Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: The Tutorial is still not skippable
 Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:35 am 

Again: I don't disagree. I'm just saying that the people who only heard about the game because their internet idols were * at it were probably not going to get the game anyways.
I did actually watch some of the Yogscast earlier videos on Awesomenauts and they did say some good things about it. In particular that one Awesomenauts tournament Polaris did when they were promoting that one game design school was actually somewhat interesting to watch.

I don't know why the Yogscast's views on the game changed after it went free to play Alright: confusion. I thought they did a rehash of the game after the F2P update.
If we're talking about them being garbage at the game back in 2012, they were known for being garbage at games they picked up for a quick spotlight, ESPECIALLY back in 2012.
And that video did actually help 'nauts quite a bit. The comments section for the video is all positive comments about the game, and I know that with Simon voicing Skolldir a lot of the Yogscast's fans hopped onto Awesomenauts.

And as for currently with how bad that video is... well it was made in 2012. Again: if you watch a 6 year old video to make your judgements on a constantly updating video game (and don't even bother to check the screenshots to see how the game has changed over the years) then there's really nothing you can do to influence those people. They're blind, and that's their problem.

Regardless, the tutorial not being skippable has nothing to do with the Yogscast being * at games. I do still agree that it shouldn't be forced (people who want to learn the hard way have the right to do so) but there's no major loss from having to do the tutorial.
If Ronimo made steps to make the tutorial quicker and more streamlined that could help to make it feel less tedius. Alternatively they could also make it optional again, but increase the AP rewards for winning. Maybe do what Heroes of the Storm did when they launched their 2.0 update, and let people purchase a character bundle for doing the tutorial.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: :think: #BuffBoiCow Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:59 am 

or maybe set it up so that friends of existing nauts players can skip the tutorials. there's literally zero reason to make IRL friends sit through a half hour tutorial if you're just going to play custom/bot games with them.

as it stands, introducing this game to new players has to be front loaded with stupid apologies about how the tutorial has like 4 unskippable segments and even has you play with complete strangers before it lets you play with IRL friends. :facepalm:

idea: put a hidden stealth area in the first tutorial area that lets them exit the tutorial early.

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:13 pm 

GuyBrush wrote:
Again: I don't disagree. I'm just saying that the people who only heard about the game because their internet idols were * at it were probably not going to get the game anyways.

And you'd be wronger than incredibly wrong. YouTube is how I discover 95% of my games and is probably the single most effective and important form of advertising for modern video games, especially indies. What rock are you living under?

Again, skill was never part of the equation. It's that the YouTubers are playing it at all that matters--the actual game that is, not the tutorial. A video that is entirely, or starts with 20 minutes of, the YTer complaining about the tutorial when both they and the audience are eager to try the game is extremely negative press. Especially since many YTers entertaining these kinds of indie games are just short little dives into them to test the waters.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Xelrog wrote:
And you'd be wronger than incredibly wrong. YouTube is how I discover 95% of my games and is probably the single most effective and important form of advertising for modern video games, especially indies. What rock are you living under?

Not that I think GuyBrush is right, but just because you discover practically all your games on YouTube does not mean that other people do.

I don't, for a start.

This doesn't change the fact that having rachet Claptrap wailing for the first 15 minutes of gameplay isn't the best way to start the Awesomenauts experience, especially for people that already know how to play.

If people want to skip the tutorial, that's on them. Awesomenauts is not complex enough a game to require people to play a tutorial that consists of "get a feel for the same movement controls you're already most likely used before in another game; also, there's no mana, so spam to your heart's content".

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:02 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Not that I think GuyBrush is right, but just because you discover practically all your games on YouTube does not mean that other people do.

I don't, for a start.

You are in a very small minority.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:39 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Probably, although from what I could find, Youtube definitely doesn't seem to be the overwhelming answer (insofar as the world's smallest sample size supports that).

Quora, while absolutely disgusting in every way, also don't really like Youtube outside of the first response.

We'll have to do a poll, although I can see DeezNauts breaking down my door if I use StrawPoll.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:00 pm 

Ok, but explain how Slay the Spire suddenly gained Chinese popularity after the most popular streamer from over there played it. Streamers and youtubers are extremely large marketing tools that inadvertently help games sell well that wouldn’t normally especially with steam being garbage for the visibility of good games nowadays cause there are too many junk games that come out onto steam everyday

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:48 pm 

I don't disagree.

You seem to think I do, but I don't.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:19 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:

Woops missed this part my mistake. Thats what I get for posting inbetween classes. Yeah I agree that it’s definitely not the only source of discovery for games, but it is a pretty major one. Ironically large sales also work as a large marketing tool as well. A game being 90% off usually is more appealing then a free game which is always something interesting to think about. It’s the main way a lot of my friends get their games

Still though youtubers in general bring lots of short term players and if even 5% of them stay with the game that’s a rather large gain for nauts

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:17 pm 

Original topic of thread: "Tutorial isn't skippable."
Content of thread: "Why YouTubers being * at the game is bad for the game." :|

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: :think: #BuffBoiCow Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.