Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers

Post subject: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:37 am 

It looks like workers automatically mine gold from the first gold mine they see. But why would you need more than one mine? It seems your workers, by some arbitrary designation, pass by the first mine to go to the second. What determines this? And does having more than one mind actually get you more gold? Or is it simply to make sure your 10 workers don't wander off into battle?

Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am 
Ronimo Team Member

There can only be 1 worker in 1 mine at any time (workers stay in the mine for a short duration)... workers will always choose to mine from the most nearby mine. Only if that mine is permanently occupied, a worker will move on to the next mine. It's pretty transparant and predictable once you get to play with it.

On most of the maps, your first mine is easier to defend, so it can be wise to build just enough workers for that mine in early-game situations. Later on, once you can field a decent defensive force, you can get some additional workers to mine a second mine.

currently working on:
UI, daily missions, brawls

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm 

It's important 2 think forward and U can't build unlimited miners, workers and the rest in 1 row, there is always a max of them in the field till they get killed, then U can make new 1 again.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:42 pm 

olivier wrote:
There can only be 1 worker in 1 mine at any time (workers stay in the mine for a short duration)... workers will always choose to mine from the most nearby mine. Only if that mine is permanently occupied, a worker will move on to the next mine. It's pretty transparant and predictable once you get to play with it.

On most of the maps, your first mine is easier to defend, so it can be wise to build just enough workers for that mine in early-game situations. Later on, once you can field a decent defensive force, you can get some additional workers to mine a second mine.

Ah, i see.

Why then are there mines out in the middle of the map? Is that just to make sure if a worker slips out they'll return to you eventually without walking all the way to the enemy?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:48 pm 

That's right, ckm2002. Or get killed be4 they get back :-P

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

ckm2002 wrote:
Why then are there mines out in the middle of the map? Is that just to make sure if a worker slips out they'll return to you eventually without walking all the way to the enemy?

On most maps your first goldmine is really nearby... the second one depends on the map you are playing on... on small maps the second goldmine is usually closer to the center of the map than it would be on a large map. Also you're probably never gonna mine from more than two mines at the same time, since the amount of workers you can have at a time is capped at 10.

Campaign maps are a little bit more out of the ordinary so you'll probably see some more differentiation and out-of-whack-mine placement there. Anyway, you should never ever have to worry about workers straying off, walking into your enemies base.

The mining mechanic has undergone a lot of changes during development and I personally feel the way it works now is really robust, though I'd love to hear how you guys think about it when the game hits WiiWare!

currently working on:
UI, daily missions, brawls

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:06 pm 

olivier wrote:
though I'd love to hear how you guys think about it when the game hits WiiWare!

Let it hit, let it soon, haha :P

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:46 pm 

The idea of getting money from a Gold Mine is cool. Its sort of like Age of Empires (PC Game), you gather Gold and other useful things (like wood, stone, and food) to make your Units. I just like the idea of Gold Mines (I'm not completely sure why). :D

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:16 am 

Axelord04 wrote:
The idea of getting money from a Gold Mine is cool. Its sort of like Age of Empires (PC Game), you gather Gold and other useful things (like wood, stone, and food) to make your Units. I just like the idea of Gold Mines (I'm not completely sure why). :D

Gold is all those things the aztecs build with gold(STONE/WOOD) and rich people eat gold(food) :mrgreen:

|-----|
-------

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:10 pm 

Sporeking wrote:
Axelord04 wrote:

Gold is all those things the aztecs build with gold(STONE/WOOD) and rich people eat gold(food) :mrgreen:

Ya...ok sure, lets go with that. :?