Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: What are your favourite map zones to play?
 Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:01 pm 

Just to separate the two topics.
Design wise SS is obviously the leader here. What about gameplay? Seems like most people like Aigui, but for what exactly? Every official map in Awesomenauts has its pros and cons. The idea here is to define the best parts for an attempt to unite them in a single map.

What are your favourite map zones to play in and why / with what character?

E.g. Sorona's jungle or Aigui bottom lane? What makes this part most pleasant to play? Platforms/jumppads/cheesy tactics, etc.

Post subject: Re: What are your favourite map zones to play?
 Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:47 pm 

Being able to quickly move between both lanes is critical. That's why moving platforms were so complained about for so long, and thankfully finally removed (mostly). Bounce pads are quicker and therefore more fun/satisfying than platforming up/down.

That said, very narrow channels for bounce pads heavily favor trap characters, which makes them annoying. I still think Ribbit's mid channel could stand to be a little wider. Aiguillon has the same problem, but to a lesser degree as there are two bounce pad channels and another viable path up very close to each bounce pad.

Ergo, my two cents: bounce paths are important; wide enough that they can be trapped, but not blocked off completely. Looking at you, Skree. :sleep:

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:50 pm 

I like Aguillon, because its kind of narrow, and nauts are mostly balanced there. Jimmy is a bit strong, but on the other hand its a map where he doesnt need to rely just on his AA. Yoolip also likes the map, his Dinos actually make a threat at the bottom line.

Sorona and AI station on the other hand are my least favourites, because they work so much better with fast nauts over slow ones. Lane clear and pushing gives a big edge, so Lonestar+Rae etc. combos at these is annoying as hell, since you need to kill both to proceed, if both are good players.

Ribbit and Starstorm are close seconds after Aguillon for me. Ribbit a bit behind, because the middle jump can be annoying if enemy has a Derpl/Yuri. Starstorm is hated a lot here, but it actually is my second favourite. Fast speed and fast gimmicks make it fun, and even though some nauts are strong here, no naut is really weak there either. The turrets could be a bit further though, since cheap pushing Lonestars can single handedly clear the first turrets here. But I still like the map, and there is nothing you can say to change my opinion, and you just have to live knowing that there is one person who likes Starstorm.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:37 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
It would be Ribbit IV, if the middle channel weren't so easy to abuse.

I'm also surprised that people seem to like Aiguillon, considering that most members of this community would scalp the Invisibility Orb, given the chance.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:33 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
I'm also surprised that people seem to like Aiguillon, considering that most members of this community would scalp the Invisibility Orb, given the chance.

Over my time here on the forums the consensus I saw seemed to be that it's a well-designed map with a disliked gimmick. That is, the map design is good enough to be most people's favorite despite the orb, not because of it.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:14 am 

I'm just gonna be contrary and say I like the current AI station the most for a person randoming every game, playing in a puddle of tears. The flying droids are a bit annoying but I like the fire, it's warm and cozy.

Aig for me feels like you're trapped, as all three exits from your base from back turrets is close together, if you're losing you feel like you can't really leave, but I feel like you can get places with AI station, going behind them and being instakilled.
ALSO * THE MIDDLE PLATFORMS SO MANY TEAMMATES HAVE DIED CAUSE IT TAKES SOME CHARS LIKE SWIGS AND VOLT TOO LONG TO JUMP UP

My main problem with starstorm is with portals, there's so many ways you can go out of the portals which makes it annoying to chase people who insist on constantly using them. But this me being bad.

Sorona is alright, Ribbit is pretty fun.

For me I'd go AI > Ribbit > Aig > Sorona > Starstorm

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:23 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Xelrog wrote:
Over my time here on the forums the consensus I saw seemed to be that it's a well-designed map with a disliked gimmick. That is, the map design is good enough to be most people's favorite despite the orb, not because of it.

My experience is similar, except with more scalps involved.

The Invisibility Orb is very much a snowball mechanic for the team with the greater map control, and I'm conflicted on its existence. I also play Raelynn and enjoy sniping, so I hate Aiguillon with a passion.

Except when I play Ayla—then I love it. Same with Rocco, because the already-bad-at-dodging just become utterly hopeless and start crying like the squealing pincushions I'm very rapidly turning them into.

Conflicted.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:55 am 

aig is the best map, with or without the orb

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:20 am 

I like sorona's bottom lane the most because the bouncers give you mobility to chase people and it feels so damn good when someone thinks they got away and you execute the perfect maneuver and catch up to them. Bouncers taking you in two different directions based on your influence is one of this game's best designs imo. It's nice when skill is rewarded.

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 am 

Ok I got the basic Idea what it might be. Thanks for participation :thumb:

Unfortunately I can't promise anything because, yknow, RL is a thing, but I'll do my best.