Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Smurfing yay or nay?
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:15 am 

In general Ive been against smurfing, as it gives unfair matches to the new players and generally is not fun for anyone (except if you enjoy the salty noob tears you evil person, you :GnawCry: ). And in worst cases might make some new players just quit out of frustration, thinking that the game is way too hard for them.

Yet during new year vacation, I made a smurf account myself since I had only a laptop and no mouse or gamepad. I didnt even bother with the touchpad, so I played only with arrow keys and ctrl-shift-space,lol. Talk about aiming :raehands: ? Anyway, was still very easy of course, since even if my Rae could only shoot straight in front of her, well, new players are new players and cant really defend/push. Max Focus (probably Skree too) was very easy to play, although AA was seriously gimped.

I still use the smurf account sometimes, to play the nauts I am horrible as and never bothered to learn and would only lose every time if I tried against the opponents of my own league. Now I see it quite fair being L3 as those (and L2 as my main account), but I was surprised how long it took to get to even L5-4 from the beginners rating of 6000. I had way over 30 wins streak and was still stuck to humiliate people with rating 10000 and below.

Overall, my opinion about smurfing has changed a bit, and I could see myself using 2 accounts in the future if season resets were made, one for my mains and one for the bad characters. I dont want to make a smurf who starts from 6000 again though, it was silly.

Point of this? No point I guess. :huh:

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post subject: Re: Smurfing yay or nay?
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:56 pm 

I'm okey with it if you don't drop leagues on purpose, if you do what you can with your worst nauts, and you stick with those nauts on your second account, its okey.

Just make sure you keep doing your best, and don't drop leagues on purpose. (mainly for the real smurfers, you aren't one of them since you are L2 and L3).

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:50 am 

I will admit to smurfing but legit only play characters I'm terrible with on the account to better learn them. Gnaw, Yuri, Skolldir, Sentry to name a few that I'm terrible with and want to learn to actually use on my main account without embarrassing myself.

But smurfing and using characters you already know how to play just to stomp people? * move.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 am 

Reint wrote:
I'm okey with it if you don't drop leagues on purpose, if you do what you can with your worst nauts, and you stick with those nauts on your second account, its okey.

Just make sure you keep doing your best, and don't drop leagues on purpose. (mainly for the real smurfers, you aren't one of them since you are L2 and L3).

Yeah of course. If I can rise to L2 with my weak nauts it just means I can use the main account for them too, all the better.

Even if I confess having a practice account (or an account I made for the purpose of not having even a mouse), I am still against other type of smurfing. Like the guy who has like 3 Voltar-only accounts all in top league. Whats the point :voltarroll: ? Just use the one you have or even better use with the other nauts you can do L1 as well. Or today we met some obvious L1 Derpl player who carried us to victory with his 17/1 score. No, I dont say "thanks for carrying us to victory, you rock!" I say "thanks for ruining the game, we were trying to practice here and dont want a L1 smurf solo winning the game for us :rocco: . " ( I didnt actually say anything in the chat, just felt that way)

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 am 

Cpt. Obvious here! Smurfing (on purpose) is bad. Both for your "mad skills" because you don't progress by killing people way too easily, and for those you punish - they will learn nothing at all, only will frustrate about the game being too hard.
But this thing is happening all over the gaming world. In any more or less popular game when you try it, you'll get at least one opponent who is smurfing himself, so the game will be pretty even instead of going "I poop on you, noobs".
As for Awesomenauts, I really don't know how to look on pros "learning" new 'nauts at lower leagues, just because I suck at this game so hard I couldn't smurf even unranked newbies with any char. One thing I don't quite understand is getting to L1 just to stop playing the game (at least solo) to just, I dunno, * on your numbers? And then starting playing on alt acc to get there again and have even more numbers to * on?? Srsly? :aylaroll:

As for myself, I always try to be honorable in games, for no reason at all. That's why I don't play Leon. Yesterday I went 20/1 (17/0 before Gnaw's invis vengeance) in L3 match (the only game of the day where I was somewhat useful... nah, just kidding, our Gnaw won that solo). Can we concider that smurfing taking to account I was playing char I'm sometimes not too bad with and they, obviously, were all learning? TBH killing them after their same silly mistakes became almost unfun. :tongue:

** oh, this word is banned... Why? It's not rude and everybody 12+ knows about this thing :lolstar:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 am 

I don't think smurfing is problematic in the slightest bar smurfs having to be kept at low ratings for so long due to 6000 starting rating and iirc lowered rating gain for etc. amount of matches. Besides top players will be at their actual ranks within 20-80 games on average if they're winning 95% of them which generally speaking they would be.

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:28 am 

Can relate, i've created an alt account to practice a bunch of characters i didn't play at all at the time - that's how i turned Derpl into one of my mains. From what i've seen, a lot of people seem to do it and, as others have mentioned, as long as you're not playing your mains in your alt just so you can stomp new players, it's probably fine (also if you're doing well, you'll end up roughly where you were in your main account so it kinda evens things out in the end).

Having said that, no matter how many alts i come up with, i'll always be a garbage Skolldir. :table:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 pm 

The ranking system does a good job of filtering players to their appropriate skill level.
Even if 95% of players are in League 3.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:21 pm 

it doesnt matter if you play a naut your not good at you still shouldnt. I could make a smurf account and not even use abilities and still stomp l4-l9 because of my knowledge of the game whereas these low hour/ braindead high hour players have hardly any. It would be fine if you got placed faster but you can win your first 50 matchs have 100% winrate and you will still be too low a rank. Thats 50 straight matchs of just destroying new players and you still have more, feels bad if you ask me. However this pretty much is the only way to really learn a new naut besides just tanking your rating.

Last edited by LfGirlfriend on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:25 pm 

Slevens wrote:
I don't think smurfing is problematic in the slightest bar smurfs having to be kept at low ratings for so long due to 6000 starting rating and iirc lowered rating gain for etc. amount of matches. Besides top players will be at their actual ranks within 20-80 games on average if they're winning 95% of them which generally speaking they would be.

not from my experience, it took about 130 with 90% winrate to get top 1000. I did leave a couple where everyone had like 300 ping and i just didnt care enough on an alt to even bother idk if that couldve effected a lot.

Last edited by LfGirlfriend on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.