Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Re: Uni survey about player-retention focused on Nauts
 Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:28 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
Through a carefully coordinated series of smoke signals and letter bombs, I've summoned Ronimo to respond.

For some reason I'm sure they don't like the idea of re-writing the game to work with a dedicated server architecure, not to mention bying/leasing the servers.

Although this anonymous data looks much more interesting than the forums. Surprisingly players are interested in some fundamental changes more than in Gnaw nerfs. Who could've thought?! :think:

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
From the discussions I've had with Ronimo, they're well aware of the problems but can't seem to come up with workable answers. I can't blame them for not wanting to rewrite all the netcode for a game with a (let's face it) dwindling playerbase.

Awesomenauts 2, however. Dropping hints like the Blitzkrieg.

The open-form answers are pretty much what we've been saying for some time, and are not particularly surprising.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
I can't blame them for not wanting to rewrite all the netcode for a game with a (let's face it) dwindling playerbase.

This is one of the solutions to stop playerbase decay. But it's F2P, so... Not an option, for sure.

Awesomenauts 2 only sounds cool. Making it real is even more arguable than desecrating the corpse of the existing game.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:40 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Having "better" matchmaking won't instantly swell the playerbase to 10,000 players. Galactron should've driven that particular nail home.

It might help to ease the slow, but there'd need to be a substantial thing after it to actually attract players back/generate increased interest.

That thing could've been F2P, but we've already played that card at a hilariously bad time, so that's off the table. New 'Nauts aren't enough (as the recent... questionable releases have shown), so I can't really think of something big enough to renew interest short of a MvM gamemode like TF2.

We'd be kidding ourselves (more than some people here already are—heads in the sand so deep that they're tunneling to China) if we think that's happening, though.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:03 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Thanks for doing a survey like this and for making the data available - it's super interesting to see the feedback here!

A lot of the frustrations listed and requested changes make a lot of sense, and there are a couple of items I've taken notes on and will raise internally to see if we could make something happen. The scope of those items is generally fairly limited though - I can't just conjure up dedicated servers, but some of the smaller and concrete suggestions are something I can work with.

Some sort of 'Operation: Health' (as I've seen suggested in a different thread) to deal with these issues could be great, but even then a lot of the suggestions that are made in the feedback, or the frustrations that have been identified, are simply beyond the scope of what we can realistically do in Awesomenauts. To tie into a point Lord Protector made earlier in this thread: some of the issues that have been raised are something we can ONLY deal with IF we fundamentally rewrite very significant parts of the game, rather than build on top what we have. Starting with a clean slate, like if we'd ever do a sequel, would put us in a great position to deal with those problems and to dream at a level way beyond the game as we know it today... but that's not the discussion at hand.

Can't wait to hear more about the survey results though, and any conclusions you're able to draw on top of the open-ended questions. Good luck with your research! I really appreciate you making the feedback available :)

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:51 pm 

Robin wrote:
Starting with a clean slate

UE4 based Awesomenauts 2 with 5 (for the start) heroes, new maps/modes and reasonably priced "classic nauts pack" DLCs...

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 pm 

Robin wrote:
...I can't just conjure up dedicated servers...

Robin wrote:
...Starting with a clean slate, like if we'd ever do a sequel, would put us in a great position to deal with those problems and to dream at a level way beyond the game as we know it today...

The answers write themselves.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:55 pm 

On that hypothetical note of an Awesomenauts 2 (or spiritual successor or whatever), whatever engine it's made in, if I can just say one thing...

Please do not make it 2.5-D.

2D animation is a dying art form. I know 3D is easier and more time-efficient, but visual charm is a huge draw for this game and I don't know if I could stand to see it go. :tear: If other 2D MOBA's ever happen (including Hyper Universe), the style is what's going to set Awesomenauts and Ronimo apart. I probably don't have to say this given Ronimo's track record of not resorting to 3D graphics--just want you guys to know I fully support this decision and hope it stays that way.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:19 pm 

I agree.

By being 2D, Awesomenauts brings a new "flavour" of MOBA to the table that, best of all, the other big three can't ever hope to compete with. HotS has daily quests, so Dota steals the idea for the Battle Pass. Dota has custom announcers, so HotS steals that straight back. It's an endless cycle of stealing and implementing (although more charitably called "taking inspiration from"). They all have the players and the money to support that. Hell, Valve could turn Dota into a literal game of chess and they'd still own the eSports market through and through.

Yet, no matter how hard the others try, they can't ever copy the single thing that makes Awesomenauts unique: its 2D nature. It's not physically possible. They can't do it. Build your whole identity around being unique, not what the other MOBAs are already doing.

Ronimo Games is never going to compete successfully with Valve, Riot, nor Blizzard—so don't. Bring something else to the world of MOBAs that will attract players of its own accord. A simple to pick up, easy to play, fifteen-minute affair that you squeeze in between Dota matches. Be the thing that people want to buy, not the thing they can already buy but with fewer bells, a less experienced team, and a much smaller budget. A properly 2D MOBA will always be far more impressive than another generic one.

This is one of the reasons I don't agree with copying mechanics from the other MOBAs.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:55 pm 

2D is the reason I play Awesomenauts. It feels more of an platformer/brawler to me than moba, which feel like RTS with only one unit. For this reason, I dont play any other mobas at all. I gave Dota 2 some 5-10 hours or so, but I didnt enjoy it. The other big ones I dont even bother to try.
Yeah but right, even if the camera stays 2D, I dont want the models to be 3D. But I dont worry about this actually. Ronimo has great 2D artists, why would they suddenly make something out of their field?

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?