Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Coming in 2.13: an XP system!
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:00 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

For the upcoming update we've been working on a massive new gameplay feature for Awesomenauts: an XP (experience points) system! Since the launch of the game we've always had a single system for improving characters during a match: buying upgrades. After iterating on this system for years, we feel we can take the game even further by adding an XP system.

The new system works as follows: if an enemy turret, Awesomenaut or droid/critter goes down, your team gets XP. If it's a turret or your kill, you will always get XP. All other situations require proximity of within about a screen in distance. Awesomenaut kills and turret destruction give a lot more XP than killing droids or critters. How much XP you get for killing an Awesomenaut depends on their team level.

Once a certain threshold is reached, your team will level up! Each level requires more XP than the last. When you level up, your health and damage will increase (additively) by a set percentage. To compensate, all damage and health upgrades have been adjusted.

While the game will play almost exactly the same way you know and love, the flow of battle will change in various subtle but significant ways. The system brings a host of improvements to this flow that would be hard, messy or just impossible to achieve through the current single system.

First of all, the increase of your damage output will be much more gradual throughout the match. Right now a lot of players buy their damage upgrades first or very early, which means they reach their maximum damage at about one third of the match. This makes character progress feel lopsided and it makes stalling until the teams reach about the same damage output a valid and often-used tactic.

With the XP system, the increase in damage is more constant from start to finish. This solves both of those problems and makes every phase of the game feel more rewarding. Especially the endgame will improve because the added damage coming from the XP system makes you stronger against droids and turrets, who are unaffected by the XP system. So by the end of the game your character will have a lot easier time exploiting gaps in the enemies' defense. This is another way this update will reduce stalling and overly defensive play.

Secondly, damage items will be less dominant, improving both build variety and build order variety. Damage items will be weaker compared to what they are now, especially during the early game. This makes other items more interesting, comparatively. Damage items will always be viable and strong, but not necessarily the first or even essential items.

Finally, the way comebacks will be achieved will become very different. As mentioned earlier, stalling will become less effective. However, since you get more XP when a higher level opponents gets killed, it will be easier to catch up if you play well. Thus to achieve a comeback you will have to be more proactive. For the team that's ahead it's the other way around. Getting kills will become less rewarding, stimulating them to push more and finish off the game instead of farming the enemy team.

We've already playtested the system internally, and invited local community members to take a hard look at it. The response so far has been very positive, and we're very excited about the potential this system has for the game!

Let us know if you have any questions!

Post subject: Re: Coming in 2.13: an XP system!
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:14 pm 

Jasper wrote:

I have one - what gave you guys this idea?

Just wondering, is it inspired by some other game? Or maybe you just came up with it one day out of nowhere?

Other than that, good luck! Seriously, good luck, I really want this to be good~ :CocoWink:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:20 pm 

I must know, will player spawned entities (such as humming droids, anchor and bull) be affected by the levels?

My super edgy backstory (Do-nut Steal! :fist:)

God, I've really screwed up haven't I? No hard feelings y'all

Steam

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:23 pm 

Will players have their own levels, or is it just one level for the whole team?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm 

Unlucky_Charms wrote:
I must know, will player spawned entities (such as humming droids, anchor and bull) be affected by the levels?

Doubt it, it would just nerf those type of characters in a wrong way or/and it would be completely unnecessary nerf.

HarryButchers wrote:
ColossalDonut5 wrote:
HarryButchers wrote:
Steam Achievement Manager.

Are we saying no to it?

We should!

Emo Chapington wrote:
You are all that is wrong with this world.

yolvenzind wrote:
You have always been truly handsome

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:36 pm 

Say no to SAM wrote:
Unlucky_Charms wrote:

Doubt it, it would just nerf those type of characters in a wrong way or/and it would be completely unnecessary nerf.

Wouldn't it be a good thing to have them affected by levels? Otherwise you could take out a bull with a single missile late game

My super edgy backstory (Do-nut Steal! :fist:)

God, I've really screwed up haven't I? No hard feelings y'all

Steam

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:47 pm 

Unlucky_Charms wrote:
Say no to SAM wrote:
Unlucky_Charms wrote:

Wouldn't it be a good thing to have them affected by levels? Otherwise you could take out a bull with a single missile late game

Oh, that is what you meant, I thought that you were asking if they would give xp as well. Anyways, my guess that they would be affected by it.

HarryButchers wrote:
ColossalDonut5 wrote:
HarryButchers wrote:
Steam Achievement Manager.

Are we saying no to it?

We should!

Emo Chapington wrote:
You are all that is wrong with this world.

yolvenzind wrote:
You have always been truly handsome

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:50 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Popcioslav wrote:
Jasper wrote:

I have one - what gave you guys this idea?

Just wondering, is it inspired by some other game? Or maybe you just came up with it one day out of nowhere?

Other than that, good luck! Seriously, good luck, I really want this to be good~ :CocoWink:

We've been considering an xp and levelling system since the beginning, but we've always resisted because we liked the elegance of having a single system.

In the end we realized that some issues could not be fixed through this single system however. And since the team working on the game is now a lot bigger we felt now would be the right time to implement it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:51 pm 

Do you guys have a timeframe how long the beta will run and how frequent will you push update containing fixes/balance improvements?

Niko wrote:
the same points are being repeated ad infinitum

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:53 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Unlucky_Charms wrote:
Say no to SAM wrote:
Unlucky_Charms wrote:

Summons give no XP, but do scale in HP and damage. Summons based on droid don't scale through the XP system though, they still use the same time-based levelling as the droids.