Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Smurfing yay or nay?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:01 pm 

splitsceen best way to play ranked awesomenauts

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:02 pm 

splitscreen is actually incredibly fun and it's the most underrated, underused feature of the entire game

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:05 pm 

I agree with you two actually.
I've mentioned this only once but yeah, local co-op is the best feature of the game when you are hosting it, even if its annoying in some scenarios.

Also In my case I don't need smurfs. If I want to learn a new naut, I pick that naut and play a couple of soloq matches until I get the hang of them, no questions asked, after all, soloq is a gambling machine.

That's just my way to enjoy the game anyways, and as far as I know, the game doesn't penalise me for enjoying the game, its not like going down the leaderboards is the end of the world. i'm always going down.

Kewn wrote:
Just wanted to bump in here to say this is the greatest thing.

Oil_Rope_bombs wrote:
I think you guys are just bad,

Jas123c wrote:
kathy wrote:
muncher.gif

this is a very serious question, please help :(

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 am 

I wouldn't smurf cause I have over 1.3k random games, don't really give a * if you do just don't drop.

I'm still bad at this game though.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:21 am 

Uhm... I kinda need a smurf account. To play with a friend that is new to the game and he struggles yet to fight L3 and higher players we get wnen duoq (he's still L8). And I can't carry us both because I'm a noob tbh so we end up simply losing every game and he can't learn anything from being stomped over and over again. I also feel bad for our third random teammate, because it's a setup.
Plus I could finally learn Clunk and Genji a bit. As long as I don't play my mains this smurfing will actually be almost fair to other players.

How do I do that? New e-mail and a steam acc, but then what? Do I need a new installation of Awesomenauts? I didn't do this before, I really don't know.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:30 pm 

Nah, you dont need new install. You can just put family sharing On from Steam menu to play all the games on same Pc with different accounts. You can Google Steam Family Sharing for detailed information. You wont be able to use your main account nauts or skins though.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 pm 

IsoKoala wrote:
Nah, you dont need new install. You can just put family sharing On from Steam menu to play all the games on same Pc with different accounts. You can Google Steam Family Sharing for detailed information. You wont be able to use your main account nauts or skins though.

Yay! It's working! Tnx!

4000 more AP and we're good to go! :worship: :chew:

Result:
This went good actually, I can say I saved 1 player from abandoning the game today yet maybe forced a couple to quit!
We ran into a smurf pre the last game tho, they played... well around mid L3 skills and knew how to stick together and stuff so and my friend picked Skoll on 205, I didn't tell him, my bad... Anyway this was pretty fun but also nasty experience.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:50 am 

For the game's overall health, the cons outweigh the benefits. On an individual basis, well... it comes down to how much the smurfer cares about ruining newbies' games. Which is what they're doing, even if they're just trying to learn a new naut.

As Kathy stated, skill in this game is fairly universal. It's not character knowledge that gets you up to L2 or L3, you can get that far just knowing the basics of the game (stick together, push an advantage, etc.). Mid-high L1ers? There's an argument there that trying a new character online will ruin your leaderboard ranking... but try convincing them that the cons outweigh the benefits.

Smurfing is a symptom of a problem more than a problem in and of itself. If veteran players had something to provide them a sense of progression besides the leaderboards, they wouldn't feel the need to take them so seriously. I'm still of the opinion that separating the leaderboards completely from any matchmaking algorithm would do the game a world of good.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:04 am 

Xelrog wrote:
As Kathy stated, skill in this game is fairly universal. It's not character knowledge that gets you up to L2 or L3, you can get that far just knowing the basics of the game (stick together, push an advantage, etc.). Mid-high L1ers? There's an argument there that trying a new character online will ruin your leaderboard ranking... but try convincing them that the cons outweigh the benefits.

I really disagree with that. There are a lot of people in league 2 (some in 1) who don't know the basics of the game at all, like when is a good idea to engage, when to push or actually play with a team, which is where "character knowledge" prevails. Raelynn and Yoolip are some of the most popular picks right now, and often the picks you see from players who are clearly lacking in gamesense, but because they have such a flowchart and safe gameplan they can ride to league 1/2 by getting lucky with allies who carry them. Raelynn has a lot of braindead items like piercing, droid spawner and her boots that just allow you to play bad and get away with it by never being far from your turret and subsequently clearing everything, while getting kills through randomly placed rifts they just threw out there or snipes. Yoolip is the same thing, you press dinos, walk forward, see if you can get a gaze and if it missed, you walk back and wait for cooldowns again.

The extent of this flowchart gameplay means that whenever they try playing another character that has to actually go in to be effective they're often terrible. I had a sentry as my third the other day and I couldn't believe what I was seeing, at ALL TIMES during the game he was in the wrong place, making bad initiations, pushing the wrong areas (when you get a wipe and he doesn't push base instead of a full health turret..), not playing with a team, etc. Yet he won and got points because two league 1s carried him, and so the cycle continues of these players not really learning anything.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:52 pm 

Sam! wrote:
but because they have such a flowchart and safe gameplan they can ride to league 1/2 by getting lucky with allies who carry them.

Sign me up.