Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Ask various map editor questions here
 Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:28 pm 

So I finally got to the editor. Pretty simple and intuitive stuff!
But I didn't quite get the texturing technique. So, basically I build the map collision with these blueish textured blocks, then I put texture overlays on top of them. Is this the correct way? I mean the blue stuff acts like a dev_ texture? Or it could be simplyfied for, I dunno, optimisation purposes?
Also some more questions:
- is there a parameter that regulates if the naut/droid will be above the texture or beneath it? (not talking about the hide areas here, just draw order)
- how do I test the map without bots in editor? / Is it possible to test the map in editor with other characters than Lone?

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:03 pm 

ScR wrote:
But I didn't quite get the texturing technique. So, basically I build the map collision with these blueish textured blocks, then I put texture overlays on top of them. Is this the correct way? I mean the blue stuff acts like a dev_ texture? Or it could be simplyfied for, I dunno, optimisation purposes?
- is there a parameter that regulates if the naut/droid will be above the texture or beneath it? (not talking about the hide areas here, just draw order)
- how do I test the map without bots in editor? / Is it possible to test the map in editor with other characters than Lone?

-Depth, higher numbers are drawn behind, negative numbers are ahead I believe.
-Make it a mod with a no bot preset. Then you'll load it up with the mod.

Also save every 90 seconds, and you can totally turn off the textures in the gear thing on the left.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:16 am 

ScR wrote:

the 'blueish textured blocks' are the default procedural texturing; its designed to not technically need textures as they are procedurally generated. if you want something less ugly, you can press the gear Image to turn this off (a checkbox for enable procedural level art) and, as you said, overlay them with textures.

like uio said, depth controls draw order; more negative = more in front.

to test without bots, simply make a new custom game setting with bots disabled (i.e. host a custom lobby, change the settings, then save it) and select this when loading the map for editing. protip: if you create a mod with the map and the settings, then the settings will be auto-selected when you press 'edit map' (also creating a mod doesn't auto-publish fyi).

to edit as someone else than lonestar, just make an affect area and on the second page of its settings you can see an option for changing a characters class when they enter it

also, don't get too carried away with texturing stuff until youre satisfied with the underlying geometry(obstacles) as you can waste a lot of time getting stuff to look right only to have to move it

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:14 am 

Also, when I'm texturing I like to make groups of textures and just paste them around, slightly editing it while I copy it to make it fit better and make it less boring.