Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: Maya plugins?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:39 am 

Any chance of getting some Maya exporters? I'd like a crack at making a level but haven't used max in years!

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Maya plugins?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:33 pm 

Same here ;)
That's probably not gonna happen
But I'll just add my vote for the heck of it

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:45 am 
Ronimo Team Member

It's been years since I did any Maya scripting, so no, that would be way too much work to build. I believe converting files from Maya to 3dsmax has become a lot easier in recent years, though, so you could also try making the level in Maya and just converting to 3dsmax for the exporting. Be sure to try with just a couple of boxes and a spline first, though, because I am not sure this is going to work well.

You could also consider making your models in Maya and only placing them in 3dsmax. This way you won't have to learn any details of 3dsmax. Experienced Maya users will understand object placement almost immediately in 3dsmax.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:29 am 

Of course, but it's way harder to make test runs during the track construction, if you have to transfer it to max each time you're trying to make some adjustments...

Do you think it's possible for someone else to make a third party exporter, with some guidelines?
That's how they do with Indigo for example (and I know the Maya exporter guy quite well)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:11 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

I agree that constantly re-starting with minor changes is going to be really cumbersome with Maya through 3dsmax. I guess the only way to make this work is to make the meshes in Maya and do the actual track layout by placing the objects in 3dsmax. So the iterations to get the track to feel just right would be in 3dsmax, while at the same time the complex moddeling stuff would be in Maya.

Making extra exporters is of course totally okay with me! I would be honoured and I would love to see the tracks Maya users would make! 8-)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 pm 

Then you may want to write some pdf guidelines for exporters writers too,
what files are expected to be found in a track folder and stuff like that.
Or if it's something very common with OGRE, maybe some links to tutorials could help.

Apparently OGRE is available for a lot of 3d packages, and that would definitely open a lot of possibilities,
especially for a Blender or Sketchup exporter that everyone could freely use with the game.

In my opinion, additional tracks is the most important point to worry about if you want people to stick with Proun for a long time ;)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:02 pm 

I used to use max years ago so I could probably figure it out, but I think Il actually do my props in maya like you suggest until maya exporters possibly get made by someone.

Cheers :)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:48 pm 
Ronimo Team Member

Making documentation for how to write exporters is a bit too much work for what it is. If someone wants to give it a try, I'd rather answer specific questions here on the forum, instead of trying to explain everything.

Most of Proun's formats are text files anyway, so I think an experienced scripter will be able to figure it out quickly enough. :)