Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Reminder that leaderboards need an overhaul
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 am 

@Ronimo

Please, if you're going to do nothing for long periods of times (updates) then at LEAST make an update where you make leaderboards actually rewarding and fix all the broken things related to them. As multiple people have said hundreds of times before, it's not fun to win 5 rating a win and lose 100 per loss, overhaul the leaderboards. I don't care about new characters or maps as it is rn, I just want decent leaderboards where it's not entirely stacked against the player.

eddster27 wrote:
Slevens wrote:
Toilet paper isn't even mandatory though.
ikr u can just use yesterday's paper

Oil_Rope_Bombs wrote:
Lol, all you loser nerds can complain about is "muh leaderboards"

Baixst wrote:
More then one waifu will destroy your laifu.

Post subject: Re: Reminder that leaderboards need an overhaul
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:02 am 

The top of the leaderboard consists of players like me and you the can be expected to win 90%+ of our games. In what possible world can a leaderboard exist that doesn't make you lose multiple times more rating for losses than you gain for a win?

Previous suggestions have been to just copy hearthstone's system (with L1 being the equivalent of legend), an idea I quite like but that still can't change how rating works.

Check out my streams: twitch.tv/the_eddster27
Make sure you follow the MS Paint off!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 am 

The first one to suggest rank decay will get a slap in the knees.

On topic : ronimo missed the opportunity to put 2 Qs when the F2P era came out with the big influx of player (so separating players that were willing to climb from those who were just seeking immediate fun). This alone could've made the ladder overhaul process easier.
But now it's too late, there aren't any better solution than rehauling the league system together with the rating gain.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:20 am 

Yeah, the F2P timing was the perfect timing for leaderboards overhaul. It would have made a great system to keep players playing the game for longer via longer term goals. Playing till the end of the season would give you season bonus of Awesomepoints based on the ammount of matches played etc. For F2P players this would have meant that they could get 1-2 new nauts at the end of every season. More long term players=more skins sold.

Preferably something other for use of Awesomepoints too, but that has been complaind so many times already so I dont go there.

Can you make that under 255 characters so I can make it my signature?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:07 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
I really don't think that any amount of overhaul is going to make a difference at this point.

A leaderboard system can only work successfully if it actually has a decent enough playerbase to work with. I'm not of the opinion that Awesomenauts' is large enough for any "new" implementation to have any real benefit. I also don't think it would serve as an incentive to draw new players in, either.

As said, though, the perfect time to design a new ranking system was with the F2P Update. That time has long since passed.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:04 pm 

The Lord Protector wrote:
I really don't think that any amount of overhaul is going to make a difference at this point.

A leaderboard system can only work successfully if it actually has a decent enough playerbase to work with.

I mean, if you're going to make that argument, then there's no point doing anything Awesomenauts-related at all anymore. Nothing will explode the playerbase again. :shrug:

If we know they're going to continue working on it anyway down the line, better working leaderboards than more new characters we don't need.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:43 pm 

Location: In my palace, mixing my martinis with paint thinner and a healthy squirt of epoxy adhesive.
That's not what I said.

Just because a measure won't massively increase the playerbase does not mean it's out of the question—but something like a new leaderboard system won't provide any meaningful benefit without a large playerbase. It also in and of itself won't attract said playerbase boom, either.

I suppose it would give the veterans what they want, but that's a controversial point on these forums.

I agree with the 'Nauts thing; if we are getting any more of them (which is murky and unlikely), I'd rather they pushed the boat out a little, instead of being what we already have but with a different number of appendages.

Nekomian wrote:
Give this guy a duck lololol

DeezNauts wrote:
Nobody can see it. Maybe instead of asking for ducks, you should put it in your signature.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:52 pm 

I still think we don't need a fancy elo system and just having a flat increase/decrease in ranking for 95% of the games is good enough.

The year is 20XX. Everyone can play Awesomenauts to niki levels of perfection. All gameplay has been deemed irrelevant and matches are decided by a game of Roflnauts. All new metas are based on Roflnauts DMs.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:28 pm 

something like a new leaderboard system won't provide any meaningful benefit without a large playerbase.

I disagree. It would make playing the game feel much better and cause me and many players to play more, something which the response to threads like this signifies pretty clearly.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 pm 

Xelrog wrote:
something like a new leaderboard system won't provide any meaningful benefit without a large playerbase.

I disagree. It would make playing the game feel much better and cause me and many players to play more, something which the response to threads like this signifies pretty clearly.

Gameinsky wrote:
I still think we don't need a fancy elo system and just having a flat increase/decrease in ranking for 95% of the games is good enough.

A working leaderboard would ensure that a lot of players who like the game but don't play it regularly at end season will keep playing the game throughout without any significant breaks to maintain rankings.

For this season, the top 3 have been there since ~ 1st or 2nd week of June, & all of them have under 100 games. Imho they would play a lot more games if the leaderboard points gain did not reduce to ~ 1/5 th after one plays ~ 100-150 games in a season. This present point system also encourages smurfing which is never healthy for any competitive multiplayer game.