Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: It ends not with a bang, but a very, very slow whimper..
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:33 pm 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
So, like the Yogscast, for example?

The absolute prime moment for them to catapult Awesomenauts back into people's relative awareness, destroyed because of the game's unfun, unskippable tutorial.

Oh, that went well. I can't wait for another three of those to pop up on Twitch.

I think there might be an underlying playerbase retention problem (as evidenced by literally every free weekend ever) stopping marketing from having much of an effect. It might be wiser to gum up the leaky bucket before you pour more water into it, don't you think?

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 pm 

I mean I agree that the tutorial needs to be fixed sure. Thankfully that's a small and easily fixable thing plus it also used to be an option, but they removed it and nobody seemed to care which is why it's the way it is to they just basically need to tick a box to make it skippable again. I don't think that this game is unmarketable it just needs a couple more tweaks in the right places and it could catch an audience again.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:02 am 

Morrowsaw wrote:
I mean I agree that the tutorial needs to be fixed sure. Thankfully that's a small and easily fixable thing plus it also used to be an option, but they removed it and nobody seemed to care which is why it's the way it is [...]

Lol yes to easily fixable...as to nobody caring thats entirely false and people have been complaining since they found out the situation. 'Why its the way it is' is because joost didnt believe people when they told him it is literally retarded ... 'metrics' ...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 am 

Location: In the fantastical realm of Fan-Made Creations—please do not tap on the glass: it startles us.
Also, while fixing the tutorial would make the problem go away, it's not going to retroactively change the Yogscast review.

Ronimo do things backwards—they introduce a thing and then make it compatable. See the F2P release for that situation. The game's matchmaking didn't hold up for the comparatively small influx of players before the big release, but instead of doing something about it, we just went F2P and then tried to fix the issue.

Turns out that's not a good idea.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 am 

stev wrote:
Morrowsaw wrote:
I mean I agree that the tutorial needs to be fixed sure. Thankfully that's a small and easily fixable thing plus it also used to be an option, but they removed it and nobody seemed to care which is why it's the way it is [...]

Lol yes to easily fixable...as to nobody caring thats entirely false and people have been complaining since they found out the situation. 'Why its the way it is' is because joost didnt believe people when they told him it is literally retarded ... 'metrics' ...

Yeah, but *when* people found out is the keyword. The majority of players didn't know until that incident. We'll have to see if Ronimo changes it since it is seemingly low on their priority list which I hope is changed now that we're more likely to have smaller patches with less "BIG" things like characters.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 am 

For long time goals to keep players, game needs better leaderboard system and league reset system... This is the area the game has always needed improvement imho. Once you are stuck to your position you just stay there and play with the same people again and again and not really see anything in the horizon to "fight for".

Free to play players do have awesomepoints and nauts to unlock though, but cant say how many of them fight until they have all the nauts though.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am 

For me, the writing was on the wall when Ronimo made plans for new matchmaking, spent TWENTY EIGHT MONTHS in development[1][2] and yet still left us with a game with a split personality: one that wants to appeal to both casual AND competitive audiences and yet one still based on the limits of the tired and dated network architecture that is peer to peer networking.

For whatever reason, Ronimo never made the needed internal growth necessary to develop Awesomenauts into anything more than an indie game with limited appeal and frustratingly, an extremely small new player retention. It's almost like the studio stubbornly refused to grow and expand to a level that could properly grow and maintain the Awesomenauts brand and just wanted to stay a small indie company.

For example, work could have been made to move Awesomenuts to dedicated servers during the 28 month development of Galactron. Coming off a successful Kickstarter with Starstorm in 2013, Ronimo could have easily leveraged another Kickstarter in say, 2015 to help offset the expenses of moving to dedicated servers and hire a small coding/networking team. Hell, Ronimo had plenty of offers to help make this needed change to grow Awesomenauts. [3]

A quick look at the stigma For Honor received for their peer to peer architecture in 2017 should shed light on how implementing P2P in this day and age is akin to tying an anchor to any multiplayer game intending to sell to an international audience and watch it slowly sink.

In short, the vision needed to sustain Awesomenauts to reach it's full potential was too small and will eventually extinguish a great game.
[3]https://kbmaster.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/NAUTW/pages/15335429/Awesomenauts+-+Dedicated+Servers