Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ Awesomenauts

Post subject: [READ FIRST!] Before posting a thread on balance
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:38 am 

I've been seeing more and more pointless balance threads, therefore I have made this quick, simple, and easy guide on how and when you should post a balance thread.

Five questions to ask yourself before you make a thread on balance

1. Are there already other threads about the same thing I was going to make a thread on?

2. Does the issue really belong in the Balance & Tactics sub-forum?

3. Is this an actual issue, or am I just angry about losing against a better player?

4. How many games/hours have I played? Could not having enough experience in the game be clouding how I perceive the issue?

5. Do I perceive "X" as an issue due to the Naut I main? Is it possible that a simple change in playstyle could be the answer?

How to make a well received balance thread

10 Tips for making a better thread

-Avoid the wall of text. Break up your thread to make it easier on the eyes.

-Avoid making a one sentence thread. Even if your point is valid, it may be dismissed due being so sparse and undetailed. This doesn't mean that simple is bad, but if you haven't outlined your idea enough people may not be able to understand quite what you are getting at.

-If you suggest a balance change tell us why you think it should happen. Don't just say you want it without proper reasoning.

-Make sure your thread is spelled correctly and you don't have any major grammatical errors. While this is a bit of a minor point it is much easier to read and understand a correctly spelled post then one with sloppy spelling.

-Think out your thread before writing it. A well thought-out thread makes it much easier on everyone reading it.

-If you want a nerf on a 'Naut/upgrade/ability you need to make sure that you don't come off as wanting the nerf because you just have trouble countering it. If the reason you do want the nerf is because you have trouble countering "X" then you need to prove that it is unbalanced.

-Give proof and data to back up your claims and points.

-Make sure your proposal is as simple as possible, while being as effective as possible.

These last two tips, apply more to responding to comments, after the thread is made

-Don't ever answer a comment angrily. Instead, intelligently explain why you think such and such is wrong in the least insulting manner possible.

-You do not have to answer every single comment! If you feel like you need to answer multiple comments, wait until you have a few to answer. Then you can quote and answer them in one post.

Hopefully this will help you in make threads as well as help clean up some of the clutter inside the Balance & Tactics sub-forum.

Other Helpful Tips

-Try to get the simplest, yet equally/most effective, suggestion possible to fix a supposed balance problem. Many people suggest some very radical changes or even a complete overhaul, which sometimes won't even fix the problem. But a much more basic and simple fix could get a similar or better result. XD

Also, basic and simple suggestions are much more easy to implement and test.

-Before crying that something is OP or UP and requesting for changes, check if there is a beta patch thread first. The changes you want may be coming.

-Look through the first three pages before posting a thread

Also feel free to suggest other tips or ask questions. :)

Last edited by Treeby on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [Read]Before You Make a Thread on Balance
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:40 am 

sticky this
now
pls

anything mikal has ever said is automatically funny and i would recommend avoiding that garbage *

I've officially quit endorsing Ronimo due to how Machiel handled a certain scenario involving user harassment.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 pm 

Lol I agree with most points, but what do you especifically mean by "make it interesting to read"? :mrgreen:

Tired talking about balancing, so good news for you guys! No more wall of texts coming from me ;p

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 pm 

Stickeh!

Add me on Steam if you need to reach me: ToasterTank

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:45 pm 

Sorry i have to do this:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10095

Joost wrote:
Kiwis are like bananas, but less red. :kiss:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:02 pm 

People won't care. They just want a thread under their own name. There could be a "Gnaw is OP" thread near the top of the page and someone will make another thread anyways about the exact same topic.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:15 pm 

Lightning wrote:
People won't care. They just want a thread under their own name. There could be a "Gnaw is OP" thread near the top of the page and someone will make another thread anyways about the exact same topic.

Yep because everyone wants to give their own reason as to why they think it. It doesn't matter though, as if only one person made a post about balance for a certain naut and that was FINAL, then this forum would become dull and boring.

Secondary: Skollderp
R.I.P me maining Skolldir. Late November- patch1.15
Skolldir LIVES1.18!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:16 pm 

Finally, why hasn't this thread been made earlier?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 pm 

Lightning wrote:

If a thread such as this improves the quality of one in twenty threads, isn't it still worth it. It's not about convincing everyone (That's pretty much impossible) it's all about improvement, no matter how small.

Add me on Steam if you need to reach me: ToasterTank

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 pm 

I think people should just stop making balance threads. Since Clever Girl and NerfPyro made their thread on Gnaw and with Ronimo listening to them (and then Team Awful on whatever other trouble there was) it's been a blizzard of balance threads.

Before that, most people were discussing the patch changes and strategy ideas to beat certain characters (and sometimes people found out one was too strong or too weak that way). Now everybody wants a piece of the cake and everybody suggests ideas instead of clearly identifying the problems. I think the main subject back then was how RNG was annoying, and that was pretty much it.

I for one am a little sick of how this forum turned out. Let Ronimo do their jobs. It's not fun reading this part of the forum anymore with so many people thinking they have the idea of the year to fix a character.

Alijar wrote:
OH GOD NO.
NO.
HOW COULD YOU DO THIS.

catgame21234 wrote:
DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK I WOKE UP MY ROOMMATE SCREAMING
:GnawCry: :GnawCry: :GnawCry: :GnawCry: