Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Awesomenauts Survey results & write ups
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:18 pm 

Hey everyone!

I'm the guy who sent out this survey a while back and said I would share my essay and maybe do a couple of write-ups. After a lot of delays here it is!

Essay: here

The essay is pretty formal and probably contains a lot of information about Nauts that some of you already know, but I think there's some good stuff in there too.

Here is the first of some more casual write-ups written for the community/ronimo: here

edit: excel sheet of data dump. If you want a neater view of the survey results use the first link in the post.

Last edited by Wavie on Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Awesomenauts Survey results & write ups
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:27 pm 

waste of time

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 pm 

LfGirlfriend wrote:
waste of time

Like your post.

OP: Can you summarize the findings? I'm not really interested in reading the whole essay.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:52 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
OP: Can you summarize the findings? I'm not really interested in reading the whole essay.

The essay more or less is a summary of the findings minus some stuff & the write-up topic/s are/will be pretty heavily influenced by the findings. I plan on making a summary sometime in the next couple of weeks.

There is quite a bit of data to sift through, however. Any specific information/topics you (or others here) would be more interested in seeing summarised first?

Until then there is also an excel sheet auto-generated from the survey results, I think together they form a somewhat messy summary hahaha. I'll post a link to the excel sheet soon.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:18 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Interesting stuff.

Is this essay for a module of game design or game theory? It's very narrative.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:59 pm 

Good stuff :) I think you should be careful of your personal bias though. I'm thinking of stuff like:

Quote:
My personal experience while queueing in the Awesomenauts matchmaking system is an
overall negative one. Currently the queue timer ranges from 5 minutes to 7 minutes
depending on the amount of players in queue.

This is not a result from the survey. It is your personal opinion. I'm not saying it's true or false - i'm just saying that out of an essay summarizing a poll, one is expected to find neutral interpretations (or as neutral as possible).

I would say the same about all your paragraphs where you summarize your interviews.

The purist way out of this would have been to include questions to the poll like :
"How do you find the queuing delay?"
"If you live in Australia, how often do you find full matches?"

Then you could have summarized the answers "Most of the Australian who answered this poll said they get a full match only in 1 game out of 2".

But it's very nice to have some stats on this either way, thank you! :thumb:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:30 am 

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Good stuff :) I think you should be careful of your personal bias though. I'm thinking of stuff like:

Quote:
My personal experience while queueing in the Awesomenauts matchmaking system is an
overall negative one. Currently the queue timer ranges from 5 minutes to 7 minutes
depending on the amount of players in queue.

This is not a result from the survey. It is your personal opinion. I'm not saying it's true or false - i'm just saying that out of an essay summarizing a poll, one is expected to find neutral interpretations (or as neutral as possible).

I would say the same about all your paragraphs where you summarize your interviews.

The purist way out of this would have been to include questions to the poll like :
"How do you find the queuing delay?"
"If you live in Australia, how often do you find full matches?"

Then you could have summarized the answers "Most of the Australian who answered this poll said they get a full match only in 1 game out of 2".

But it's very nice to have some stats on this either way, thank you! :thumb:

Thank you!

The essay brief was to use both the research & personal fieldwork to support findings, which is why I have some more personalised statements within it. The way I see it as long as I clearly state what is my personal experience and what is poll data it shouldn't really be an issue. Also, keep in mind my personal experience is based on 1800+ hrs of gameplay and frequent playing before & during the writing of the essay (With other AU/NZ and occasionally US players). Even so, I do agree that having personal accounts seems a bit out of place, but gotta follow the brief :P

The Lord Protector wrote:
Interesting stuff.

Is this essay for a module of game design or game theory? It's very narrative.

It was for a module called game cultures, usually within game design. In my case an elective, I'm in digital media design.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:33 pm 

Waviiiiiiie

Nice essay man,
Feedback wise I’d say its a pretty formal essay, though yeah I’d reiterate that the personal opinion aspect might distort the feel of the purpose of the data.
Overall interesting and this hasnt been done before.

Great job overall!
This diserves a duck for sure. :glasses:

@MrFawx