Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:15 am 

How do I make DDS files with MS Paint?

Post subject: Re: Features coming in 3.5 beta 3
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:33 pm 

Wakkabanana wrote:
How do I make DDS files with MS Paint?

no idea if that's possible, but this works for photoshop:

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

(there may be easier ways nowadays been awhile since i've had to use the format)

also a few texture resources if anyone is interested (tho a bit too real for awesomenauts):
http://mayang.com/textures/index.htm
http://www.textures.com/

Keep forgetting to look for patch notes in other subforum...

Post subject: Further Help Needed with Custom Textures
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 pm 

Greetings fellow Awesomenaut fans,

Wabtfan here, trying to be brief for your reading convenience. Being able to import one's own custom textures into the map editor has got me excited, now the possibilities really are endless! :redcheer: I understand about 2.6 of the requirements below for getting things to work. Can someone help me by explaining a few things? :huh:

Quote:
NEW: Textures in mods
You can now add custom textures to your mods!
(1) To add a texture, save it in the Textures folder of your mod.
(2) Modded textures will appear in the texture browser with “(mod)” in front of their name.
(3) Only DDS files are supported. Requirements are that they don’t have mipmaps, that the texture resolution is a multiple of 4 and that the texture is saved as DXT1 or DXT5.

First off, I fail to comprehend how one can save something as a DDS and DXT5 at once. :blabl: Secondly, what software is needed for this whole process of converting to DDS / DXT5 anyway? I have Krita, a very nice applicaiton similar to Photoshop or GIMP, though it can't seem to export as either of the specified file types. If it could be revealed to me what the developers do, I wouldn't be so lost in confusion. :chucho: Just FYI for those of you who'd like to help, I'm a visual person, so type as though explaining to ... I dunno, Ted McPain, he's not too bright. :tear:

Post subject: Re: Further Help Needed with Custom Textures
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:26 pm 

Wabtfan wrote:
Greetings fellow Awesomenaut fans,

Wabtfan here, trying to be brief for your reading convenience. Being able to import one's own custom textures into the map editor has got me excited, now the possibilities really are endless! :redcheer: I understand about 2.6 of the requirements below for getting things to work. Can someone help me by explaining a few things? :huh:

Quote:
NEW: Textures in mods
You can now add custom textures to your mods!
(1) To add a texture, save it in the Textures folder of your mod.
(2) Modded textures will appear in the texture browser with “(mod)” in front of their name.
(3) Only DDS files are supported. Requirements are that they don’t have mipmaps, that the texture resolution is a multiple of 4 and that the texture is saved as DXT1 or DXT5.

First off, I fail to comprehend how one can save something as a DDS and DXT5 at once. :blabl: Secondly, what software is needed for this whole process of converting to DDS / DXT5 anyway? I have Krita, a very nice applicaiton similar to Photoshop or GIMP, though it can't seem to export as either of the specified file types. If it could be revealed to me what the developers do, I wouldn't be so lost in confusion. :chucho: Just FYI for those of you who'd like to help, I'm a visual person, so type as though explaining to ... I dunno, Ted McPain, he's not too bright. :tear:

I believe DXT1/DXT5 is not a file format, but a type of DDS file. Like how you can save 8bit, 24 bit and 32 bit (alpha channel) pngs

Post subject: Re: Features coming in 3.5 beta 3
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:26 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Indeed, the name of the file is .DDS and inside the file is a DXT1 or a DXT5. DDS has a lot of options that you can choose and only these two work. Same for disabling mipmapping: that's an option when you save as DDS.

There are many tools for saving as DDS. Mose useful are plugins for image editing tools like Photoshop and Gimp. One entirely free way is to download Gimp and then download the DDS plugin for Gimp.