Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: My free2play questions
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:09 pm 

I have heard people say that the the largest portion of do$h the game produces comes from main game sales, but from the slowly descending, or more optimistically said - stagnating daily player numbers on the comunity page (1000 daily peak) i naturaly doubt it. When was the last time you saw any promotion awesomenauts got outside the good old matadors of the comunity?

I bellieve we can all agree that Awesomenauts is way underrated in gaming world for what it is.

If im correct and the game is not selling anyway, ronimo is living off dlc's and kickstarter remains. More people would obiviously buy more dlc's. The last thing i would like to see is pay2win, in this case pay for OPOM (of the month) character.

So why not make the game free on steam store.

Is there something i don't see? A reason behind Ronimo marketing passivity?

Post subject: Re: My free2play questions
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:23 pm 

Sadly the Ronimo devlopers are clueless so something like this will never go through. :/

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:29 pm 

Pezza wrote:
Sadly the Ronimo devlopers are clueless so something like this will never go through. :/

spam the streamisho thread with a request for an actual response!

ofc i mean ffs, COD can thrive on pc just well with p2p system so i don't see why a free game wouldn't!

in <3 with: :drool: :shrug: :think:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:31 pm 

Brightside wrote:
Is there something i don't see? A reason behind Ronimo marketing passivity?

They're small and don't have a marketing division. That, or, they're focusing on addressing the game's more major issues (like matchmaking) before initiating something like a big advertising campaign or a F2P model.

What's the point of getting new people to play if they just think "I'm tired of getting stomped by L1s" and leave? Retention comes first.

On Steam | On Twitch | On YouTube
Who's Your Awesomenaut?

Mains: :chew: :fist: :ayla:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:36 pm 

Let the new matchmaking servers come in first. Broken matchmaking will give bad first impressions.

But I'd imagine there would be a lot more griefers and cheaters if the game becomes free to play.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:13 pm 

TreyLina wrote:
But I'd imagine there would be a lot more griefers and cheaters if the game becomes free to play.

Ah yes, the cheaters. That is imo the most valid point against free2play in nauts, i didnt think of that.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:20 am 

Brightside wrote:
TreyLina wrote:

Ah yes, the cheaters. That is imo the most valid point against free2play in nauts, i didnt think of that.

i'd take all the muted idiots over a small playerbase anyday.

in <3 with: :drool: :shrug: :think:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 am 

There's ups and downs to such a market. Likely Ronimo has weighed the options and decided the game is better off as a paid-with-microtransactions/dlc model.

My YouTube Channel
Ronimo Code of Conduct

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:01 am 
Ronimo Team Member

Brightside wrote:
... When was the last time you saw any promotion awesomenauts got outside the good old matadors of the comunity? ...

We got a frontpage sale on Steam in the Summer Sale quite recently and we recently upgraded our booth for conventions. We had a big booth at both Gamescom and PAX Prime. :ayla:

Brightside wrote:
... If im correct and the game is not selling anyway, ronimo is living off dlc's and kickstarter remains. ...

Nope, core game is also still generating good revenue. :scoop:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:31 pm 

Joost wrote:
Brightside wrote:
... When was the last time you saw any promotion awesomenauts got outside the good old matadors of the comunity? ...

We got a frontpage sale on Steam in the Summer Sale quite recently and we recently upgraded our booth for conventions. We had a big booth at both Gamescom and PAX Prime. :ayla:

Brightside wrote:
... If im correct and the game is not selling anyway, ronimo is living off dlc's and kickstarter remains. ...

Nope, core game is also still generating good revenue. :scoop:

At the end of the day you guys know what's best about your financials and have to act in your own self interest. However I hope the plan isn't to keep this game behind a paywall for the foreseeable future.

I agree that the happy matchmaking server needs to come out first before any big player boom but even with it in place there's only so much that can be done for good matchmaking if we don't have the population(from your own blog post). Like all other games in this genre(Smite, Dota 2, Lol, Vainglory) the initial lure has to be that it's free to receive the playerbase that will get this game on the map and have enough people where DLC can compensate for the price of the base game. I know there are much more factors(more netcode improvements, possibly awesomepoints, better system for dealing with complaints, etc) involved but this game will never grow at the rate a moba should be growing if there is an initial payment attached.