Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Swords & Soldiers



Post new topic Reply to topic

Author Message
 Post subject: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:42 am
Posts: 45
It looks like workers automatically mine gold from the first gold mine they see. But why would you need more than one mine? It seems your workers, by some arbitrary designation, pass by the first mine to go to the second. What determines this? And does having more than one mind actually get you more gold? Or is it simply to make sure your 10 workers don't wander off into battle?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am 
Offline
Ronimo Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 311
There can only be 1 worker in 1 mine at any time (workers stay in the mine for a short duration)... workers will always choose to mine from the most nearby mine. Only if that mine is permanently occupied, a worker will move on to the next mine. It's pretty transparant and predictable once you get to play with it.

On most of the maps, your first mine is easier to defend, so it can be wise to build just enough workers for that mine in early-game situations. Later on, once you can field a decent defensive force, you can get some additional workers to mine a second mine.

_________________
Bad (and probably mildly offensive) french/german accent voice actor

currently working on:
UI, daily missions, brawls


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 pm
Posts: 312
Location: Rotterdam - The Netherlands
It's important 2 think forward and U can't build unlimited miners, workers and the rest in 1 row, there is always a max of them in the field till they get killed, then U can make new 1 again.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:42 am
Posts: 45
olivier wrote:
There can only be 1 worker in 1 mine at any time (workers stay in the mine for a short duration)... workers will always choose to mine from the most nearby mine. Only if that mine is permanently occupied, a worker will move on to the next mine. It's pretty transparant and predictable once you get to play with it.

On most of the maps, your first mine is easier to defend, so it can be wise to build just enough workers for that mine in early-game situations. Later on, once you can field a decent defensive force, you can get some additional workers to mine a second mine.


Ah, i see.

Why then are there mines out in the middle of the map? Is that just to make sure if a worker slips out they'll return to you eventually without walking all the way to the enemy?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 pm
Posts: 312
Location: Rotterdam - The Netherlands
That's right, ckm2002. Or get killed be4 they get back :-P


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 pm 
Offline
Ronimo Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 311
ckm2002 wrote:
Why then are there mines out in the middle of the map? Is that just to make sure if a worker slips out they'll return to you eventually without walking all the way to the enemy?


On most maps your first goldmine is really nearby... the second one depends on the map you are playing on... on small maps the second goldmine is usually closer to the center of the map than it would be on a large map. Also you're probably never gonna mine from more than two mines at the same time, since the amount of workers you can have at a time is capped at 10.

Campaign maps are a little bit more out of the ordinary so you'll probably see some more differentiation and out-of-whack-mine placement there. Anyway, you should never ever have to worry about workers straying off, walking into your enemies base.

The mining mechanic has undergone a lot of changes during development and I personally feel the way it works now is really robust, though I'd love to hear how you guys think about it when the game hits WiiWare!

_________________
Bad (and probably mildly offensive) french/german accent voice actor

currently working on:
UI, daily missions, brawls


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 pm
Posts: 312
Location: Rotterdam - The Netherlands
olivier wrote:
though I'd love to hear how you guys think about it when the game hits WiiWare!


Let it hit, let it soon, haha :P


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 5:45 pm
Posts: 77
Location: United States
The idea of getting money from a Gold Mine is cool. Its sort of like Age of Empires (PC Game), you gather Gold and other useful things (like wood, stone, and food) to make your Units. I just like the idea of Gold Mines (I'm not completely sure why). :D

_________________
Swords and Soldiers Rules! ^_^


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 11:27 pm
Posts: 60
Axelord04 wrote:
The idea of getting money from a Gold Mine is cool. Its sort of like Age of Empires (PC Game), you gather Gold and other useful things (like wood, stone, and food) to make your Units. I just like the idea of Gold Mines (I'm not completely sure why). :D

Gold is all those things the aztecs build with gold(STONE/WOOD) and rich people eat gold(food) :mrgreen:

_________________
/---------\
/-----------\
|--\ /| Mushrooms Are AlWaYs W@CH1nG
|-----|
-------


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gold Mines?
 Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 5:45 pm
Posts: 77
Location: United States
Sporeking wrote:
Axelord04 wrote:
The idea of getting money from a Gold Mine is cool. Its sort of like Age of Empires (PC Game), you gather Gold and other useful things (like wood, stone, and food) to make your Units. I just like the idea of Gold Mines (I'm not completely sure why). :D

Gold is all those things the aztecs build with gold(STONE/WOOD) and rich people eat gold(food) :mrgreen:


Ya...ok sure, lets go with that. :?

_________________
Swords and Soldiers Rules! ^_^


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic