Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Ronimo, who's your target audience?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:11 am 

This is just a question that I asked myself when thinking about the fact that this game has just had another birthday. Truthfully: who's the target audience for this game anymore?
Is it the new players? That would make sense with the "Free to play MOBA!" branding this game has recieved and the various free giveaways we've had in recent history. However, the game's ranking system is still buggered beyond all belief and the bots are hot garbage making it impossible for a new player to practice and learn.
Is it the veteran players? The win medals and progression system with the specific 'nauts seems to cater to people who have been playing the game for awhile, yet there's still nothing for Veterans to do with Awesomepoints and the ranking system is completely buggered which makes it hard to enjoy this game for extended peroids of time.

Overall I can see bits catering to both the new audience and veteran players, but there are so many fragments missing from this game that neither side really has enough to stick to.
Oh and the ranking system is still buggered and needs a complete rework.

Alpha Z wrote:

Awesome :chucho: :sleep: [Femme :thumb: Fatal]
:LeonWink: (Chinese Ripoff Space Jam) Naut
Not a :glasses: :table:

Mafia stats.

Post subject: Re: Ronimo, who's your target audience?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:14 am 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Ronimo doesn't know.

That's part of the problem.

They don't know.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:08 am 

There are like 300 veteran players who all already have the All Nauts pack.

There are many times more new/casual players cycling in and out of the game, many of whom actually have things they might spend money on in the game, and potentially more still who haven't yet tried the game.

I don't think there should be any question that new players are the only logical business choice. The only conceivable reason to do anything but anything for veterans is to maintain a good business image, and what's that gotten? All the veterans just whine and moan about how terrible Ronimo are. Catering to vets has gotten them * all. :shrug:

If you wanted to get broader and not just talk about newbies vs. veterans, I'd say Ronimo is better off appealing to non-MOBA players than to existing MOBA players. If the millions of LOL/DOTA/HOTS/whatever players are actively playing those kinds of games, I don't think they're terribly desperate for another MOBA that plays so dramatically differently as Awesomenauts. Like, I enjoyed MapleStory because it was a platforming MMO. If it didn't exist, I wouldn't be playing WOW or something. I wouldn't be playing MMO's at all, because there wouldn't be one that appealed to me.

Basically, I'm saying that I think there's a lot more crossover between Awesomenauts and other platformers than there is between Awesomenauts and other MOBA's. If I were in their shoes, I would be focusing marketing efforts on new players who had a history of playing platformers/platform brawlers like Smash and Brawlhalla.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:37 am 

Totally agree with Xelrog. I like Awesomenauts because I like platformers in general. MOBAs on the other hand.. i was never interested enough to keep playing one.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:18 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
Xelrog wrote:
All the veterans just whine and moan about how terrible Ronimo are. Catering to vets has gotten them * all...

Do you hear that, everyone on the forums? You're all just as bad as I am.

Xelrog wrote:
If the millions of LOL/DOTA/HOTS/whatever players are actively playing those kinds of games, I don't think they're terribly desperate for another MOBA that plays so dramatically differently as Awesomenauts.

See, and then this is a slightly valid point, to which the counterpoint of "then why does Ronimo keep trying to make Awesomenauts like those other MOBAs" has been raised more times than I can actually remember.

You can't sit there and tell us that we're bad for criticizing Ronimo's decisions, only to then unintentionally make the point that their decisions have been, in your opinion, detrimental to this game. That's just nonsense.

That encourages the "indie developers can do no wrong" attitude that sinks the vast majority of them.

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:49 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
You can't sit there and tell us that we're bad for criticizing Ronimo's decisions, only to then unintentionally make the point that their decisions have been, in your opinion, detrimental to this game. That's just nonsense.

Being constructive and being a blind yesman who never criticizes anything are two different things.

More to the point, I wasn't suggesting that veteran players should have a better attitude. Trying to change the entire outlook of such a large group of people would be a waste of my time. I was saying that Ronimo shouldn't care about veteran players. And frankly, it would seem to me like they don't, at least not as much as forumers want them to. They'd be stupid to come out and say "Hey, you don't matter to us, loyal butthurt players," so in lieu of doing so, they remain silent. They can focus on new players while minimizing the damage to the company's image by just not saying out loud, "You're not the priority."

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:05 pm 

You know you could still talk to the devs if you wanted to rather then acting as if you're ignored. This is probs the most they've communicated in years. We aren't back to the radio silence, but the devs presence in the forums has lowered sure. Although i'd argue it's never been higher thanks to the Official discord.

I don't get where you're coming from Xelrog. I don't agree with every decision Ronimo makes, but I don't agree with you on the idea that catering to new/old players are completely exclusive to each other. You can make both audiences happy, but for that to happen Ronimo first needs to change their focus back to Nauts which will only happen once they finish S&S 2 again, and I mean I would never be opposed for Ronimo to once again get on the ball with advertising, and bringing life back to Nauts. Unsure how they'd do so now though without something big. For now the game's back to it's slow slow decline.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:27 pm 

On the catering to veterans vs newbies subject.

Veterans are the hardest one to satisfy for sure. But they have played the game for thousands of hours. They know the game's gameplay way better than the devs ever will ; simply because we play it more than them (which is perfectly normal).

We might complain a lot.. But I believe we don't complain for nothing. We are the long term players - new players come and go, but the veterans stay and come back every now and then. I'm not playing the entire year on awesomenauts ; but i always come back at some point.

Cattering to the veterans mean you contribute to lessen the decline, and actually create the bases for new players to stay by correcting the annoying parts of the game - that you don't really know about until you listen to the veterans.

But if you catter too much to the veterans, you will completely forget to think about how well the new players integrate the game. So both are important in my opinion. Monitor how well a newbie integrates in the game - but keep an eye on what the veterans have to say.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:35 am 

potterman28wxcv wrote:

Cattering to the veterans mean you contribute to lessen the decline, and actually create the bases for new players to stay by correcting the annoying parts of the game - that you don't really know about until you listen to the veterans.

So much this. If you cater exclusively to newbies then you game is just a hollow shell with an appealing poster that people put 200 hours in and then stop.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:52 am 

Morrowsaw wrote:
You know you could still talk to the devs if you wanted to rather then acting as if you're ignored.

Interesting you should say that: Ronimo don't always respond to their emails, actually.

I've had just as many successful email chains with them as I have had messages ignored (or lost to the aeons of time, I guess).

They're even worse at responding to privates messages, especially on this forum—although I suppose that's not unexpected. Don't get me wrong, they're not at anyone's beck and call, but something to consider.

I agree with the whole veterans versus new players discussion. Not catering for the portion of the playerbase that popularises the game is development suicide.

Source: every game ever made in any timeline ever. Before you use the words "promotional marketing" or "advertising campaign" as some sort of counterpoint, ask yourselves, "when was the last time I saw an advertisement for Awesomenauts?"

The answer is never. Word of mouth is all this game has going for it at this point. Veterans contribute massively, if not overwhelmingly, to that.

Naturally, though, it's all about that money. Why support veterans when you could support the purportedly extant new players and, more importantly, their fat stacks of cash?

Nekomian wrote:

DeezNauts wrote: