but in the settings when you select the texture :)

EDIT:
Might as well post this little image guide in here:

My steam

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:53 pm 

You might as well add this to your signature now Yolv, it's really useful and I have no idea how I made it work without depth settings for the first time >.>

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:00 am 

So is there a list of damage setting anywhere? Also is there a way to get turrets activatable by a button?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:56 am 
Ronimo Team Member

NamedAreas are intended to let AI know what it needs to do. So they're used for bots and droids. We'll add full support for custom AIs later this month, so then you'll be able to take full advantage of this, although that is a pretty advanced topic.

Davey made a list of what each NamedArea does for the current droids and bots, you can find it here on the Gamepedia.

It would be great if the Gamepedia could be expanded with a lot of info and tutorials and such, so Yolvs' explanation of how HideAreas work would be great for that. Maybe add it here?

Fireheart wrote:
Also is there a way to get turrets activatable by a button?

Right now you can't activate a turret using a button, but you can make it move away using a button, which might in some cases be a hacky way to achieve the same thing. ;)

Skip wrote:
...Custom textures are coming later right? If so, how does it work exactly, like can we make our own material that blends in kind of like how the game's default textures for obstacles works?

Are we gonna be able to place Awesomenauts as objects later? (Like not actual living/working awesomenauts, I meant just as objects/effects.)
Are we going to be able to make custom creeps (like with their own spritesets and all that.) later? ...

Custom Textures would be great but there's a lot of editor stuff on my list for 3.5 already so I can't promise right now that I'll be able to make that in time. It's high on my wishlist but no promises.

Entirely custom creeps are not planned for 3.5, but you will be able to modify existing characters and creeps using AI, which already allows for a lot of fun stuff. If the modding becomes really successful then it would make sense to add more features to it later on, so maybe custom creeps could become a possibility in the longer term.

Awesomenauts as objects isn't coming because those textures are streamed in only if the Naut is actually in the match. If you would use a Lonestar texture in your map it would only be visible if a Lonestar player were in the map. That would be too buggy.