Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: Ask various map editor questions here
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:15 pm 

Thanks a ton yole for the guide on hidden areas. Helped me out a lot!

I have a few questions regarding the future of map editor:

Will we ever receive "programmable" features of a sort to make maps much more unique-able? Would this be impossible in the current engine? Like, being able to create our own gimmicks. Stuff such as:
"if I activate this, I want this area of the map to rotate 90 degrees at X speed"
"I want a pickup that cycles through 3 different power ups when it is activated"
"when I activate this button, these two walls close for X seconds" or
"when there are 2 or more awesomenauts in this area, do X"
Adding to this, the ability to make timers which make a map event happen every X seconds. Stealth orb already exists in the sense of pickup events, but I'd like something like "every 15s, this part of the map rotates"

Are any of the above actually possible in some hacky ways?

Will we ever get non-square geometry in the future of awesomenauts? For example I think a slope would be much nicer for sorona's bottom lane than the steps it currently has.

We can make moving objects, but is it possible to make constantly rotating objects?

Is it possible to link two objects to behave the same? What I mean by this is that I want to have an L shaped hiding area, but the only way for me to achieve this is by making two different square hiding areas which behave independently of each other.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:20 am 

Sam! wrote:
"when I activate this button, these two walls close for X seconds" or

Are any of the above actually possible in some hacky ways?

You can spawn a creep when you press a button that walk and push a button for x time

That's a bit hacky but it should do what you want. I think it's also possible to kill the creep to reset the "timer"

Replay finder

More tools here!

:tongue: :party:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:44 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Support for the AI editor will be added in one of the beta for 3.5 and then you'll be able to do a lot of weird stuff by having a controlling AI somewhere in a corner of the map where the player can't reach him.

Slopes and diagonal platforms are not planned right now because it's a lot of work: a lof of our skills aren't able to handle slopes, like dash for example.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:56 pm 

Is there a way to switch characters in editor? I seem to remember hearing that you could do this.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:29 pm 

BurkusCat wrote:
Is there a way to switch characters in editor? I seem to remember hearing that you could do this.

Thanks!

Not yet! But it's planned.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:34 am 

Is there an easy way of changing the background? Simple question I know but can't seem to do anything without overlaying a MASSIVE texture on the whole map.

When exploring maps already in game like ribbit, sorona etc I find transparent boxes everywhere, such as this object:
What's the purpose of these? Are they safe to delete forever if you're making changes to maps?

How can I make healthpacks hidden inside hidden areas? No matter what depth I use for the overlaying texture, they seem to show through.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:20 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Those big blocks in the level are arena walls: they are only active when playing a mode like deathmatch. Through these a single map can be used for several game modes.

The standard background can be enabled/disabled in the LevelConfiguration object (the cogwheel button). Making backgrounds yourself is a lot of work since a background is generally a combination of a lot of layered objects with depth and such. For a quicker and easier approach to backgrounds, have a look at how Olivier made the backgrounds in the AwesomeCube map: they look pretty neat and weren't that much work. The key thing when making backgrounds is to use Texture and Animation objects and to give them positive parallax, so that they are truly further away than the playground. Also, recolouring Textures by setting the colourCombineMode to MULTIPLY and tweaking the colour is key to making backgrounds look good.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:38 pm 

Thanks for the info!

Does that mean the finished maps in the game are way way more messy in their final graphics versions? I tried overlaying a few graphics to get away from the base tileset and oh my gosh it was so much work and I had like 10 overlapping squares which made editing very annoying. I could set each obstacle to use a specific texture but when trying to edit an already existing map with textures it doesn't work out very well. I'm getting the feeling that you really need to decide what textures you're going to use BEFORE constructing a map to get good looking results - editing an already finished design doesn't work.

Are your finished maps generally littered with hundreds of textures on top of obstacles or do you prefer to use textures themselves on obstacles?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

The maps you get when you copy them are indeed stripped. The original maps have huge numbers of graphics objects. For example, Ribbit has around 2000 graphics objects, and that excludes the static level art, which is half the work. There's a reason making an Awesomenauts map takes us so long! :LeonWink: It pays off though: our backgrounds are really rich in detail, depth and animation.

Good art is so much work that we've put a lot of effort into a tileset for the map editor, since we expect most modders won't have the patience to place art by hand.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:05 pm 

That's really insightful, I can see why they take ages now. I mean it's very very simple to create mechanics and a general map layout, you can probably get 5 done in a work week between a couple of people, but that art must take forever to do - makes sense why your artist-coder ratio is really high. Due to the extreme amount of work involved in graphics I don't think even one fully custom graphics-made map with the intention of being put into the main game will be made - do you think create-a-map competitions will be held and then ronimo take over the graphics side of things? If we make edits to current maps that are generally accepted to be good changes, can these be changed in game too? (hinting at aig changes)

Post new topic Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next